Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Davis

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
rose davis

Interesting article about George Davis. I remember the campaign well, and even the song by Sham 69! Graffiti went up not only in the East End, but also in Old Kent Road, and a few places in Charlton, Greenwich and Woolwich.

But I didn't know much about Rose Davis - sounds like she got a rough deal in the end.

Comments

• Options
    I remember them well, in fact I'm sure until recently you could still see one of them on one of the M1 footbridges near Luton.
  • Options
    gdavis.jpg
  • Options
    lol, nice one DA9, brings back memories!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "IS INNOCENT OKAY !!".
  • Options
    *IAN DOWIE IS GUILTY OK

*Add where appropriate Pardew/Parkinson/Pardky etc etc
  • Options
    I remember the campaign and release and then him being convicted of armed robbery later and everyone thinking, ah he was a real villain after all....I think loads of people felt let down. Sounds like Rosie was old school east end......a sad end for her.
  • Options
    some of the people who did the spraying came from Welling. He was a villian and ttaly set up truely at the end .
  • Options
    I remember the campaign - wasn't he the fireman wrongly convicted in Brookside years ago ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I remember the campaign - wasn't he the fireman wrongly convicted in Brookside years ago ?

George Jackson?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I remember the campaign - wasn't he the fireman wrongly convicted in Brookside years ago ?
    And Deirdre in Corrie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]rose davis

Interesting article about George Davis. I remember the campaign well, and even the song by Sham 69! Graffiti went up not only in the East End, but also in Old Kent Road, and a few places in Charlton, Greenwich and Woolwich.

But I didn't know much about Rose Davis - sounds like she got a rough deal in the end.

Didn't they dig up The Oval?
  • Options
    The free George Jackson campaign song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3rkLMQjSE&feature=related
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

Public activism
    On August 19, 1975, while Davis was serving a 20 year prison sentence for the Ilford LEB robbery the pitch at the Headingley cricket ground was dug up by his supporters, preventing further play in the test match between England and Australia.[2] This dramatic direct action protest by relatives and friends of George Davis was accompanied by typical Davis Campaign graffiti proclaiming "FREE GEORGE DAVIS ... JUSTICE FOR GEORGE DAVIS ... GEORGE DAVIS IS INNOCENT ... SORRY IT HAD TO (BE) DONE". Three men and one woman went on trial in relation to this incident, and one, Peter Chappell was eventually jailed for eighteen months. The Davis campaigners who were remanded to prison to await trial for the Headingley sabotage continued their campaigning in support of one another within the prison system. Geraldine Hughes, the female accused, refused to accept bail until it had also been granted to all of her co-accused.

I knew there was something about cricket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

It was Headingley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]lol, nice one DA9, brings back memories!

Norman road, Greenwich ?
  • Options
    The whole case shows how some people, and more often than not the liberal arty farty type, will take up any campagin or cause against the government and lawmakers. Dear old George made them all look pretty silly.
    What I remember of the whole thing was them ruining the 3rd Test at Leeds. England captain Tony Grieg was prepared to play on on another strip but Ian Chappell declined. We were in a reasonable posistion but not necessarly a locked on win.
    The day it happened I distinctly remember one of Davis' supporters appearing on ITV's News at One. This was usually presented by Robert Key but I seem to remember Leonard Parkin doing the interview. He kept saying things like "How did you feel under the covers (covers covering the pitch)." Or "How did you get into the ground" etc, trying to get the bloke to incriminate himself. Nice try but didn't work.
    I reckon a young Gary Richardson was watching too judging by his awful interviewing technique on BBC Radio 4+5!
  • Options
    Thanks for putting this up. I have always had this recollection that when I was a kid my mum waking me up and telling me that the test match was off because someone had dug up the pitch. I could never remember how old I was or why it happened.

Now I know I was 13 and why.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    I remember Fletcher tricking someone to dig up Elland Rd although it was actually Loftus Rd
  • Options
    One of the blokes that was responsible for the Headingly test match sabotage played in the same Cricket team as me in Dulwich.
    They actually poured oil all over the strip making it unplayable. A few days later he was seen stark naked in a row boat in full glare of TV cameras. All part of the campaign to Free Davis.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I remember Fletcher tricking someone to dig up Elland Rd although it was actually Loftus Rd[/quote]

You sure (Sir) Henry.
    I know that Lords like yourself are never wrong, but I do seem to remember a "Leeds United" sign there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I remember Fletcher tricking someone to dig up Elland Rd although it was actually Loftus Rd

You sure (Sir) Henry.
    I know that Lords like yourself are never wrong, but I do seem to remember a "Leeds United" sign there

Not a lord, only a Knight and I'm often wrong.

It was meant to be Elland Rd and there was a shot of the Elland Rd entrance but I read somewhere that is was QPR which as we know is just around the corner from BBC TV centre in White City.

So in the story Fletcher sets someone up to get back the property of an elderly prisoner. Who played the aged lag?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]One of the blokes that was responsible for the Headingly test match sabotage played in the same Cricket team as me in Dulwich.
    They actually poured oil all over the strip making it unplayable. A few days later he was seen stark naked in a row boat in full glare of TV cameras. All part of the campaign to Free Davis.

I thought that they had poured oil over the wicket but didn't want to ask in case I was wrong.
  • Options
    Henry; c'mon thats easy !!
    Shall I put the answer or leave it for a puzzle ?

(I'll whisper you the answer).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Henry; c'mon thats easy !!
    Shall I put the answer or leave it for a puzzle ?

(I'll whisper you the answer).

Whisper it and see if anyone else gets it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]One of the blokes that was responsible for the Headingly test match sabotage played in the same Cricket team as me in Dulwich.

And his nephew played for Blackheath CC with me!
  • Options
    Wasn't he just a total c*nt in the end? I remember reading on this very site how he didn't give a toss about what everybody had done for him and was quite happy to play the innocent party whilst just laughing at those who tried to help him.

So in the end the cricket was messed up for nothing. I wonder how all his supporters felt when they found out he was a lying toe rag and did it all along?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was at school in Stepney during the George Davis campaign, local hero who we all knew was guilty, although fitted up for that crime and his eventual arrest was not un expected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The whole case shows how some people, and more often than not the liberal arty farty type, will take up any campagin or cause against the government and lawmakers.

The point is that while he was a petty criminal with form he was sent down for a crime he didn't commit, which means that the perpetrators of that crime went free.

I guess you Daily Mail types don't care as long as someone/anyone goes down for a crime...
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

The point is that while he was a petty criminal with form he was sent down for a crime he didn't commit, which means that the perpetrators of that crime went free.

I guess you Daily Mail types don't care as long as someone/anyone goes down for a crime...

Vintage BFR!!!
    You know nothing of this case or the time, you weren't even born. He did NOT go down for a crime he didn't commit - he got released from prison for a crime he DID commit, because of a very well organised campaign.
    Stick to the 1990's fella and keep your uninformed liberal, long haired, Union Bar outdated Marxist ideas to yourself son. You are so wrong about this one it's untrue!
    I refer you to my earlier post young man,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]You know nothing of this case or the time, you weren't even born. He did NOT go down for a crime he didn't commit - he got released from prison for a crime he DID commit, because of a very well organised campaign.
    Stick to the 1990's fella and keep your uninformed liberal, long haired, Union Bar outdated Marxist ideas to yourself son. You are so wrong about this one it's untrue! I refer you to my earlier post young man,

No one knows for sure, but the weight of evidence at the time was that he went down for a crime he did not commit for the crimes he did commit. The police at the time were of the mind that the end justified the means.