Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parkinson: the right decision?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Stability. That's the key word in Charlton's professional-era history. With stability, Charlton have achieved monumental success. By keeping faith in the people in charge, Charlton have reaped rewards. Take the long-term view and benefit; change and lose.

And Charlton aren't the only club to have benefited from sticking doggedly to “the plan”. Manchester United and Arsenal have come close to ditching their managers. But Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have both achieved more for their clubs than any other manager, precisely because their boards backed them. They were given time: they came up with the goods.

Switching managers is frequently the fastest route to disaster. Two clubs, for instance, have used three managers in a Premiership season. Southampton and Charlton. What else did these two seasons bring in common? Relegation. And we may well be close to seeing the three-manager-and-down rule being played out again this season at Portsmouth.
At Charlton, our greatest ever manager oversaw a period of dramatic growth; two promotions; top-flight football; and appearances at Wembley. This, in a career of over 700 matches in charge. And we named a stand after him. It is no coincidence that the next manager, after Jimmy Seed, to be allowed to take charge for more than 700 games had similar success. Alan Curbishley also oversaw two promotions; also brought top-flight football back to the Valley and also took Charlton to Wembley twice.

These two managers were given a tough job as manager of “financially-crippled” Charlton and were then given the most precious commodity: time. Now, Phil Parkinson has the same role and can deliver; if only he is also provided with the same, critical element to do his job. There may be people inside and outside the club as well as on the playing staff, who would prefer Charlton had a different manager. As a player, it’s very easy to blame the manager for the team’s predicament. And very easy to undermine a manager, simply because you don’t want him to be in charge – or, in some cases, simply because you don’t want to play for the club any more. But, the sooner the players know that Charlton is going to back Parkinson; that Parkinson is fully and solely in charge; and we’re going to do it Parkinson’s way, the better.

Comments

• Options
    thanks Derek for clarifying matters, Parky in charge for another 680 odd games then !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thanks Derek for clarifying matters, Parky in charge for another 680 odd games then !!
    Derek?
  • Options
    We named a stand after Jimmy Seed?

Could have fooled me. : - (

Seriously, I'm with you, Chizz.
  • Options
    Hard to argue with any of that.
    Only difference now is that the money men seem to dictate what happens in football nowadays unfortunately and a 5 - 10 year plan is a thing of the past.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thanks Derek for clarifying matters, Parky in charge for another 680 odd games then !!
    Derek?

sounds like spin from the Board
  • Options
    But most people expect a quick fix.

In the past 3 years, amongst all those people, we must include not only supporters but also the Board.

A quick glance at the table shows we're desperate for another quick fix.
    But the Board have signalled that's not going to happen.

Whether he's popular or not, Parky has shown that he wants different players compared to Pardew's team - and that his biggest handicap is the pressure caused by the need for results and lack of time to start from scratch.

If we want it any different, then we'll have to go for the quick fix.
    This time round, the Board has apparently decided no.
  • Options
    Whether we like Parkinson or not , fact remains from below average Premiership side to potential Div 1 side
    is our reality . Before you climb you have to stop the slide. So there is no option but to keep Parkinson until at least the end of the season. Then review.
  • Options
    This is in fact a brilliant post Chizz needless to say I agree with you!
  • Options
    Like the general tone Chizz, athough not quite sure where you "Charlton have achieved monumental success." from! lol.

Trouble is, you will get nowhere sticking with a manager if he's no bloody good! I'm with you though cos I like Parky, but we need to learn that stability includes a settled side/squad as well as management team and we have to be sure Parky is the right man before we go backing him unconditionaly.
  • Options
    What Chizz said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]We named a stand after Jimmy Seed?

You are mistaken Enery me old son. We named a stand after Jimmy South
  • Options
    I don't agree with you at all Chizz, but it is a well set out and reasoned post that i enjoyed reading.

A lot of the problem with debating chance / stability is that it is largely done with a huge spoonful of hindsight. And it also has to be remembered that clubs rarely sack managers when a manager is taking the team in the right direction.

Charlton did not sack Pardew because they had a thirst for change for example, if anything the opposite, they did so because it appeared that they could see no way of him arresting the slide. They would have considered:
    1. the success of his purchases,
    2. results history,
    3. the appetite of supporters and investors to maintain faith and seek a potential long-term view,
    4. whether the squad of players he had amassed appeared to still be with him.

I would argue that at the point when all those reasons come together, they then bit the bullet.

Its slightly different this time round, but if the rumour field is to be believed, and examples shown with Moo2 the other night, then it appears not all the squad is behind Parky. If that grows to the majority of the squad, then they will have no choice but to act again.

Out of all those reasons, clearly the views of the average fan does not count for much any more.
  • Options
    Chizz is right in principle.

The only question then is whether or not Parky is the right man to back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Take the long-term view and benefit; change and lose.

You have to have the right manager in charge for that to work. Not saying he won't change it around eventually, he might, but if it was that simple we should have just kept Les Reed.
  • Options
    Chizz - I'm liking your work - generally speaking. But the fundemental assumption on which you base your post is the following: "Now, Phil Parkinson has the same role and can deliver". What evidence is there that Parkinson "can deliver"? None that I've seen so far at this club.
  • Options
    its a tricky one to assess tho, picking up the mess and turning it around is a tall order for anyone

quality of squad
    morale/confidence of squad
    ability to motivate squad from manager

the only real answer in such a scenario is to bring in enough players of sufficient quality, and without enough resources Parky (or probably anyone else) is unlikely to succeed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]We named a stand after Jimmy Seed?

You are mistaken Enery me old son. We named a stand after Jimmy South

Are you sure?

I remember reading a very well written account in Voice of the Valley about a pre-world war one player who was as a winger until he lost a foot in a work accident at the Woolwich Arsenal so he switched to keeper instead.

He signed up for the Army in 1916 but lost his sight due to a mustard gas attack at third Ypres but when he came back he still played in goal for a few games. He never played a football league game but he was then Groundsman at the Valley until a fatal accident when he was driving the motorised lawn mower in 1926.

His name was Joe South and he is who I named my son after and who I thought the Stand was named after.
  • Options
    For what its worth Murray did say at the AGM that Parkinson realises that if he doesnt turn this club around in six months then he's not easily going to get another managers job and that as a result he is under significant personal pressure to deliver for the club and his own reputation in the game.

Its far too early too say if Parky is the right man. There are both some good signs and some bad but his period in charge so far is fundamentally underlined by a massive lack of points. I think he's been really unlucky with injuries and to some degree with one or 2 results. But I would have absolutely no problem if some of the players were not happy with Parky. Provided its the right players.

I personally dont taint Parky with failure during the Pardew era. Pardew was his own man and I am pretty sure Parky was very much 'low key' second in command. But its clear many fans (maybe most) dont see it that way.

I wonder what it is like for Parky knowing that his previous boss was given capital to spend on new players and a larger payroll for players and having cocked up is rewarded with a fat pay off. Parky is probably on half/third of Pardews salary and is doing his best with what hes been given and with the knowledge if he cocks up there is no fat pay cheque and his reputation in the business probably ruined for some time.

AFKAs thread on alternative managers (within the available budget) didnt throw up any obvious candidates. I just it hope it works out for Parky and us but it does seem just about everything that has happened post Curbs has gone tits up. I dont want any other Championship club to go into administration but if it does it might show this Board have taken some tough decisions that were the right ones for the longer term.
  • Options
    Agreed we need to give a manager time, but not this one.

And if the manager has to be given time what about the players? has parky given mootoo time? or dickson? or youga? or shelvey? .....etc

How many players have played more than three or four games in a row?

Has he even played the same 11 for two games in a row?

Not all his fault i Know but for me he just aint the man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]Agreed we need to give a manager time, but not this one.

And if the manager has to be given time what about the players? has parky given mootoo time? or dickson? or youga? or shelvey? .....etc

How many players have played more than three or four games in a row?

Has he even played the same 11 for two games in a row?

Not all his fault i Know but for me he just aint the man.

Can you name your preferred alternative?

I think he has given Shelvey and Dickson more opportunities than Pardew. Injuries and the January window have impacted a lot on selection. I also think Parky has been shuffling the pack to see what combinations might be best. And like many clubs I think he used the FA Cup as an opportunity to try the youngsters. With some better news on the injury front maybe by the end of Februay we may have a clearer picture of Parkys preferred starting X1. I appreciate that may be too late.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoughtful posts here My tuppence worth would be this. Parkinson has acquired a poisoned chalice and really cannot win. He has no money to spend and prob is aware that he is not the first choice but in post because we could afford him. Surely one would suggest that the oard are of the veiw that he will steer HMS CAFC to the end of the Season. If He had kept us up the job was his, if not then au revoir phil thanks and then we would reappoint someone from the lower leagues.

I have not seen us for ages due to being away i India but the change with PP has not given better results but some of the signing have shown where we think we are going though I hear positive reports in relation to Spring.

I return on Sat, weather permitting, to see what I believe is a Club I love prepaing for League 1. The key question is does the Board stick with PP next season? I can see them doing it tho I hope I am wrong. I do not feel that PP is the man and we need a change a cear out but that is for another post.

Up the Addicks

Milne
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    I wonder what it is like for Parky knowing that his previous boss was given capital to spend on new players and a larger payroll for players and having cocked up is rewarded with a fat pay off. Parky is probably on half/third of Pardews salary and is doing his best with what hes been given and with the knowledge if he cocks up there is no fat pay cheque and his reputation in the business probably ruined for some time.

I feel really sorry for Parky, I like Parky but what I want is 3 points.
  • Options
    Imiss wrote: ''Its far too early too say if Parky is the right man.''

Isn't that what Chao En-Lai said when asked about the impact of the French Revolution on history on the ocassion of its 150th anniversary?
  • Options
    All for a bit of stability, just didn't want to have to go to League One to get it. Parky's position is untenable in May. What do they do if we start poorly? They will have to out him and start again. His record is appalling, irrespective of the rubbish he's working with - let's face it, he's been working with them for ages, not just four months. No, I believe they'll clean the slate and stick with whoever they appoint for next season. My money's on least cost, which would mean another internal appointment - Parky could slip back to his previous role which, arguably, he hasn't left.
  • Options
    'Alan Curbishley also oversaw two promotions; also brought top-flight football back to the Valley and also took Charlton to Wembley twice.'
    ?
    I'm with Terry Pratchett on this one – I vaguely recall a play-off final or some such, but twice?
    Must be having one of those CRAFT moments!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Imiss wrote: ''Its far too early too say if Parky is the right man.''

Isn't that what Chao En-Lai said when asked about the impact of the French Revolution on history on the ocassion of its 150th anniversary?

If we must go back I prefer this extract of a quote from Douglas Haig on 11 April 1918

There is no other course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Imiss wrote: ''Its far too early too say if Parky is the right man.''

If we must go back I prefer this extract of a quote from Douglas Haig on 11 April 1918

There is no other course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end.

Remind me Peanutman, Didn't we, after a bit of a poor March, go on an 100 day winning run and ended up as Champions that season?
  • Options
    90 minute run (95, perhaps?) could prove handy right now.
  • Options
    brilliant - lets quote from one of the men who made the biggest blunders in modern warfare, letting thousanda of our men die needlessly as cannon fodder for he germans in ww1

just about sums us up............lions led by donkeys
  • Options
    Golfie, what does it take for you to have a good day ....?

;o)