Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2 New categories for the forum please - Optimists and Pessimists!

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
I wish people would get a grip and realise that whilst the situation is "grim" right now - we would be right back in it if we had got a bit of luck in the past weeks

OK - so we lost by the odd goal on both occasions - but i honestly believe that we have been pretty unlucky all season with late winners, injuries etc etc and surely we are due a spot of good fortune soon.

If we can pick up 2 wins in our 2 coming home games we could be right back in the battle to stay up and I honestly think we can do it.

Everyone knows we are all at sea, we have injuries galore, no money and no form to speak of - but I look at the players and I know all of them can do a better job than they are right now. We are nowhere near relegated and there are a lot of games left. We are 2 wins from being back in the battle and that starts again this weekend. If we can get some sort of home form then we could be in with a shout.

We have reasons to be cheerful - Jonjo is still here, Spring is looking to be a useful acquisition, Dicko is getting a game, we are not likely to go into administration any time soon. We have a very passionate coaching team and some good kids waiting to come through. OK - so our manager makes some peculiar tactical decisions from time-to-time - but he is our manager and we need to support him.

Even if we do get relegated the majority on here will still be going next season so lets not be destructive and lets get behind our team
It's always been an adventure, it's always been fun being an Addick - that's why we love this club so much.
Let's get behind the lads - whoever is wearing the shirt - and lets get this club moving in the right direction once more.

Come on you Addicks!!

Comments

• Options
    Agree totally.
    Just about to write my piece for Saturdays "AA" and was going to write exactly that.
    Damn you Swisdom !!
    ;-)
  • Options
    There is nothing to disagree with in what you have written Swisdom.

Yet, for some reason I cannot put my finger on, I seem unable to shift my Charlton mindset to positive rather than negative.

Perhaps I spend too much time on here! My wife certainly thinks that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]There is nothing to disagree with in what you have written Swisdom.

Yet, for some reason I cannot put my finger on, I seem unable to shift my Charlton mindset to positive rather than negative.

Len, you spend too much time on here. : - )

Well said Swisdom, I agree totally.

Didn't stop me feeling more down on Tuesday night than someone who has fallen down a mine shaft after overdosing on downers while listening to Leonard Cohen records.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    OK - so we lost by the odd goal on both occasions - but i honestly believe that we have been pretty unlucky all season with late winners, injuries etc etc and surely we are due a spot of good fortune soon.

I suppose sitting on a 1 goal lead and inviting Burnley to attack us leading to their inevitable goals was unlucky. Is being desperately short of defensive cover all season unlucky, or is it just bad management? This led us to have Matt Holland marking Dele Adebola who scored twice. That's not unlucky.
    There was money to get Ward in when injuries forced it, so why was no cover brought in sooner?
    I suppose persisting with 451 away from home until last week even though it brought absolutely no success and resulted in the poorest away record in the league is unlucky too?
    Leaving Dickson out all season when it was apparent to all he was bursting for a chance and could get us some goals, and preferring the likes of Todorov, McLeod and Waghorn over him at times is unlucky?
    Buying Burton who'd scored 1 goal in 20 for Sheff Weds is unlucky?
    Persisting with Andy Gray up front even though he was consistently woeful and offered us nothing was unlucky?
    We have been badly mismanaged from to to bottom for a long time and whilst i admire your optimism, i think you should just accept that we're not going to suddenly embark on an amazing winning run and stay up. Our defence are not going to stop conceding sloppy goals, our midfield are not suddenly going to start creating loads of chances and our strikers are not suddenly going to start hitting hat tricks every week. Face facts we're not unlucky, we're just useless.
    Rant over.
  • Options
    With a little bit...with a little bit...
    With a little bit of luck, He's movin' up.
    With a little bit...with a little bit...
    With a little bit of bloomin luck!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]T

Len, you spend too much time on here. : - )

You two married .... ?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why, you got a problem with that? : - )
  • Options
    Nope, Henry. I'm not jealous at all...... ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I suppose sitting on a 1 goal lead and inviting Burnley to attack us leading to their inevitable goals was unlucky. Is being desperately short of defensive cover all season unlucky, or is it just bad management? This led us to have Matt Holland marking Dele Adebola who scored twice. That's not unlucky.
    There was money to get Ward in when injuries forced it, so why was no cover brought in sooner?
    I suppose persisting with 451 away from home until last week even though it brought absolutely no success and resulted in the poorest away record in the league is unlucky too?
    Leaving Dickson out all season when it was apparent to all he was bursting for a chance and could get us some goals, and preferring the likes of Todorov, McLeod and Waghorn over him at times is unlucky?
    Buying Burton who'd scored 1 goal in 20 for Sheff Weds is unlucky?
    Persisting with Andy Gray up front even though he was consistently woeful and offered us nothing was unlucky?
    We have been badly mismanaged from to to bottom for a long time and whilst i admire your optimism, i think you should just accept that we're not going to suddenly embark on an amazing winning run and stay up. Our defence are not going to stop conceding sloppy goals, our midfield are not suddenly going to start creating loads of chances and our strikers are not suddenly going to start hitting hat tricks every week. Face facts we're not unlucky, we're just useless.
    Rant over.

As I said "OK - so our manager makes some peculiar tactical decisions from time-to-time - but he is our manager and we need to support him."

He is not at fault for everything at this club - but he is the gaffer.

The more destructive our fans get - the more it affects the team and playing staff

[cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Agree totally.
    Just about to write my piece for Saturdays "AA" and was going to write exactly that.
    Damn you Swisdom !!
    ;-)

Feel free to use it - and quote me!
  • Options
    Oh no, we're not going down the "it's the boo boys" route again are we? I think we can safely say that our players and manager(s) for the last few seasons are more responsible for our predicament than a few people expressing their unhappiness at the end of the match...can't we???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Oh no, we're not going down the "it's the boo boys" route again are we? I think we can safely say that our players and manager(s) for the last few seasons are more responsible for our predicament than a few people expressing their unhappiness at the end of the match...can't we???

Agreed - but seeing as the players aren't up to raising the spirits - maybe we need to do a bit more.

Or we could both sulk and watch the club go tits up
  • Options
    i always get behind the team at the ground(not you sharon) but on here i feel saying we're a bunch of kack and we're going down relieves some of my charlton stress and then waxing lyrical about the miracle years under curbs helps relax me further ;-)
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited February 2009
    Can I just quote Winston Churchill for a second, "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty", now in the state we r in I'm sure its hard to find any opportunities so really I feel it is wrong to hit out at people for viewing things pessimistically, its just a fact that we r in a very tight situation with very little finance and really maybe it is the best thing to start planning for next year because each week we keep bigging ourselves up and always end up dissapointed, now I for one know for a fact that we r not a club that should be in this situation, but we hav to deal with it and really League 1 is not all that bad, I mean what's happened to a club having a 5 year plan for Europe thee days in the Prem, it's fast becoming one big money game where each week you go to grounds with a shit atmosphere such as Wigan expecting to get battered simply cause ur not as rich as the other clubs in the league, now I'm not saying it is always like that but I think its goodbye to the days where team spirit and a top manager would keep you up, it is now, "Survival of the richest", and it makes me sick, so if we r to be a division 2 side for the next 5 years, so be it, I would rather travel to away games and hav a good time on the few remaining terraces and small number of hardcore fans than be a yo-yo club who can't create stability due to the fact that they do not hav enough money, bring on the Millwall away, bring on the Oldham, we may just end up being a bigger fish in a smaller pond!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    With a little bit of luck we can make it in this league.

I agree with you swisdom as crazy as everyone thinks it is - hell even I think it's crazy!
  • Options
    Win a couple of the next few games then anything is possible

H - Cardiff
    H - Plymouth
    A - Barnsley
    A - Swansea
    H - Doncaster
    H - Watford
    A - Reading
    A - Wolves
    H - Preston
    A - Southampton
    H - Birmingham
    A - Coventry
    H - Blackpool
    A - Derby
    H - Norwich
  • Options
    27 points I reckon from that lot - maybe I've got my CAFC goggles on again.
  • Options
    Those last 4 games are going to be massive - if we are still in with a shout they could make for a very entertaining finale