Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I vaguely remember

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
reading in the programme shortly before Peter Varney left that the Club had acquired an interest in some land in the West Malling area (I think it was).

Is it a conspiracy theory too far to suggest that now we are virtually a league 1 club there could be a plan to build a new ground and cash in on the development potential of The Valley?

I realise that the "credit crunch" renders a problematic element to development projects but in theory it would be possible, given the cheaper land prices in Kent, to build a small (15,000 ish) ground to suit our new status and pocket some profit from disposing of The Valley.

If the Kent site is large enough they could even build a new training ground too and flog the one in Eltham for housing which could generate yet more profit.

It could be the ideal way for the directors both to get their loans repaid and restructure the finances of the Club in the absence of a buyer.

Even if we were to get a buyer the new owner (s) would be unlikely to be fans and thus would have no allegiance to The Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't Sparrows Lane Green Belt protected, only permitted for sports/recreational use?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Isn't Sparrows Lane Green Belt protected, only permitted for sports/recreational use?

Yes it probably is in theory.

However I can remember hearing Prescott on Question time saying that the Green Belt should no longer be sacrosanct if in the public interest (whatever that means).

If the politicians agree with developing something they invariably find a way to do it!
  • Options
    What's West Malling like? Never been there, know nothing of the area, but I'd imagine outside of urban/brownfield sites you'd have problem getting permission for a new stadium unless you're very cunning. Nice conspiracy theory, mind!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What's West Malling like? Never been there, know nothing of the area, but I'd imagine outside of urban/brownfield sites you'd have problem getting permission for a new stadium unless you're very cunning. Nice conspiracy theory, mind!

I don't know it particularly well myself but there has been a housing and business development in the Kings hill area of West Malling so with our community links we could probably argue a case for it being of benefit to more than just the football club. All weather pitches for hire perhaps?
  • Options
    It's Kings Hill (ex RAF West Malling Airfield) and we may have eventually moved the training ground down there, that's all.
  • Options
    if we ever leave the Valley again I think the men in white coats can come and take me away.
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31392&newstype=n

Dug this out from the Official site.

Talks about a training ground and Community base but the site is 150 acres so who knows...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Isn't Sparrows Lane Green Belt protected, only permitted for sports/recreational use?

Yes it probably is in theory.

However I can remember hearing Prescott on Question time saying that the Green Belt should no longer be sacrosanct if in the public interest (whatever that means).

If the politicians agree with developing something they invariably find a way to do it!

That's the danger - politicians saying it shouldn't be sacrosanct, but it's usually in their own collective vested interest to appease those who may keep them in power.

So this wretched goverment, for example, could sell the family silver in order to keep themselves in power in the short term, but it's the rest of us who have to live with the consequences.

The Green Belt was designated as such 60 years ago to provide a green lung for London, prevent overdevelopment and total urbanisation - and to make the district a better place in which to live or access.

Should we really sacrifice those principles for those with vested interest to make short term political or financial gain?
    And if so, will that make the area a better place in which to live?

In any case, the concept of the Green Belt was to maintain it for future generations.
    We are all the keepers of the Green Belt.

Or there will not be a Green Belt for our children or their children.
  • Options
    Right on, Oggy.
  • Options
    its nice down there (got family who live there and have stables too) but cant see a stadium down there to be honest, nice big academy/training ground one day then yes ala arsenal etc could work one day.Staduim no way unless it was right by the motorway cant see it happing as bad train network and no facilties nearby ie shops pubs etc.
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What's West Malling like?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be able to (almost) walk to games!!!!

I'd mentioned bout this land and why hadn't we sold it since commercially it would be worth a fair amount, even with the credit crunch house's and business's are going up so quickly.......

But been reliably informed that we never owned this land, and it was only ever an option that was mentioned as a new training facitlity, back in the good old days!! - esp since half our squad used to live in Kings Hill at the time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]its nice down there (got family who live there and have stables too) but cant see a stadium down there to be honest, nice big academy/training ground one day then yes ala arsenal etc could work one day.Staduim no way unless it was right by the motorway cant see it happing as bad train network and no facilties nearby ie shops pubs etc.
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What's West Malling like?

Maidstone Uniteds proposed new ground was gonna be couple of miles from this proposed site - shame the FA and local authorities weren't willing to loan the extra money to build it
  • Options
    Moving out that way would be suicidal, anyway - the club might as well move to the Moon as far as I'm concerned.

(cue gags about "better atmosphere")
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Moving out that way would be suicidal, anyway - the club might as well move to the Moon as far as I'm concerned.

(cue gags about "better atmosphere")

It's all about the gravity of the situation.

How's that for starters, Inspector...?

;o)
  • Options
    Well you don't have to be a rocket scientest to see that the idea has some advantages. Eltham could be sold and redeveloped, a state of the art centre built at Kings Hill might come in at cost if the club can get good money for the training ground and we could have a good launch pad for training and developing the squad and youth teams. The only problem would be that shuttling back and forth to the Valley from there would be time consuming.
  • Options
    We can't afford to sack Pardky let alone relocate!
  • Options
    We don't own Kings Hill, though.

We were only offered an option to buy at some point, which the club never took up.
    So the project has been long dead.