Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to have

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
sympathy for Parky ? I don't think he is the right man for the job, never did, but he took over an unbalanced poor squad. He has tried to turn it round with various loan signings but nothing ever seems to go his way. Recent loanees (Murty, Soares, Ward) look like they are playing for him and doing well and Spring is a good signing. But he still can't get a result. The jury is out on Kandol but Burton has proved to be what we all thought he was - useless. Gillespie was a bad signing and he was unlucky with McEvererly. However, he has had a few months but didn't address the CH problem and we have lost the last two by being defensively frail (not Matty H's fault) whereas with another CH the results may have been different. But his hands are tied financially wise so maybe he couldn't address it.

Just feel though that he has tried to turn it round, has brought in some okay players but results havn't come. He's doing his best under difficult circumstances but ultimately isn't up to it. I don't think the fans will ever be able to get behind him, even next season if he is still in charge, and that will hold us back. In the meantime I have respect for what he is trying to do and for the effort he is obviously putting in. You can't knock a man for trying.

Comments

• Options
    I wholly concur
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] You can't knock a man for trying.

Not enough to be a trier I'm afraid. We could all have given it a go and probably gotten the same points return he has to be frank. The board cocked up big time by not sending him donw the road with Pardew and unfortunately it ain't over yet...
  • Options
    Feel sorry for him, he's obviously trying his best. Putting loanees into a winning side to complement it maybe but throwing umpteen of them into a struggling side will never work. Not that he's got much choice, he's inherited a team and club on a downward spiral that would be very difficult for anyone to halt.

Still think the club should have got rid of him when Pardew went and got someone else in though.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I feel sorry for him, don;t think he should have got the job in the first case but he did. For the first time in a long time this month I've started to see committed performances, unfortunately the silly mistakes have also come back in aswell.

I like his signings, I like his comments to press, If he now sticks with the starting 11 from last night for the whole season I still think we're in with a crack (baring holland at CB, need Hudson back in), we just need that consistancy.

but his lack of tactical awareness is glaringly obvious, or is it our lack of a balanced squad/options in our squad.

Need to support him and the team until the board see fit to replace, not much we can do now
  • Options
    Its all down to the players! I think Colin (NW) got it right last week when he said how they can look in the mirror after each game. They are all playing massively under their potentials…..there is only so much you can blame on the man in charge. At the end of the day they are the players with the ball at their feet that is needed to make things happen.

I also think the board are to blame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Feel sorry for him, he's obviously trying his best. Putting loanees into a winning side to complement it maybe but throwing umpteen of them into a struggling side will never work. Not that he's got much choice, he's inherited a team and club on a downward spiral that would be very difficult for anyone to halt.

Still think the club should have got rid of him when Pardew went and got someone else in though.

I posted this on another thread, but maybe more relevant to post it here, so apologies if you've already seen it:

At the AGM recently, didn't Richard Murray or someone say that Parky was brought to Charlton to provide stability once Pardew moved on?
    He had been an applicant for the vacant job to replace Curbs, so must have made a decent impression on the interview panel.

The Board's thinking at the time no doubt, was that they expected Pards as a relatively high-profile manager to be 'poached' at some point (no doubt hoping for compensation themselves) - and therefore wanted a successor with continuity at the club already in place, thus avoiding the Dowie/Reed debacle.

Hence, why Parky said a few weeks ago, that he'd always been 'promised' the manager position once Pardew left.
    So he's evidently going nowhere, regardless.

The best laid plans of mice and men, lol
  • Options
    I agree with much of what you say, Large. It's hard to dislike Parky and perfectly justifiable to feel a bit sorry for him because he did inherit a bloody great mess.

But we can't go on blaming Pardew forever because in ten weeks Parky has pretty much built a new team. There were only two in the starting XI last night (Holland and Baley) who were survivors from Pardew's final starting XI on Nov 22...

But certainly bad luck with injuries and the refusal of the board to give him much money to spend are factors beyond his control.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Feel sorry for him, he's obviously trying his best. Putting loanees into a winning side to complement it maybe but throwing umpteen of them into a struggling side will never work. Not that he's got much choice, he's inherited a team and club on a downward spiral that would be very difficult for anyone to halt.

At the AGM recently, didn't Richard Murray or someone say that Parky was brought to Charlton to provide stability once Pardew moved on?
    He had been an applicant for the vacant job to replace Curbs, so must have made a decent impression on the interview panel.

He may have applied for the job when Curbs went but wasn't interviewed as Colchester Utd refused permission.
  • Options
    Quite right, Large, he wasn't actually interviewed at the time - just on our shortlist.

Cheers.
  • Options
    didnt we have a thread like this about Pards before he went??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We always have at least 100 threads on each single topic.

It's the Charlton Life way, lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We always have at least 100 threads on each single topic.

It's the Charlton Life way, lol

Got to keep the U Boats employed!

Glug, glug
  • Options
    He signed Deon Burton.

Shut the door behind you Parkinson. . . .
  • Options
    I can't believe you've changed your tune Large, whatever next.........wearing a "we love Parky" badge ?

he may have unlucky with injuries, but they are part & parcel of football and when he took over from pardew we still only had 2 cente halves at the club, yet he still brought in Burton (waste of space and not needed) , gillespie ( has left Sheff Utd and now without a club), waghorn ( who ?)and countless right backs when we already had Moo2.

sorry Large.........the guy is worse than Pardew.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    The Board's thinking at the time no doubt, was that they expected Pards as a relatively high-profile manager to be 'poached' at some point (no doubt hoping for compensation themselves) - and therefore wanted a successor with continuity at the club already in place, thus avoiding the Dowie/Reed debacle.

Hence, why Parky said a few weeks ago, that he'd always been 'promised' the manager position once Pardew left.
    So he's evidently going nowhere, regardless.

The best laid plans of mice and men, lol

But Reed was coach under Dowie. All-be-it not Dowies' actual choice of coach, there was continuity of sorts. Though Les had never been a manager, & he didn't get the kind of respect that an experienced, commanding manager might get when taking over part way through a season. Unfortunately, Parkinsons' results have more than echoed that period of CAFC history, though he has been a manager before.

Continuity has failed again for us. The board have staked their wad on a Curbishley style 2nd coming, but it has backfired badly.

The 2nd non-continuity appointment of Pardew, maybe, just maybe, would've bore fruit, had he come in directly after Dowie collected his P45(He was just in his position at West Ham, I know). The initial burst of the team, after he came in was excellent, though I'll always be mightily disappointed that he didn't keep us up when we did get out of the relegation trench for a short while.
    I think his arrogance cost him, & ultimately us in the end. I think he thought he would walk the league after relegation.

I feel an element of sorry for Parkinson, but he was a key part of the rot that Pardew continued after the Dowie/Reed crossover, & he hasn't come close to arresting the slide. I desperately want him to (of course, the players have to play a positive part too), but its very hard to see any change in fortune with him at the helm.

Hudson in the back 4 alongside Ward might help his cause somewhat over the next few games, A slightly more solid defence might just inspire the team to attack that little bit more(there has been some good attacking football in some bits of recent games) & finally kill off a few more teams when we get into a winning position.

I feel a new man has to come in & clear the decks for a new beginning at our club though, as PP doesn't seem to be able to inspire the kind of confidence & motivation for the type of performance thats required for the position we currently find ourselves in. That ain't gonna happen for a long while though, & its a little bit tricky to see where this slide will end. Its with sadness that I say, I don't think it will be at the end of this season either, if PP remains.

Not unfeasable that we could do a 'Swansea', or 'Wolves', & complete the slide to the 4th tier, like they both did through the 80's(though in relatively succesive seasons, not consecutive). I have hope though, & this is a scenario that I don't think we will experience for some time yet.

Sorry folks, just realised I've rambled on like a nutter, could babble on for a long time yet, but I shall cease & desist. ;-)

PS: Come on you Reds!
  • Options
    Sympathy? Not the least as the two areas that needed addressing by Pards were continued to be ignored, until it was all too late, by Parky.

Namely, the need to get a centre half in as soon as it became obvious that Primus and Crainie were going back. And by "get in" I don't mean engage in lengthy discussions with an individual (Wayne Brown) who clearly never had any intention of coming to us.

And the other is to continue with a policy of 4-5-1 with the "1" being Burton, a so called forward who has scored just one goal in open play in his last 31 appearances. Where the hell did he seriously think the goals were going to come from? Now, having started Dickson in the last couple of games, he's waxing lyrically about how well he's trained and what a threat Dickson has become. The bottom line is he's no more a threat now than he was 6 months ago apart from the fact that he's playing now.

To my mind Pards and Parky came hand in hand and the tactics employed have until the last few games have remained much the same. The irony of the Les Reed situation is that he is actually a good coach but he was tarnished with the brush and association with Dowie. Reed's success with Curbs is a testament to his ability and the fact that he and Dowie didn't, allegedly, see eye to eye ultimately lead to both their downfalls. I firmly believe that had Reed not been given the job as Manager but stayed on/returned as assistant to Pardew we might just not be in the position we are now.