Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Myles Weston - free in the summer, bring him back?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Just saw this linked to on the Charlton Newsnow page-

http://www.thisisnottscounty.co.uk/News/Hope-for-weston-to-sign-new-magpies-deal.aspx

If we go down he could be a good player in League One, and they're the sort of signings we're going to have to make. We'd have a good chance considering we'd be one of the favourites to go up and seen as one of the biggest clubs in League One.

For anyone that saw him, what did you think of him while he was here? He's one of those that I think would have definitely been kept on if he was coming through in the last year or two.

Comments

• Options
    Released by a team near the bottom of League Two. I saw him in a TV match once (I think i was looking at Josh Wright who was then at Brentford) and he does look OK, but the fact NC aren't moving heaven and earth to keep him says something.
  • Options
    i saw this and wondered if we might have a look at signing him up. He always seemed a good prospect when he was at the valley and i was a bit surprised we let him go. I guess we thought he didn't fit our aspirations.

there will be a few signings like him coming in this summer though.
  • Options
    It says they have offered him a new contract though?

Probably not good enough for League One anyway but sounds like he's doing well.
  • Options
    Going to Brentford.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Going to Brentford.[/quote]

Where did you hear this?

I've seen him a few times since he left, mainly on the box, and he's always looked good. Works hard, quick, good crosser, if a bit one-footed - but he is a leftie. I don't recall County having a big target man either, which he is made for.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Going to Brentford.[/quote]

would not shock me they seem to be snapping people up all over the place
  • Options
    On SSN saying that he wasnt given a chance at The Valley by Pardew or Les Reed.

He was one of the few youth players I've seen that stood out at Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    Usual story of the time ...... the conundrum of needing to play your strongest team at all costs in the Prem, but not including young and upcoming players because they lack big match experience.

And, of course, they never did get the big match experience, so they never were picked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]On SSN saying that he wasnt given a chance at The Valley by Pardew or Les Reed.

He was one of the few youth players I've seen that stood out at Sparrows Lane.
    He was part of the England youth squads (just as Shelvey and Solly have been, unsurprisingly the current young players that stand out), never saw him but he was seen at the time as a good prospect over many others. Probably should have given him another year.

The current lot are lucky in that they'll actually get a chance, and hopefully play a part in taking us back to the Championship and maybe the Prem one day.
  • Options
    The reality probably is ..... if we had not then been a Prem club but playing in the 2nd or 3rd flight ........ then Myles Weston would undoubtedly have been given a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you look at the amount of transfer fees lost out on all these players that were never given a chance. . . scandalous really
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]If you look at the amount of transfer fees lost out on all these players that were never given a chance. . . scandalous really

But these were inexperienced unestablished youngsters who only accumulated a decent transfer value once they had a couple of solid seasons playing at a much lower level than the Prem, that we were playing in at the time..

Apart from Turner, they had no transfer fee value until they'd gained the experience of those seasons of regular 1st team football.
  • Options
    You loan them out for a season or two and then sell for a couple of hundred thousand (like we did with Walker for example). Surely better than simply releasing them?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]You loan them out for a season or two and then sell for a couple of hundred thousand (like we did with Walker for example). Surely better than simply releasing them?

Though it's only worth keeping them if they might make the first team. Not worth spending wages and coaches time & effort on training them, or if on loan keeping an eye on how they're doing.
  • Options
    scored a couple for brentford at the weekend and has created 2 tonight and has looked useful on the wing tonight
  • Options
    hit and miss, Lloyd Sam in a different kit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]scored a couple for brentford at the weekend and has created 2 tonight and has looked useful on the wing tonight

Means nothing in this pub league ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]scored a couple for brentford at the weekend and has created 2 tonight and has looked useful on the wing tonight

Means nothing in this pub league ;-)

agreed

i never used to watch these shit games ..... but now we're amongst it i find out of loyalty to charlton i watch these shit fixtures ................ i need help