Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Burnley Thoughts

I admit that I don't get to watch Charlton much these days,but I was at Turf Moor.
I was impressed by the way they fought and the team spirit that ran through the team,I wasn't impressed by the footballing skills of most of the players or the inability to string together a few passes and turn defence into attack. Some thoughts on a few of the players:
Elliot: Very impressed by him, but worried by the injury he picked up in the 2nd half.
Murty: Very tenacious player who gave his all even when it was obvious that he must have an injury to his left arm.
Holland: Captain Courageous
Ward: Good defender,very commanding in the air should make a good partnership with Hudson
Sam: Played out of position but the few times the ball came to him he produced some useful attacking options
Dickson: Ran everywhere, a continual nuisance to the Burnley defence and provided a great pass to Bailey for the goal when a lot of strikers would have shot (and missed)
Soares: Looks useful but kept loosing the ball from throw ins
Burton: Played more midfield than attacker.
I don't understand why Dickson was substituted, as he was our main threat and Kandol was no threat at all

When you consider that about half the team haven't played more than a few games together there did seem to be the makings of a group of players who can, through persistence, team work, effort and a little skill still get us out of this mess.

My biggest accolade though is to the Charlton Supporters who made the long trip North on a very inhospitable day to a crap ground - at least I was home by 6.30pm!

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]
    When you consider that about half the team haven't played more than a few games together there did seem to be the makings of a group of players who can, through persistence, team work, effort and a little skill still get us out of this mess.

That's the general impression I've been getting too, although I still very much doubt we'll get out of trouble. It's hard to keep the faith when results have been so bad, but I do feel Parky is trying to do the right things. Sadly the improvements are taking a while to really bed in and injuries/suspensions/cup tied players mean we can't pick our best side 2 weeks running at the mo. What's really screwed us is the almighty great mess Parky 'inherited' and he's been left with too much to do, in too little time, with too few resources.

Ho hum, lets hope he can get things straight by the end of the season so we have a team settled and ready to go for 09/10 season.
  • edited February 2009
    Interesting observations by Lancashire Lad ; not quite sure what role Burton was playing...the combination I'd love to see on Tues night is Dicko and Shelvey, as Uncle keeps telling us they have developed a great understanding in the reserves.

As usual, Exiled comments are pretty spot on, too, IMO. As he says, Parky has been left with ''too much to do, in too little time, with too few resources.'' Whatever the rights and wrongs of his appointment, that would have been true of any manager, although arguably a more motivational character might have scraped a few more points than 6 out of 36.

But when the real and tangible (if limited) improvements since he got the job on a permanent basis have still resulted in three league defeats out of four , it's hard not to conclude that Parky was screwed by ''the almighty great mess'' of his inheritance before he had even started.

It was so bad that sadly, improvement isn't enough. We need transformation, and Parky is not a miracle worker.
  • Have you not gone ski-ing yet, Nigel?

By the time you come back we'll be 23rd in the table, you know ........

;o)
  • Don't go until next Sat, Oggy. So by the time I get back I want nine more points (Bristol City/Cardiff/Plymouth) and expect us to be 22nd

;o)
  • Your wish is my command, Nigel.

Now where's that Genie....?

;o)
  • I genuinely think we can get something from the away game on Tues night. Only Southampton have won fewer home games this season than Bristol City.

So I've got us down for at least a point...
  • we are defo doomed now to be honest but it would have been nice to see us get a win after taking all that time to go up there .

won't be sad to see the back of the meat pies at turd moor as they were awful

just another ground to notch off for me really
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]

That's the general impression I've been getting too, although I still very much doubt we'll get out of trouble. It's hard to keep the faith when results have been so bad, but I do feel Parky is trying to do the right things. Sadly the improvements are taking a while to really bed in and injuries/suspensions/cup tied players mean we can't pick our best side 2 weeks running at the mo. What's really screwed us is the almighty great mess Parky 'inherited' and he's been left with too much to do, in too little time, with too few resources.

Ho hum, lets hope he can get things straight by the end of the season so we have a team settled and ready to go for 09/10 season.

Thanks for the report LL and wise words Exiled.

Not given up yet but it's not looking great is it (understatement of the season I know).

Glad to hear Dickson did well. Saw the set up for the goal on TV and he did well.
  • if that is a true reflection on the game and i dont doubt that at all then i take heart that we were and kept in a position to get something from any game

i understand that we are all pissed off no one more or less than anyone else but FFS i just wish and hope tht we stop being so blinkered every time we lose blind moaning is just as infuriating as blind optimisum
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]if that is a true reflection on the game and i dont doubt that at all then i take heart that we were and kept in a position to get something from any game

i understand that we are all pissed off no one more or less than anyone else but FFS i just wish and hope tht we stop being so blinkered every time we lose blind moaning is just as infuriating as blind optimisum

Quite right NLA, win doesn't always equals good performance and visa versa. I didn't think we were that great on Tuesday for example, we were better against QPR, Forest and Derby for example (imo) but we beat Palace but not the others.
  • Sponsored links:

• thats were i am with it all exiled i aint happy about him being in charge or the fact that we are so leaky but i just think there has to be a time when we dont get so fooled by the run we are on and accept that if we compete if we try then at least give them that much
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]thats were i am with it all exiled i aint happy about him being in charge or the fact that we are so leaky but i just think there has to be a time when we dont get so fooled by the run we are on and accept that if we compete if we try then at least give them that much

Yep, agreed NLA. Even if the results don't go for us - if the team has put in a good shift, then you have to recognise that and give credit where it's due.
  • A man who hasn't seen us play in a while thought Dickson was our biggest threat and we shouldn't have taken him off.

Yet our manager (and the one before him) didn't even think he was worth a start until fan pressure forced them to pick him!

The mind boggles
  • Been more than a day since the final whistle.......

Agree with Lancashire Lads comments - he did the job for me in describing the game.

I had to take a small detour to Preston to drop a few Charlton fans off but I still got back to leafy South Manchester at 6.30 too lol!

All I can say is that because we tried that much harder than in recent games, yesterdays result and the matter which we surrendered a 1-0 lead is a real bitter pill to swallow. For long periods the team, despite the intense pressure, shown confidence I havent seen for a long long time. Burnley had 3 great chances in the first half and Elliott coped with each of them superbly.

Yeah when the 4th offical put up "6 minutes" added time, us 300 or so travelling support shook our heads in disbelief but that is not an excuse at all.

As soon as Dicko was taken off we were bereft of ideas and towards the end everytime the ball came in the box it was buttock clenching time.

Can't fault the effort this time.

Enjoy the Bristol game whoever is going
  • I gotta salute Stu from HU 16 who missed the train and therefore missed the game.

You were in the better place despite it being Hull.