Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Toddy

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
This could be nonsense BUT

allegedly Toddy is on a low basic but if he plays then his wages increase substantially to make him one of our higher paid players.

It is this factor rather than his fitness which explains his absence of late I have been told.

Comments

• Options
    Hope not as im sure he wouldl have netted more goals than our current strikeforce, which could have lead to more wins and a better league position
  • Options
    wouldn't surprise me but he's not good enough anyway
  • Options
    Before that challenge last season he looked good, since his comeback he has looked too slow in my opinion and has seemed to lack the strength needed at this level. Games may improve this but can we afford to carry him until then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]This could be nonsense BUT

allegedly Toddy is on a low basic but if he plays then his wages increase substantially to make him one of our higher paid players.

It is this factor rather than his fitness which explains his absence of late I have been told.

Shame Andy Gray is not on the same deal Len!!
  • Options
    Dickson evidently is
  • Options
    Toddy's always been slow. Wonderful player though he is without a pressing solid midfield behind him, and a pacey strong partner his play is worthless. What good is it dropping into the hole if there is no pacey/intelligent counter-attacker in the team?

Scored 25 odd league goals in one of the most determined nousey midfields ever seen in the champ... Sherwood, Stone, Merson and I think Quashie. With that midfield it wasn't such a big deal about blanket support and he had jailbird Pericard next to him.

Hate to say it, as I was glad Marcus Bent left, but Bent and Toddy were the best partnership even if our midfield weren't up to carrying a free-transfer waif. Would have loved to see him work as his economy on the ball and vision is a thing of beauty, unfortunately like most of our team the spark is needed from elsewhere to make the space.
  • Options
    Pretty sure when he renewed his contract it was more pay as you play deal than before, so I wouldn't be surprised that we aren't playing him due to money issues.

That said he isn't mobile/fit enough to do 90 minutes, would be useful as a 30/20 minute sub imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]That said he isn't mobile/fit enough to do 90 minutes, would be useful as a 30/20 minute sub imo.

I agree. No mention of him at all as an option up front on the OS though. Wouldn't be surprised if we never see him play for us again.
  • Options
    makes sense. He has played the full match in the last couple of reserve games.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Parkinson has said Todorov hasn't done enough, probably doesn't think he works hard enough. He can barely manage half a game as it is.
    Parkinson now wants to see a similar reaction from out-of-favour forward Svetoslav Todorov, who hasn't featured for the first team since a late substitute appearance in Charlton's 1-0 defeat at Norwich City on December 20th.

"Toddy just hasn't done enough. We know he can finish but he needs to do more in his all-round game," stated Parkinson.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=33687
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parky is telling it as we all see it

Was good but sadly now past it
  • Options
    But according to Pardew was our best footballer!

You can only be our best footballer if you are fit enough to play football!
  • Options
    Todorov is a quality footballer but as I said when we signed him, he is very immobile and without some pace next to him that gets very much shown up. He has questionable workrate but for what he brings I suppose I can forgive that. Thing is, without service there is little forwards can do in the way of taking chances.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Todorov is a quality footballer but as I said when we signed him, he is very immobile and without some pace next to him that gets very much shown up. He has questionable workrate but for what he brings I suppose I can forgive that. Thing is, without service there is little forwards can do in the way of taking chances.

He did play well though in that Burnley game this season when he came on as a half time sub, led the line well and scored a good firm header from a Pacey-Basey freekick. Mind you, he did have Lightening Luke tearing up defences beside him.

Jeez, I still have nightmares re-running the old mind video of Varney's open goal miss in the last minute.
  • Options
    If he can't get on pitch with our lack of striking power then there's obviously some wrong that's more than just his fitness/fleetness of foot. My guess is he knows his contract isn't going to extended - and he knows that he hasn't done enough to warrant a new contract so he's out to collect a wage and pick up a few splinters sitting on the bench until July.
  • Options
    And as Parky has said, he's 'not done enough' to warrant being picked.

That doesn't sound like a player struggling to overcome serious injury.
    But it does sound like someone who can't be arsed.

So agreed, BFR.
  • Options
    The point made by BFR seems despressingly likely. What a mess we have been left in and I have to point the finger at Pardew primarily.

He got rid of Iwelumo, he backed Varney who couldn't score, he kept on Tody who can't be arsed, he wasted the Reid money on the journeyman of all journeymen Gray, he saddled us with McLeod, he farmed out Fleetwood and wouldn't play Dickson.

Parkys record isn't much better but at least Burton puts some effort in.
  • Options
    Pardew's decision to give Toddy a new contract yet release Iwelumo and buy Fleetwood for 200K was a massive error.

We lost a reliable albeit limited centre-forward who would get at least 10 goals per season and kept a cripple who can't play more than 30 mins and an untried rookie.

Nice one Al.
  • Options
    Never understood signing Fleetwood, we wasted enough money last season before on players that didn't play. Doubt he'll ever be anything more than a League One striker.

A Brighton fan showed me a quote from a Brighton forum, one of their fans said he wasn't even League One standard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Never understood signing Fleetwood, we wasted enough money last season before on players that didn't play. Doubt he'll ever be anything more than a League One striker.

A Brighton fan showed me a quote from a Brighton forum, one of their fans said he wasn't even League One standard.

I wouldn't take a random quote from a fans forum as the definitive assessment of a player's ability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Pardew's decision to give Toddy a new contract yet release Iwelumo and buy Fleetwood for 200K was a massive error.

We lost a reliable albeit limited centre-forward who would get at least 10 goals per season and kept a cripple who can't play more than 30 mins and an untried rookie.

Nice one Al.

Fleetwood was half that, at least.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All this "Toddy just hasn't done enough. We know he can finish but he needs to do more in his all-round game," b*llocks seems more Parky spin. More than a year since his injury, he's got 42 international caps FFS, playing for a decent country in the rankings. What evidence is there that he's sitting back counting his cash? To imagine that he offers less than Burton or Gray beggars belief. With Gray out for the season we also need to recall McLeod - two out of Dicko/McLeod/Toddy with one coming off the bench suddenly fills me with a bit more confidence if the persistence with Burton can be resisted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]All this "Toddy just hasn't done enough. We know he can finish but he needs to do more in his all-round game," b*llocks seems more Parky spin.

I'm sure it's to do with his lack of closing down (which he's not fit enough to do anyway) and probably not working hard enough for Parkinson in training.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Fleetwood was half that, at least.

He's Forest Green's record sale, so probably around £125k.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Pardew's decision to give Toddy a new contract yet release Iwelumo and buy Fleetwood for 200K was a massive error.

Nice one Al.

Fleetwood was half that, at least.

It was reported as 200K at the time but the clubs apparently reached a private settlement on the fee.

My point is that Toddy's wages + Fleetwood's fee and wages would not be far off what we would have needed to keep big Chris.
  • Options
    At the time, Pards said he sold Big Chris - because whenever he played him, the team reverted to hoof ball.

As we ourselves constantly moaned about all last season. Remember ....?

;o)

PS: Iwelumo was Parky's signing for Colchester.
    No doubt it was Parky's influence that brought Big Chris here in the first place.
  • Options
    With Gray out for the season we also need to recall McLeod

Unfortunately there is no recall clause in McLeod's loan terms with Millwall.
  • Options
    The money we paid to FGR for Fleetwood was a "development", he was out of contract at the end of last season. I doubt we paid £200k, or even £125K, he'd only been at FGR for a season so they could hardly claim to have spent that much on developing him and that would be taken into consideration in the negotiations.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The money we paid to FGR for Fleetwood was a "development", he was out of contract at the end of last season. I doubt we paid £200k, or even £125K, he'd only been at FGR for a season so they could hardly claim to have spent that much on developing him and that would be taken into consideration in the negotiations.

Apparently it is around £125k, he is officially their record sale.