Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goalkeeper...

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
If Weaver is fit (or soon to be), who is now the fan's choice for a consistent run in the team until the end of the season?

Comments

• Options
    Randy.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Said a few weeks ago that we need to bring a keeper in if we can - neither Elliot or Randolph fill me with much confidence. Defensively we are all at sea and I think an experienced man would help with the organisational side of things. I think Lee Camp was available from QPR, don't know if he still is.

I don't think Elliot or Randolph have done much wrong but in our current situation experience counts for alot, especially in goal. It sounds like Elliot has strayed off his line today and as a result gets beaten by a "fluke". The positional side of things is so important and the old heads are far better at that side of it.

If Weaver isn't going, which I suspect he won't be then I'd put him back in. The few games out of the side will hopefully have focused his mind.
  • Options
    Good post Clem. Totally agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I noticed Neal Sullivan in goal for Doncaster today - he had a mighty fine game, I also wonder about playing kids in goal with such a fragile defence in front of them.............
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No man on the post AGAIN for the 2nd i guess ?

Wheres Weaver !!!

Yet another loss for Parkinson the results are really going our way arnt they Chappell ?
  • Options
    Weaver is injured.
  • Options
    Said a few weeks ago that we need to bring a keeper in if we can - neither Elliot or Randolph fill me with much confidence. Defensively we are all at sea and I think an experienced man would help with the organisational side of things. I think Lee Camp was available from QPR, don't know if he still is.

Maybe, and I can see where you are coming from, but I doubt that we don't have the money to bring in a fourth keeper.
  • Options
    Elliott is my first choice (being that he is also a supporter conceding hurts him just as much!) with a fair rotation with Randolph as he is as good as but better with screamers.
  • Options
    id have deano back anyday
  • Options
    Gandulf for me. As good as Elliott as a shot stopper better at defending crosses.

Let Weaver go. Not much better than the lads and considerably more expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Said a few weeks ago that we need to bring a keeper in if we can - neither Elliot or Randolph fill me with much confidence. Defensively we are all at sea and I think an experienced man would help with the organisational side of things. I think Lee Camp was available from QPR, don't know if he still is.

I don't think Elliot or Randolph have done much wrong but in our current situation experience counts for alot, especially in goal. It sounds like Elliot has strayed off his line today and as a result gets beaten by a "fluke". The positional side of things is so important and the old heads are far better at that side of it.

If Weaver isn't going, which I suspect he won't be then I'd put him back in. The few games out of the side will hopefully have focused his mind.

Elliot is not the first keeper to have a cross go over him into the net, cue Seaman of England v both Brazil and Australia
  • Options
    Still want to see the second again, cause it looked like Elliott missed it completely
  • Options
    Weaver has flapped at crosses and let them in....anyone remember that howler at Blackpool?

Ive not seen that much of Randolph to be fair or indeed Elliott, but maybe Weaver will come back with a bit more confidence after his lay off.
  • Options
    I thought Elliot had the kind of game yesterday that would have seen Weaver ripped to shreds on here.
  • Options
    Have only seen the hi-lights. Having seen the first goal, I have to say it is a great piece of opportunism from Webber. I think he meant. Elliot was in a poor position but it was very well executed by Webber.

The 2nd goal looks a poor one as well. He seemed to go down in installments and then ball appears to go right through him.

Agree that had Weaver conceded those two he would have been slaughtered.
  • Options
    Ship Weaver out and give one of the kids a run. Waever is massively overrated imo and he'll definitely be gone next season. Lets see if we can't bring one of the kids on a bit ready for a full season as first choice. If I had to choose I'd say Randolph looks the better prospect but there's not a great deal in it.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Need another goalkeeper for next season someone like in the Sullivan or Deano mode. Elliott and Randolph doesnt install confidence at all. We have to get the team sorted for next season its going to be a massive season in div 1 :-(

Best players should always play so when Weaver is back from his 'injury' he should play because he is better than the other two options.
  • Options
    My first choice would still be Weaver.

Although having seen them all I don't think theres much difference between the lot of them.

Still unsure of his injury, bruising to the bone is taking a long time to recover from. Guess we'll see in a weeks time if he's still here or not.
  • Options
    if weaver plays a game for charlton again i will chuck my seat at parkinsons head..hes shiite
  • Options
    Buy Paddy Kenny from Sheff UTD- experienced championship player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think if we do go for another keeper, then it needs to be one who is prepared to play in league one next season. Not a lot of point paying for a keeper plus paying his wages and signing on fee as well, just to off-load him on the cheap in the summer. Sullivan was willing to play in league one for Doncaster, and at this stage of his career Kiely may also be happy to drop down - doubt Paddy Kenny would though.

If we're gonna stick with the youngsters in goal, they'll need a better organised defence playing in front of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Waever is massively overrated imo and he'll definitely be gone next season.
    Never thought weaver was that good playing for us. I'd start Rudolph. Can't beleive Elliot tried to blame him pissing up on that backpass from Bailey on him. Lucky for Elliot they didn't score.

Again why no one on the post for the freekick, I just don't get it.
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Still want to see the second again, cause it looked like Elliott missed it completely
    you can watch highlights on the itv website
  • Options
    Tbh, we could take DNA from Yashin, Schmeicel, Cech and Buffon and use it to genetically engineer the greatest goalie of all time and we'd still ship goals left right and centre because the poor sod would still have in front of him a team of toothless strikers and midfielders giving the ball straight back to the opposition and brainless defenders who keep switching off and allowing teams free shots on goal left, right and centre.
  • Options
    We can't score goals, are woefully short of defenders - and those we have got are playing like schoolboys - and yet people want us to sign a goalkeeper.

I seriously wonder what some people are on.
  • Options
    I'm in the Elliot camp, although this is based on him seeming like the most likable out of them.

I think all our keepers are of similar ability and wouldn't be devastated if Weaver went leaving the other two.
  • Options
    I think Weaver is out if we can shift him which leaves Elliott and Randolph.

I'm inclined towards Elliott on what I've seen of both of them which admittedly in Gandalf's case is only 2 or 3 games.
  • Options
    i think we'll have more chance of staying up (1% at the moment imo) if we have weaver back fully fit... these other two youngsters aren't up to it yet and if they ever are i'll be surprised
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think we'll have more chance of staying up (1% at the moment imo) if we have weaver back fully fit... these other two youngsters aren't up to it yet and if they ever are i'll be surprised[/quote]

I agree!
  • Options
    I know the stats can lie but this is how they stack up so far this season.

Number of games 2008/2009
    22 - Weaver
    08 - Elliot
    02 - Randolph (CAFC)
    16 - Randolph all

Clean sheets
    2 = 09% Weaver
    0 = 00% Elliot
    1 = 50% Randolph (CAFC)
    5 = 31% Randolph all

Average saves per game
    5.1 Weaver