Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Unofficial Charlton Life Trip to Wipers and Passendale

Off to meet up with some other Lifers for a weekend of Belgium beer, Belgium food and Belgium mud as we visit Ypres, Tyne Cot and some other WWI sites.

Here's to three points on Saturday but whatever the result remember regardless of what Shankley may have said it isn't a matter of life and death

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori.

Comments

• Options
    Enjoy, me & Goonherhater keep threatening to do this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Enjoy, me & Goonherhater keep threatening to do this.

I'd invite you along but me and GH might start re-enacting the Battle of the Somme ; - 0

Sure Imissthepeanutman can give you loads of addresses of B + Bs and sites to see etc as he's been over dozens of times.
  • Options
    LOL....your both very different people, but also very similar, if you get my meaning.

Cheers, will give him a shout if we finally get our arses in gear (as well as the book GH ah?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]LOL....your both very different people, but also very similar, if you get my meaning.

Cheers, will give him a shout if we finally get our arses in gear (as well as the book GH ah?)

I know exactly what you mean ; - )
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well worth doing, enjoy Henry.

I have to say the Abbey Beers are second to none and may I suggest a nice glass of 'St. Feuillen', preferably the dark one, but up to your own individual taste. They also do a fantastic Christmas beer and Scotch Ale, (Mac BEN, I kid you not), but be prepared to be carried home if you over indulge in these as they range from 7% up to 12%.

Strangely not always available at the regular watering holes, but worth searching out. As is a 'Rochefort' which they do from 6% up to 12%.

Damn I wish I was going!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    My grandfather was killed just outside Ypres in 1916. No one from my family ever went to his grave. They had no money or ability to do so, and the government of the day could obviously not pay to send members of all bereaved families, as there were, tragically, so many.
    About five years ago my wife and I researched my grandfathers story, using the 'war graves commission' website.
    We located his grave and travelled to Belgium. It was an emotional, yet uplifting experience.
    Unlike so many of our so called 'allies' the Belgians have not forgotten the sacrifice made by the British and Commonwealth soldiers. They, to this day, show respect and mantain all war graves to a wonderful standard.
    Everyone should do this trip at least once in their lifetime. There is no better illustration of the human cost of war.
  • Options
    Really 'must' do this someday.
  • Options
    Have a good trip Henners, like many I want to do this myself some day
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Agincourt and Battle Hill, Hastings in October lay flowers on the place where the English died with their KIng.

Ypres one day to se the place where my Grand Dads brother died and where he was injured.

DA9 our project is moving. The only thing i can see that i have in common with Henry is that i have a lot to say !
  • Options
    Well worth the trip guys....Ive been going since the early 90's. If you need any advice on whats worth a look, let me know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry,
    Going to Normandy for the 65 years anniversary of D-day in June, really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Yes, really must visit sometime:on the list of things to do. I'm sure that as well as being seriously moved I would also be angry that so many died fighting in a war that could so easily been avoided.
  • Options
    I've done Normandy and some of the Battlefields in Norway but have never got around to WW1 sites. I should do as my Great Grandfather died on the first day of the first battle of the Somme in 1916. Have a great time Henry, I hope to actually meet you face to face at the Shirt Sponsors dinner at the end of the season!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]My grandfather was killed just outside Ypres in 1916. No one from my family ever went to his grave. They had no money or ability to do so, and the government of the day could obviously not pay to send members of all bereaved families, as there were, tragically, so many.
    About five years ago my wife and I researched my grandfathers story, using the 'war graves commission' website.
    We located his grave and travelled to Belgium. It was an emotional, yet uplifting experience.
    Unlike so many of our so called 'allies' the Belgians have not forgotten the sacrifice made by the British and Commonwealth soldiers. They, to this day, show respect and mantain all war graves to a wonderful standard.
    Everyone should do this trip at least once in their lifetime. There is no better illustration of the human cost of war.

Agreed.

A Great Uncle of mine died at Ypres on 15 November 1914.
  • Options
    On my list of must do's too. Enjoy Henry.
  • Options
    A really good trip despite getting caught in a hail storm in Plugstreet Wood.

Visited quite a few sites including the Menin Gate at sunset for the playing of the last post, the scene of the Xmas 1914 truce and various War Graves (Belguim and German as well as British) and sites such as the peace pool created from one of the huge mines detonated by the British and Talbot House.

There maybe some photos if one of the other Lifers can get round to uploading them.
  • Options
    Sobering stuff.

- Absolutely no pun intended. Been to Normandy graves and the impact was devastating - it is nothing short of heartbreaking. If more people went then they might understand that liberty is not free and that many have died so that we can enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]A Great Uncle of mine died at Ypres on 15 November 1914.

Wish we'd know Len, we would have looked out for his grave. Must have been regular army, one of the "old contemptibles" so called after the Kaiser called the British Expeditionary Force a "contemptible little army"

Have you been to see his grave or name? If not you can find the location on the CWGC website buy putting his name in.

Over 800 Hayes on the Western Front although none are related to me as far as I know.
  • Options
    My granddad was wounded at Passchendaele.

It's a trip I've always wanted to do. I've seen some of the Normandy sites which were pretty sobering and interesting at the same time.
  • Options
    It's such a short trip with the Chunnel.

Only about 1 hour or 1 hour 30 mins to Ypres/Iper/Wipers so can be done in a day.

CL life coach trip next time we play in Europe anyone? Pre-season friendly v Club Bruge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clive Harris of Battlefield Honours (http://www.battle-honours.co.uk) is/was a North Stand Season Ticket Holder, I'm planning on going on the Arras tour this May
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's such a short trip with the Chunnel.

Only about 1 hour or 1 hour 30 mins to Ypres/Iper/Wipers so can be done in a day.

CL life coach trip next time we play in Europe anyone? Pre-season friendly v Club Bruge

Not if you live in Norwich though!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's such a short trip with the Chunnel.

Not if you live in Norwich though!!

Ferry to Hook of Holland then from Harwich ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ferry to Hook of Holland then from Harwich ; - )

Not with my lack of sea legs..:o)
  • Options
    Great weekend. Some old sites sen again and some new one's visited. Particularly pleased to go to the scene of the christmas 1914 truce and see the Khaki Chums Cross and football there. Peanutman got a photo of the cross with a Charlton hat on - so hopefully that will get stuck up here. Mind you we're still waiting for the photo of Fred Chicks grave from the Luddite.

I was particularly impressed with Mr Irving's wondeful corkscrew and precise method of opening a bottle of wine with one swift movement of his wrist.
  • Options
    well we have always said he is W**ker ;-)
  • Options
    Xmas Truce 1914 Site
  • Options
    Our New Centre Back Pairing (1914)
  • Options
    Addickted advertising 1914 Laptop Bag as designed by Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment
  • Options
    Legal Advice required (not a cardigan in sight) nb Ploegsteert Memorial in background