Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Mcgoohan RIP

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
The Prisoner.....great show

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Was going to comment on this last night when I first heard. Not only was the Prisoner one of my favourite shows, we later found out from my Granny that Patrick Mcgoohan was a distant cousin of ours. (Twice removed and all that malarky!!)

Don't know if there is an truth in it of course, but Mcgoohan is a gaelic derivitive of our surname so it might be.

RIP No. 6
  • Options
    Dangerman as well wasn't he?

RIP
  • Options
    Have been to the place where they filmed it in wales, really weird but deffo one of those place to see before you die..

w_nw_gallery_05.jpg
  • Options
    See Ricardo Montelban (Khaaaaannnnnn!) passed away too, aged 88.
  • Options
    Other than The Prisoner & Dangerman, remember him well in the old British classic 'Hell Drivers' with a very young Sean Connery. RIP,PM.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Have been to the place where they filmed it in wales, really weird but deffo one of those place to see before you die..

w_nw_gallery_05.jpg

PORTMEIRION.
  • Options
    He played the warden in Escape from Alcatraz with Clint Eastwood, great performance.

I didn't get the Prisoner.
  • Options
    "i am not a number iam a free man" im sure that came from the Prisoner ,which is a shame as it surely should have been said by some great historical figure shouldnt it ?

number 6
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Have been to the place where they filmed it in wales, really weird but deffo one of those place to see before you die..

w_nw_gallery_05.jpg

I disagree. I thought it was overpriced and boring, aimed only at hardcore Prisoner fans. Majority of buildings closed off so you can't go inside and rented out as hotel rooms instead. Plus not enough information about the history of the place and the man that created it.
  • Options
    Sorry Wilma, when i went there i knew nothing about the prisoner, just like quirky and odd things was a good few years ago when we were there, think we were heading to the ferry to go to eire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Sorry Wilma, when i went there i knew nothing about the prisoner, just like quirky and odd things was a good few years ago when we were there, think we were heading to the ferry to go to eire.

No need to apologise, everyone entitled to an opinion!! I only went because my Mum wanted to go, as she was a Prisoner fan. I too like quirky/odd stuff and love old buildings so thought I would enjoy it, but as said, not enough there about the strange man that decided to create it, and too many buildings not accessible. One look at their official website says it all as it's all about how much to stay there/have a wedding there etc.

The creator: http://architecture.about.com/od/greatarchitects/p/clough.htm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Other than The Prisoner & Dangerman, remember him well in the old British classic 'Hell Drivers' with a very young Sean Connery. RIP,PM.

Hell Drivers is one of my favourite films, also started a very very young David McCallum, as well as Wiliam Hartnell (the first Doctor Who)
  • Options
    He was the murderer about 5 times in Columbo as well.

RIP John Drake, aka The Prisoner (?) I suppose now we'll never know.
  • Options
    you should check this out Wilma:

TATE
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I went to Portmeirion a few years ago as the Prisoner fascinated me. It could do with a little TLC, in my opinion, but the bloke who built it - Clough Williams-Ellis - was clearly barking mad.

Mind you, from recollection it was very wet when we were there, but then in my experience it always is in Wales.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Don't know if there is an truth in it of course, but Mcgoohan is a gaelic derivitive of our surname so it might be.

RIP No. 6

id be interested to know how smith is the gaelic of mcgoohan? :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Don't know if there is an truth in it of course, but Mcgoohan is a gaelic derivitive of our surname so it might be.

RIP No. 6

id be interested to know how smith is the gaelic of mcgoohan? :-)

To quote what I was always told.

The Irish sects in places such as Cavan and Armagh, of 'Mac an Ghabhann', (which translated from gaelic apparently means 'Son of the Smith'), and the derivitives such as 'McGoohan', 'McGowan' and 'O'Gabhann' , adopted the name of the English/Scottish settlers, 'Smith', to ensure they could get work with the landowners. This also affected other such Irish names and over time the Anglocised versions have stuck.

That may not be 100% accurate but the truth is probably in there somewhere 'B'.

Happy belated 40th by the way.
  • Options
    Scene from a changing changing room....

Hudson.... Where Am I?

Parky.... In The Village

Hudson....Who am I?

Parky... You are Number Six

Hudson....Who are you?

Parky... Number 2

Hudson... Who is Number 1?

Parky... Weaver but not for long, Pardew thought he was number 1 but it is I, number number2 who holds the power