Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray to Stoke on loan?

edited January 2009 in Rumours
Stoke line up surprise bid for Charlton's Andy Gray as Sheffield United fail to lure Reading's Lita as replacement for Beattie

Stoke have made a surprise loan bid for Charlton striker Andy Gray, who would prefer a permanent move while his boss Phil Parkinson would listen to offers for midfielder Darren Ambrose.

Here

That's all it says. They've just signed Beattie though, do they need him?

Not surprised he's linked with a move, will be on a decent wage.

Would you get rid of him? We need a new striker and although Gray hasn't played too well he's our top scorer, one of our better strikers (I know that's not saying much).

Can't get rid of Ambrose until we sign a winger or two. Probably why Parkinson gave Wagstaff a chance tonight, see if he can step up to first team level.

Comments

• Options
    That's got to be rubbish. They've just signed the best CCC striker in Beattie so why would they want Gray when they already have Fuller, Kitson and Sidibe as well.

Gray would not even suit their style, he is a "to feet" player and Stoke prefer aerial merchants.
  • Options
    god please be true
  • Options
    Saturday could be interesting if true, no Gray or Burton (hang on we could do a loan one get one free and get rid of Deon at the same time!)
  • Options
    strange the way it flicks from gray to ambrose. I think we need to hang on to Dazza he has some experience and can finish chances.
  • Options
    Please be true. Missus & her old man her Stokies, i can finally show them what we've had to put up with.

Get Gray off the books.
  • Options
    i have nothing but admiration for the chap,considering his problems.He IMHO does not shirk responsibilty and if the move helps him out personally good on him.It may well have some legs in it,notice he hasn't been cup tied this month.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i have nothing but admiration for the chap,considering his problems.He IMHO does not shirk responsibilty and if the move helps him out personally good on him.It may well have some legs in it,notice he hasn't been cup tied this month.

All true but he's not lived up to his billing. TBF to Pardew he bought the top scorer in the division so shouldn't have been such a risk but considering the fee, the likely wages and that he came into replace Andy Reid it hasn't worked.

May leave us short (in both senses) up front but a good move if it comes off. If there is some cash free to get a replacement in.
  • Options
    total madness to get rid of gray.

All this nonsense he doesn't jump tosh.

He hasn't lived up to hos billing as Henners said but he's come to us at a time when we have not been playing well and not creating much.
  • Options
    same as big chris give him a decent winger and he will score u goals.Pardew should have known he needed decent delivery from the flanks to score.IMHO he is our best forward at the club,not that it is too hard.
  • Options
    If we can recoup some of the millions we spent on him it would be a great deal. He's obviously never going to do it for us here. There were questions whether we were using him in the most effective way but he has had enough time and roles to show us what he can do and has largely failed to impress. Bar the goal against Derby I can't remember a single moment of quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    birmingham away very good finish
  • Options
    'that he came into replace Andy Reid it hasn't work.'

no offence henry but to replace our only creative midfielder with a striker seems an odd decision if it was pardews or murrays decision.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'that he came into replace Andy Reid it hasn't work.'

no offence henry but to replace our only creative midfielder with a striker seems an odd decision if it was pardews or murrays decision.

Yes, it was an odd decision by the person who selects the players ie the Manager.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more with steve, get a decent winger who can cross the ball and you will see how good gray is. Regularly scored goal at this level.

They could always loan us kitson in return
  • Options
    Kitson for Gray would be a very good swop in my opinion - I'd bite their hands off for that!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Kitson for Gray would be a very good swop in my opinion - I'd bite their hands off for that!

We're getting rid of Gray to save money, not to double the wages !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'that he came into replace Andy Reid it hasn't work.'

Yes, it was an odd decision by the person who selects the players ie the Manager.

He came to replace Todorov didn't he?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Kitson for Gray would be a very good swop in my opinion - I'd bite their hands off for that!

You'd bite their hands off for a player with no confidence who hasn't scored all season? Just what we need!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]same as big chris give him a decent winger and he will score u goals.Pardew should have known he needed decent delivery from the flanks to score.IMHO he is our best forward at the club,not that it is too hard.

Exactly. Hope he doesn't go best striker we have at the club.

He won't play at Stoke though, although a swap for Kitson would be decent.
  • Options
    The funny thing about Kitson (and I stand corrected if I'm wrong) but, I'm pretty sure that one he came off after being substituted on Saturday, the fans were singing his name as if he was a super hero. Can't see us doing that about our non scoring centre forward, Deon and the Belmonts, can you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Gray goes we have to get a replacement, no doubt about that, he is our one remaining quality front-man and has been badly served by the so-called creative players. He thrives on quality delivery into the box and we have simply not given it to him.

He is good in the air from crosses but nobody can do much with the crap we have pumped towards him 7 feet off the ground with the centre half up his arse - not even Torres would score goals from that kind of service.

I would have like to have seen him given a run alongside McLeod with Gray playing deeper and McLeod on the last man, would have been worth a try at least.
  • Options
    Gray is the best striker we have, I don't think you can blame him for playing in front of a mediocre team. If Parky can make us solid at the back and Jonjo, Ambrose and/or ZZ (if any of them stay!) can create chances from midfield then I think Gray is the one we want those chance to fall to.
  • Options
    I think Gray is more like a gary lineker poacher striker not a hold up man. Needs to have the ball given to him in the box.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If Gray goes we have to get a replacement, no doubt about that, he is our one remaining quality front-man and has been badly served by the so-called creative players. He thrives on quality delivery into the box and we have simply not given it to him.

He is good in the air from crosses but nobody can do much with the crap we have pumped towards him 7 feet off the ground with the centre half up his arse - not even Torres would score goals from that kind of service.

I would have like to have seen him given a run alongside McLeod with Gray playing deeper and McLeod on the last man, would have been worth a try at least.

Along with NLA's assessment, this is how I see Gray.

Putting his personal stuff and all the anxiety this has no doubt caused him and the disruption to his training & fitness,
    on the park players just have to play to his strengths.

His game is not running the channels like Varney or McLeod, it's in the box. He is a finisher.
    Give him the ball in front of goal, and he'll invariably at least get the ball on target.

His other quality is to hold the ball up, a decent touch and distribution, laced with football intelligence.

As Ormy says, that doesn't mean lumping the ball vaguely in his direction 7 foot up in the air and expecting him to consistantly beat 2 challenging centrehalves in the air - or oustripping defenders for pace.

What it does mean, is to get the goals from him, we just need to provide the type of service he thrives on.
    He'll then score goals.

He's done it, and done it consistantly, for every other club he's played for in the last 5 or 6 years.
    So the problem is mostly with Charlton.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'that he came into replace Andy Reid it hasn't work.'

no offence henry but to replace our only creative midfielder with a striker seems an odd decision if it was pardews or murrays decision.[/quote]

Yes, it was an odd decision by the person who selects the players ie the Manager.[/quote]

Cook was billed as a replacement for Reid, as i recall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Cook was billed as a replacement for Reid, as i recall.

And Gray was said to be the replacement for the more or less terminally injured Todorov.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

the more or less terminally injured Todorov.

Who dear old AP then gave another year's contract to...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

the more or less terminally injured Todorov.

Who dear old AP then gave another year's contract to...

That's a tad harsh. At the time, there was no reason to suspect that he would not recover well from the op. Others have done it successfully, but it's much easier to make medical judgements with benefit of hindsight.
  • Options
    i think like Varney it will be in Eddies nephew to cut his cloth closer to home.

It will release a few shillings for some other player to come in, in that position who without being over critical will do more than what i have seen Gray do potentially
  • Options
    as bad as he has been i just think getting rid of him is another nail in our championship coffin...
    he is the best of a bad bunch as far as our strikers are concerned
    it's just so depressing how we have gone from the curbs glory years(maybe not as exciting as some wanted) to a tinpot outfit so quickly ;-(