Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Industrial action

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Having some grief with our firms pay deal which,although not too bad, includes some new terms and conditions that could lead to us being in a worse off position in the future.Won't go into the ins and outs but could be walking out in a week or two.Anyone else going through this?

Not sure how going out on strike in the current climate will be percieved by others on the outside.

Comments

• Options
    in some ways you should be grateful you are gettinga pay rise BUT If they are taking the piss then yeah you have to make your point - not sure I agree with striking
  • Options
    carly I sympathise but I'd urge you to look at why the T&Cs may have changed, why you may be worse off. It might be preferable to not having a job at all in six months time and that might be why your company has done what it's done.

It's not at all easy anywhere right now.
  • Options
    I read an article where 9% of firms were looking at pay cuts. I think it depends on whether striking will lead to the firm going out of business. The job market isn't looking too great.
  • Options
    I found out that my firm hadn't been correctly paying me my london allowance dating back to last april , they agreed that this was the case and are trying to get away with not backdating it . Now any other time I'd be proper kicking up as I know I'm in the right and they aint really got a leg to stand on but with the way the credit crunch is I'm worried about rocking the boat.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Difficult one this. Wholesale changes to employment law in the last twenty years have made it increasingly difficult for employees to have even the slightest say in what affects them at work - whilst at the same time making it easier for individuals who feel wronged (however justified or unjustified that may be) to threaten an employer with tribunals. This is a remarkable feat of legerdemain - making people think they have more rights when, in reality, they are far worse off in the workplace than they used to be.

This recession will see a large number of companies 'trying it on' by wringing their hands and saying they either need to make cuts now so that they can stay afloat during the recession, or saying they are 'renegotiating' (imposing) changes to terms & conditions that, whilst not having that great an impact now, will end up absolutely f***ing things for their workforce five years down the line (pension changes, annual leave cuts, removal of benefits like health insurance etc.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons very carefully before walking out - do you have the support of a strong trade union, is a walkout just going to make things worse, do you think its just a couple of new pricks trying to make a name for themselves at boardroom level early on (pressure in the right areas can achieve remarkable results in situations like this - just a few quiet words in the shelllike of a less belligerent board member often works wonders), are you likely to get the pump if you walk out, what's the level of support in your workplace (how many scabs are there likely to be) etc etc.

Having (successfully) led industrial action against a new and combative senior management team in the past (on three occasions) I can safely say that it is an extremely stressful thing to be at the forefront of - and certainly not something to be entered into lightly.

Good luck!
  • Options
    My company tried to get us to sign a new contract about a year ago that said our area would go from South East area to UK area and that we would work abroad. We responded by telling them that unless they included an acceptable pay increase for the inconvenience of the new terms we wouldn't sign it and they couldn't make us. A few grand on the annual salary resulted with the new T's & C's built in. (and we get quite a bit for working overseas too).

Prior to this I've worked for 18 months on 10% pay reduction to save redundacy's.

They are currently offering people unpaid leave in more or less any form they want to save more job losses which some, who can afford it, are loving it.

Bottom line is I don't think you have to sign any changes to your Terms & Conditions but you know the state of your company and the market better than me, so I'd base your desision on that.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Difficult one this. Wholesale changes to employment law in the last twenty years have made it increasingly difficult for employees to have even the slightest say in what affects them at work - whilst at the same time making it easier for individuals who feel wronged (however justified or unjustified that may be) to threaten an employer with tribunals. This is a remarkable feat of legerdemain - making people think they have more rights when, in reality, they are far worse off in the workplace than they used to be.

This recession will see a large number of companies 'trying it on' by wringing their hands and saying they either need to make cuts now so that they can stay afloat during the recession, or saying they are 'renegotiating' (imposing) changes to terms & conditions that, whilst not having that great an impact now, will end up absolutely f***ing things for their workforce five years down the line (pension changes, annual leave cuts, removal of benefits like health insurance etc.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons very carefully before walking out - do you have the support of a strong trade union, is a walkout just going to make things worse, do you think its just a couple of new pricks trying to make a name for themselves at boardroom level early on (pressure in the right areas can achieve remarkable results in situations like this - just a few quiet words in the shelllike of a less belligerent board member often works wonders), are you likely to get the pump if you walk out, what's the level of support in your workplace (how many scabs are there likely to be) etc etc.

Having (successfully) led industrial action against a new and combative senior management team in the past (on three occasions) I can safely say that it is an extremely stressful thing to be at the forefront of - and certainly not something to be entered into lightly.

Good luck!

Cheers Leroy

I first tought it was the pricks in the boardroom trying to make a name for themselves but it's gone on for too long and to a much higher level than them for it to be that.The union,although with strong backing, have dragged their feet for too long and have left the company in a stronger position than they were when it first came about.The credit crunch has worked massivley in their favour and i'm not sure if going out will do as much a damage as it would of done earlier.

Moaning about conditions of work when people are out there struggling to find any is,i know, a bit off,but i don't think that should be an excuse for a successfull company(even in todays climate)to start taking the piss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I found out that my firm hadn't been correctly paying me my london allowance dating back to last april , they agreed that this was the case and are trying to get away with not backdating it . Now any other time I'd be proper kicking up as I know I'm in the right and they aint really got a leg to stand on but with the way the credit crunch is I'm worried about rocking the boat.

if it was the other way round Buckshee they'd soon take it back off you so take whatis yours mate. Be reasonable and say you'll take a bit extra every month.