Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Walkers' Crisp Flavours

WSSWSS
edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Walkers will be offering six new crisp flavours from today including Cajun Squirrel, Crispy Duck and Builder's Breakfast following its competition that asked the public to suggest new flavours.

A team of judges, including Heston Blumenthal, the chef who invented snail porridge and bacon and egg ice cream, chose six winners from more than 1m entries to its 'Do Us a Flavour' competition, which launched in July.

The six finalists, who came up with Cajun Squirrel, Crispy Duck, Onion Bhaji, Fish and Chips, Chocolate and Chilli, and Builder's Breakfast, will each receive £10,000.
The flavour which receives the most votes from the public via Walker's website by May 1 will remain on sale while the other five will be discontinued.
The eventual winner will receive £50,000 and 1% of all profits, estimated at £57,000 a year.

Walkers was only expecting 250,000 entries when it launched the competition in July but was bombarded with about 1.2m suggestions.

Entrants had to submit a flavour and a picture that best summed it up, and where there were multiple entries for the same flavour the judging panel used the pictures as tie-breakers.

Martyn Wright, the online retailer from Staffordshire who invented the Cajun Squirrel flavour, said: "The idea might sound bizarre, but it really works."

Comments

• Options
    Cheese and Onion, Ready Salted or Salt and Vinegar. Not interested in anything else thankyou.
  • Options
    Palace fans are, literally, creaming it at the thought of having limited edition crisp bags to add to their collections?!
  • Options
    Now, to me smoky bacon crisps taste bugger all like bacon. Or smoke for that matter.

Now I might want to try a cajun seasoned squirrel and the only avenue I have to do that is through the medium of crisp. I hope it tastes like the real thing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Palace fans are, literally, creaming it at the thought of having limited edition crisp bags to add to their collections?!
    LOL!
  • Options
    the missus ad kids entered with aramatic duck,but each entry had to have a picture with it as we are not a family of artists,our picture wasn't up to the qualiy of other people that entered.We got a e-mail saying our flavour had been put forward,but our picture wasn't good enough compared to other people who had suggested it.They will send us a free bag of crisps in the flavour we suggested.Whoppee ;-(
  • Options
    Anyone seen these anywhere yet?
  • Options
    Yeah there are in a lot of food stores now i have tried Builders breakfast and chocalate and chilli which is horrible.
  • Options
    Yep I tried both fish and chips and squirrel today - both taste like shite!
  • Options
    Got some today, I like the duck one, taste like duck pancakes.

Builders breakfast was ok, flavours not as strong as the duck one.

Chilli and chocolate was weird, when you first eat one you can taste the chocolate which is pretty is horrible, chilli taste isn't so bad.

Haven't tried fish and chips or the squirrel one yet.
  • Options
    Squirrel one is truly awful tasted more like road kill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Say hi to clogged arteries..........
  • Options
    Had the squrrel ones today - halfway between chicken and paprika pringles I thought - not great.
  • Options
    the chocolate chilli ones are truly awful

builders breakfast are ok but a bit eggy
  • Options
    Fish and chips are crap, taste like stale scampi fries, Onion bhaji just taste like Paprika.

Not impressed by them so far!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Squirrel one is truly awful tasted more like road kill.

Now there's a coincidence...

I seem to remember a few years one of the crisp manufacturers coming out with hedgehog flavoured crisps. The advertising standards authority pointed out for the crisps to be called hedgehog flavour they actually had to taste of hedgehogs and not an approximation of what the manufacturers thought hedgehogs tasted like.

Naturally that did wonders for sales, once the public found out the taste was of authentic hedgehog no one wanted to eat them.
  • Options
    Hedgehog crisps were nice!