Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why we will get relegated

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
we have no strikers.

sorry, let me re-phrase that.

We have players who play up-front calling themselevs strikers who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo strapped to a cows arse (Gray, Burton) and we have a couple of players who can score hatful of goals at a lower level but havn't been given the chances the other 2 have (Dickson, McLeod & Fleetwood) and then we have 2 players at either end of the spectrum (Waggy - if he is still here, and Toddy) one who has scored just 1 senior goal in his career and the other who needs a walking stick to get around.

currently the only players scoring goals are Bouazza and Bailey - one no longer with us and the other suspended for the biggest game this season.

so wht does or manager do - yep, signs two defenders !!!!!!!

so, until we either sign a proven goalscorer ala Mendonca or Hunt or we actually try Dickson and Fleetwood (giving them 4 or 5 games like gray & Burton have had) we are doomed

Comments

• Options
    If the Norwich game is anything to go by Parkies plan is to play strikerless anyway.

Maybe we can sign 11 fat guys (Medders will work for cheap) and just stack them up in the goal, leaving no space for the ball to get in, then simply draw everygame 0-0.
  • Options
    20 points won't save us though
  • Options
    Ok given that we have no money who do you suggest we sign up-front?

Good strikers cost a disproportionate amount of money and we don't have the cash to buy such a player. You mention Mendonca but we took a hell of a risk on an injurt plagued player and had one great season from him. Andy Hunt was another with an injury record and he subsequently missed most of the first season in the Prem. I just don't see that these players are out there to be picked up cheaply.

At least Parky is taking steps to shore up a woefully performing defence and if we can stop leaking goals through unforced errors and if we can improve supply from the midfield then Gray/Waghorn/Burton/Dickson might score a few more goals. Until now we haven't created the opporunities, or enough of them.
  • Options
    It'd be pretty funny to watch though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]If the Norwich game is anything to go by Parkies plan is to play strikerless anyway.

Maybe we can sign 11 fat guys (Medders will work for cheap) and just stack them up in the goal, leaving no space for the ball to get in, then simply draw everygame 0-0.[/quote]

Theres no amount of money I wouldnt pay to see that!
  • Options
    I do agree about a lack of opportunities being created for the strikers, but that could also be down to their complete lack of movement. Bent always made great runs off the shoulder, give the ball to Mendonca on the edge of the box and he'd turn anyone... What do our strikers do? They just kind of stand there. Hard to give an opportunity to a striker who is standing still next to the defender. Not like I've been shouting "PASS! HE'S OPEN!" a lot this season.
  • Options
    Have no fear Golfie, Parky will come up with someone to fill that role. Seriously it is a problem but at this stage I'd settle for us creating a hatful of chances per game. The bare facts as far as I'm concerned is that we are not creative enough. We need to find some quality and power in midfield. Even Burton and Gray should be able to manage some tap ins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I do agree about a lack of opportunities being created for the strikers, but that could also be down to their complete lack of movement. Bent always made great runs off the shoulder, give the ball to Mendonca on the edge of the box and he'd turn anyone... What do our strikers do? They just kind of stand there. Hard to give an opportunity to a striker who is standing still next to the defender. Not like I've been shouting "PASS! HE'S OPEN!" a lot this season.

Agreed. Our strikers are all static for varying reasons.

Dickson was only on for 15 minutes or so on Saturday yet he made little or no effort to move around and lose his marker thereby creating some space for himself.

That is one thing Varney could do to some extent anyway. Unfortunately having got into position for the chance he couldn't (often) bury it.
  • Options
    Gray can score, but it's got to be set up for him right inside the box. He can't create chances for himself, doesn't seem to get in enough good positions.

Burton is a decent player, not a goalscorer.

Dickson, Fleetwood and McLeod won't be getting a chance, there must be a reason for that though.

Our strikers aren't great, but our midfield isn't creative enough. Sam and Bouazza could run with the ball and create space, but they can't pick out passes like Reid did for us. Can argue Ambrose can, but he doesn't very often, he usually keeps it simple.

We have several midfielders who are happier to sit in front of the defence than play an attacking game. Missed ZZ and Racon a bit there who are both comfortable taking the ball forward, again they don't pick out passes, they keep it simple like Ambrose most of the time. There's Basey who can put in a good cross, but he can't get into the positions to do it like Sam and Bouazza. Moutaouakil has put in a few decent crosses, but he's not going to play much while Murty is here.

We just have a big group of midfielders and haven't found a balanced midfield for a while.
  • Options
    doesn't matter who we signed up front, if our defence continued to leak 2-3 goals every game. Every team needs to be built from the defence, get tighter there and hope to nick games. Not ideal of course but with no money it is about the best we can hope for. Plus we are saving all our money for Lita!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Should never have got rid of Lisbie!!

However I thought Dickson in his cameo on Saturday showed he could beat a man and contribute, he did that in front of me in the East and put a good cross in, Gray is a big fox in the box type player, the clown will be OK if we go down and I bet he can't believe the money he is on!!

Again I don't really see why we don't have a settled ish CAFC side not too different from before Christmas or v Reading this that can do the job.

I think it is the lack of a settled side and lack of a settled brain in charge of team that is the issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Should never have got rid of Lisbie!!

I don't blame Pardew, I thought the same as he did, Lisbie was never going to stay fit for the season.

He's good at this level, but at Colchester the pressure was taken off him, he played regularly, and he got a fresh start.
  • Options
    People are mentioning Fleetwood - but he's just had his loan extended for a further month at Brighton.
    So he's out of the picture for a while.