Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"We want our Charlton back"

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
has been much sung of late but what does it mean?

Old gits like me remember third division football and Premiership football so which particular Charlton do people want?

Mid table Premiership football antagonised a lot of people for instance to the extent that they wanted Curbishley's head on a platter! One assumes therefore that they don't want THAT Charlton back!?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    none of those that sing it have a clue

FACT

groan..........still depressed :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've said this elsewhere but the Charlton I want back is the mid-late 80s model. Didn't have a pot to piss in, let alone a ground. But we had resilience in adversity, a team with a noble spirit and a passion and unity of purpose that kept us in the top flight against the odds and led to the Valley Party and a glorious return to SE7...
  • Options
    The old Charlton I remember were a piss poor Second tier outfit that was regularly beaten but did on occasion surprise you with a win.

Seems the same old Charlton to me apart from the last bit :-)
  • Options
    "We don't want our old Charlton back"
  • Options
    I don't want to get into a JCL debate but the people that do start and sing that song are the youngsters (that makes even me feel old) who have only seen us for the past 10 years and started to get vocal in their support. It's not their fault...

However, the whole J block of youngsters couldnt keep up with the 20 or so L block massive at the Norwich game.

"We are the L block..."
  • Options
    we have our Charlton back

never understood that one either, since i was in the north for most of our premiership years I only remeber watchin us being a piss poor almost team, who were just proud we had our own ground back.
  • Options
    The Charlton I want back is the Charlton were the players would bleed for the shirt and never say die, the Charlton that could be 3 goals down at half time and would not stop fighting and still gave the fans hope that we would get something out of the game and often did. The Charlton whose players appreciated the opportunity the club has given them and loved the fans as much as we loved them. The Charlton that encouraged an intimidating atmosphere at the Valley and would look after it supporters and appreciate what they do for the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]I've said this elsewhere but the Charlton I want back is the mid-late 80s model. Didn't have a pot to piss in, let alone a ground. But we had resilience in adversity, a team with a noble spirit and a passion and unity of purpose that kept us in the top flight against the odds and led to the Valley Party and a glorious return to SE7...

You want to go back to Selhurst?! ;-)
  • Options
    Like Len I also go back to the days of Duff, Leary and Summers.

I want a Charlton which has these components:
    Players - footballers who care about the significance of the team, work for the team,might not always succeed but always put in an honest 100% performance - Robinson, Kinsella, Rufus, Brown etc.
    Manager - who can wheel and deal within tight financial constraints and get the best out of hat he has - Lawrence
    Directors - who have a vision and within their financial abilty support that vision,the team and the manager
    Supporters - who give the team their support on the field but aren't afraid to criticise when the game is over.

We won't win every game, in fact who knows when the next win will come, but whatever level we play at we all are all committed together to give 110% for Charlton, be that as a Supporter, Director, Manager or Player.
  • Options
    You want to go back to Selhurst?! ;-)

No, but I'd love a little bit of that '87 St Andrews play-off final replay spirit...but I'd settle for the Wembley '98 play-off spirit, too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of the "fans" really wound me up against Norwich. for 70mins the mood was jovial, everybody having a laugh, going through the repotoire of old songs and enjoying it. As soon as Norwich equalised there were shouts of "F*** off Parki you C***" and we "want our Charlton back". Also, apprently Chris Dickson is the best player in the world and we wouldn't be in this mess if he played every game. Back to the thread, "we want our Charlton back" is a brainless chant sung by the brainless. Did my head in!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Some of the "fans" really wound me up against Norwich. for 70mins the mood was jovial, everybody having a laugh, going through the repotoire of old songs and enjoying it. As soon as Norwich equalised there were shouts of "F*** off Parki you C***" and we "want our Charlton back". Also, apprently Chris Dickson is the best player in the world and we wouldn't be in this mess if he played every game. Back to the thread, "we want our Charlton back" is a brainless chant sung by the brainless. Did my head in!!

My girlfriend went to the Norwich game, and she commented on how the support changed quickly once Norwich scored.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Some of the "fans" really wound me up against Norwich. for 70mins the mood was jovial, everybody having a laugh, going through the repotoire of old songs and enjoying it. As soon as Norwich equalised there were shouts of "F*** off Parki you C***" and we "want our Charlton back". Also, apprently Chris Dickson is the best player in the world and we wouldn't be in this mess if he played every game. Back to the thread, "we want our Charlton back" is a brainless chant sung by the brainless. Did my head in!!

My girlfriend went to the Norwich game, and she commented on how the support changed quickly once Norwich scored.

I noticed and was annoyed by that too and mentioned it on another thread after the match.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's very easy to call it brainless, yes in the case of the Norwich match it may have been song a bit willy nilly as with Jonjo on the pitch the performance was a bit more like what I expect from a Charlton team then it has been for a while.

The fact is the spirit and spark of the team is not what it was 15-20 years ago and we are a poorer side because of it.
  • Options
    I agree with that, but I don't think "We want our Charlton back" is the correct song, because like other people have mentioned, what does that mean? We need to fight and show fighting qualities, "Get into them and don't give up" is a better song, not great I admit.
  • Options
    The song had some validity when yeah, you could argue that Premier League wages, JFH, Big Bent and all that had taken "our" Charlton away. But singing it now is like barking at the moon.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    like barking at the moon. . .

some of us are, Inspector, some of us already are!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mad83[/cite]The Charlton I want back is the Charlton were the players would bleed for the shirt and never say die, the Charlton that could be 3 goals down at half time and would not stop fighting and still gave the fans hope that we would get something out of the game and often did. The Charlton whose players appreciated the opportunity the club has given them and loved the fans as much as we loved them. The Charlton that encouraged an intimidating atmosphere at the Valley and would look after it supporters and appreciate what they do for the club.

The Charlton I want back, is the one that doesn't throw the towel in when they concede a 2nd half goal.

C'mon you bastards, FIGHT!
    If we're a goal down with 15mins to go, fight for a result or at least make us proud of you by trying!
  • Options
    As a chant it dose what it says on the tin, we want back what the club has lost in the last few year which to put in simple terms is that special spirit and spark that made Charlton great and made me fall in love with this club and it is only us the fans who seem to be keeping this spirit alive.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mad83[/cite]The Charlton I want back is the Charlton were the players would bleed for the shirt and never say die, the Charlton that could be 3 goals down at half time and would not stop fighting and still gave the fans hope that we would get something out of the game and often did. The Charlton whose players appreciated the opportunity the club has given them and loved the fans as much as we loved them. The Charlton that encouraged an intimidating atmosphere at the Valley and would look after it supporters and appreciate what they do for the club.

Sumed up pretty well.

I judge the team on attitude and effort, not league position.

The Charlton of our first couple of seasons back in the Premiership is the one I want to see again. Not because we were in the premisership but for the attitude and commitment shown by the likes of Kinsella, Rufus, Brown and Robinson to name a few.

IMHO that Charlton disapperaed long before curbishley departed or we were relagated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    The homeless ruffians led by Lawrence,Aizlewood and Shirtliff that battled and battled and battled some more and got us and kept us up against all odds.
    The Spirit and quality that kept the club afloat from the 817 in the Full Members cup against Bradford City to the 75,000+ at Wembley in 98, the clean sheets of Sasa in the same year.
    The balls and the blood and guts of the guys that gave their all in 1998-99 despite the outcome, who never knew when they were beaten.
    The Kind of Charlton that brings a lump to your throat and a tear to the eye when the intro movie is played on the screen to the music of Romeo and Juliet culminating with Don Welsh and Mark Kinsella.
    The kind of performances that would make the statue of Sam Bartram smile outside the west stand.
    Running out onto the sacred Valley turf against Liverpool and feeling like you had a fair chance of beating them.
    The sheer joy of playing for our club displayed by legends like Chris Powell.

That is our Charlton and I want that back!