Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Herman

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Probably a theoretical question because I'm sure he'd prefer a move to a struggling Prem team or promotion chasing Championship team:

Would it be a good idea to try to take Herman back for the rest of the season even though his wages will be high?

Comments

• No. Makes Basey look like Usain Bolt.
  • No, unless he's suddenly become a 20-goal a season forward....
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]No. Makes Basey look like Usain Bolt.

Yeah but they won't get the chance to run at him, they'll either be smothered by him or injured!!
  • i read somewhere the other day he was going back to scandinavia to play over there.
  • No - we can't afford him and his teams always get relegated anyway!
  • Not worth paying big wages for anyone. No one that would sign for us is going to be enough to save us. Better spending it on three of four players to improve the squad if possible, as hard as that will be.
  • Surprised Redknapp's not trying to sign him for Spurs .........
  • Norwich were looking at him according to the local paper here
  • I reckon he's got one more premiership relegation in him.
  • This is the same HH who had a clause in his contract allowing him to walk out on a relegation. Folk have a pop at the likes of Parker who netted us a load of cash, but HH is always viewed with affection or at least indifference.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]I reckon he's got one more premiership relegation in him.[/quote] notlong till he extends the record
  • awful player no thanks
  • The man who has a relegation clause, yet has been relegated withe every team he's played for.
    Just another in the long line of cowards who have besmirched our shirt over the last few seasons.
    He's had enough of our money
  • I always liked Herman....

hes looked alright for protsmouth, and did a job for us for a few years.....

the last year as centre back cover his heart wasnt in it any more.... overall I thought he did well for us...
  • edited November 2009
    I can't quite believe he's still playing premiership football; I thought he was looking past it a couple of years ago. Had some shocking games in his final season for us.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I can't quite believe he's still playing premiership football; I thought he was looking past it a couple of years ago. Had some shocking games in his final season for us.[/quote]

Think most of the players did that season......
    ;-)
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

Think most of the players did that season......
    ;-)

Very true, but most of them have proved they were indeed shocking or past it and started to fade away. I think I'm right in saying that only Bent, Young and Reid are still playing Prem football? And those were the ones we rated anyway.

It really was a dreadful squad, and I'm just surprised Herman has emerged from it with his career intact, despite appearing to be a spent force along with the likes of Holland, Hasselbaink etc.

EDIT: I was accidentally thinking of some 2005 players, ammended, with little difference!
  • I think most of the animosity towards Herman is that he made it pretty clear 'early doors' that he was going to have it on his toes if we were relegated even before the certainty was confirmed...as a player he was pretty good, though as already stated by others that season 90% of the players had dreadfull form.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Very true, but most of them have proved they were indeed shocking or past it and started to fade away. I think I'm right in saying that only Bent, Young and Reid are still playing Prem football? And those were the ones we rated anyway.
    Amdy Faye at Stoke (not playing much though), Bryan Hughes at Hull (though just had a look and he's just gone back there after a loan at Derby).

Marcus Bent is on loan at Middlesbrough from Birmingham. Does Alex Song count? Guess we'll see Bougherra in the Prem at some point.
  • "Just another in the long line of cowards who have besmirched our shirt over the last few seasons.
    He's had enough of our money "

Spot on, Chizz
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair to Herman he carried an injury for most of that final season.
  • Does not look like he's gonna have much luck with any relegation clause after yesterdays injury. I would not wish an injury like that on any player but I do resent players like Mills and H who look for the door as soon as relegation looms. I wonder if his relegation clause works both ways and Pompey can release him when they go down.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I would not wish an injury like that on any player but I do resent players like Mills and H who look for the door as soon as relegation looms.

Someone has to agree to put those clauses in the contracts, nothing wrong with em I say, helped us lower the wage bill, Herman got to carry on playing in the prem. Don't resent anything about that. It's players like Parker I can't stand, who agree to a contract then wish to renage on it.
  • I agree HH didn't really do anything wrong, he was still seen as good enough to play in the Prem, so I can understand why he wanted to leave. Not like he hadn't been loyal to us, or was a Charlton fan. If no one came in for him, or we made him stay then he stopped trying for us that would be a problem.

Like Stu said we had to lower the wage bill, and he was a player we could/should have been able to replace. He's done well to have 3 seasons in the Prem since, even if it has ended in another relegation as he had a poor final season with us.
  • His relatively poor final season with us (that is poor by Herman's standards) was no doubt as a result of carrying an injury nearly all that season.

He was rarely able to train - but despite his lack of sharpness, he wanted to play for the shirt and didn't lack effort.
    Just was always less than match fit.

It seems people forget.
  • In life you get what you negotiate and we'd have had to have sold him once we went down, I'd rather we got some money for him, but he wore the shirt with pride.

Or do we just always have to reflexively hate every ex-player?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]In life you get what you negotiate and we'd have had to have sold him once we went down, I'd rather we got some money for him, but he wore the shirt with pride.

Or do we just always have to reflexively hate every ex-player?[/quote]

No there are still plenty of ex players I still like. Its the ones that build relegation releases in thier contracts that i don't like, as said above he would have gone anyway, but we would have got some money for him, which with hindsight would have been useful.
  • Think Stu is spot on with the parker comment:
    Signed a 5 year contract with us,Chelski,Newcastle & West Ham within 6 years.....
  • Herman was a legend. Hope he gets fit quickly and finds a new club for next season.

He signed for us, I believe, on the day we lost 1-6 at home to Leeds. I think that most players would get a clause like that added to their contract having just watched that game
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Its the ones that build relegation releases in thier contracts that i don't like

I don't think he snuck it in whilst nobody was looking fella.