Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honestly - when did you first think the writing was on the wall?

13»

Comments

• Options
    WhenIWas said : ''You can go right back to when Parker was sold to see the start of the Charlton decline.''

That's fair enough as a perspective from 2009. But were you aware of that in January 2004? I suspect not, and the question originally posed by Weegie was 'when did you first think the writing was on the wall?'...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Thought about this last night, i think it was when the board did not give Alan the One year deal he wanted, that would have kept us that season and made sure the mega TV money that came in that year went to the club, then in that summer if they promised alan half or Two Thirds of that i think they could have managed to make him stay or failing that have 30m plus in the bank to make sure they got a Top Top manager, by being stubbon and wanting him to sign another 7 year deal they did not prepare for him saying no and goodbye..

Sounds so simple now, Adam, but I do agree with others who feel that Curbs' heart was no longer in it. Think he would have struggled to buy well, and wouldn't have been looking to the long term. Could still have gone horribly worng that season even with him still there. The really infuriating thing is that he was never given the kind of transfer kitty that Dowie was just handed.
  • Options
    The beginning of 06/07, I remember when we played that home game against Man U, although not a shock to lose there was something about the way we lost which made me feel we were already in a relegation battle.
    Last season the defeat away to West Brom seemed to signal the end of the line.This season aside from the Reading performance (which was brilliant) has been one long lumbering disaster after another, oh and almost accepting the odd draw against bad opposition as victories sandwiched amongst the myriad of losses shows how far we have fallen in such a short time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]The club is still here, we have a team to support, ok we are not where we would like to be but then every team has its ups and downs thats what its all about.

Couldnt agree more!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    'AFKA wrote and Stu agreed : "Every team has its ups and downs thats what its all about.''

Indeed, But every team does not fall from the Prem to div one (three) within the space of three seasons. That is not what it's all about and so let's pray it doesn't happen...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]The really infuriating thing is that he was never given the kind of transfer kitty that Dowie was just handed.

True mate, i bet he could not belive when he saw how much Dowie was spending. i know Curbs had a few duffers ie; Jeffers etc but he would have got it right aswell and we would have got some solid stable charlton signings in, not mercernary foriegners and past it fatties..
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]'AFKA wrote and Stu agreed : "Every team has its ups and downs thats what its all about.''

Indeed, But every team does not fall from the Prem to div one (three) within the space of three seasons. That is not what it's all about and so let's pray it doesn't happen...[/quote]

It happens i dont want it to and its not over yet but it happens Leeds, Man City, Swindon
  • Options
    Yes, Leeds, Man City, Swindon ... I wonder what lessons we learnt from those examples?
  • Options
    Yes, Leeds, Man City, Swindon ... I wonder what lessons we learnt from those examples?

SUPPORT MAN UNITED!! lol
  • Options
    Skimming back over the 70 contributions here, there are cleary many different views and perspectives and one could not claim anything approaching a consensus. But if there's one specific moment being mentioned more than any other, I'd say it's the sale of Andy Reid...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Skimming back over the 70 contributions here, there are cleary many different views and perspectives and one could not claim anything approaching a consensus. But if there's one specific moment being mentioned more than any other, I'd say it's the sale of Andy Reid...

My take on Reid as posted elsewhere:

Reid keeps recurring as a factor and he was a decent player at times BUT 50% of the time he was injured!

£4 million for a crock when we could only get £2.5 million for an England International was reasonable I think.

If Reid had stayed with us he would have got injured again for sure.

As I said above when a longstanding employee AND FAN walks away you know something is definitely not right.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]'AFKA wrote and Stu agreed : "Every team has its ups and downs thats what its all about.''

Indeed, But every team does not fall from the Prem to div one (three) within the space of three seasons. That is not what it's all about and so let's pray it doesn't happen...

Good god I hope it doenst happen, but if it does, most of us will still be there, supporting our team with the same passion we did in the Prem.

Good times, bad times, whatever, it could be worse, could be a plastic man yoo fan looking forward to watching a game on sky on Sunday!
  • Options
    lets be honest here everyone

we ALL feel let down by the Board

end of

I'm sooooooooo depressed

:-(
  • Options
    Easy one this.

I KNEW the dream was over as soon as Spotty Parker left for Chelsea. Before that we had NEVER lost a player that we really wanted to keep whilst in the Premiership and we were starting to become a bit of a force to be reckoned with.

Parker's departure (not least the dreadful manner in which it happened] woke up a lot of people, not least Mr Curbishley himself, to the fact that we were never going to get past the "little Charlton" thing and that no matter how much we denied it we really were at the mercy of the big clubs and their cheque books.

Parker's departure seemed to change our whole ethos and suddenly rather than picking up hungry players [Euell, JJ, Fish etc] we suddenly started bringing in prima donnas [Denise, Murphy, Jeffers, Bent M] and the magic died.

And, much as I did not allow myself to hold the thought for long at the time, as soon as Dowie was announced as new manager I knew it was all over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Don't see how people can say Dowie's appointment was when they knew the writing was on the wall.

I was one of those people, so let me try to explain. Like Valley McMoist, I too was at that Bromley Addicks meeting to which he refers, when Dowie's name was first mentioned. I also knew at that time that Palace fans were aware that all was not well with him and tangoman at Palace (even though he was still in the championship play-offs), and speculation was that he was going to leave Palace. I put two and two together and thought that I was getting 5 (well done VM for getting 4) and really believed that our club wouldn't be stupid enough to replace Curbs with Dowie. I came away from that regular end of season RM meeting for the first time with a real uncomfortable feel. On the way home, I was discussing the things that were talked about with another CL poster (he knows who he is), the new 3 member coaching structure, Andrew Mills, complete change in style of play etc. but most of all about who we wanted to come in and Dowie would have been very low on my list, in fact I didn't want him anywhere near my football club. I never rated him as a player and thought his managerial career was limited. Any "success" that he had was outside the Premiership and any qualities that he had (motivational being about the only one I could think of) were not great credentials for a team looking to move on up from the Curbs era. Nearly keeping Palace in the Premiership was hardly what we should have been looking for. When he was appointed I was absolutely gutted and once I had seen the squad he had assembled by the start of the new season, I knew "the writing was on the wall". He was and we were absolutely awful. I also don't buy into this "RM didn't have a ready made replacement", as part of the reason that he was so willing to let Curbs go early in my opinion, is because he probably already had someone else in mind ! The final question put to RM at those regular meetings was always "where do you think/like us to be in x years time" (the first response all those years ago was to be like a QPR or Norwich ! ) and on that occasion he was very bullish about the new era, I left that meeting for the first time ever with a bad feel, which has got worse and worse over the subsequent days/months/years.
  • Options
    I forget the game but Halford just had another nightmare in his previous match, without having shown anything apart from his long throws and he appears on the teamsheet again. At that stage we weren't doomed but stagnating and I just wanted to see some good football (as played by Moo2).

If we have a miracle revival and stay up, Parky will field a side of 6ft plus journeymen and we will hoof our way to mediocrity with no decent football until the crowds dwindle to Selhurst levels.
  • Options
    Very fine and well argued response, No 1. But did you not feel we were 'back on track' when Pardew was appointed at Xmas 2006? I, too, was appalled by Dowie. But remember doing a little jig around the Xmas tree on hearing the news about Pardew. That's why I now feel like a right bloody fool...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Very fine and well argued response, No 1. But did you not feel we were 'back on track' when Pardew was appointed at Xmas 2006? I, too, was appalled by Dowie. But remember doing a little jig around the Xmas tree on hearing the news about Pardew. That's why I now feel like a right bloody fool...

As I said in my original post, one of a couple of false dawns along the journey. I was pleased with his appointment, but it was too little too late, the rot had begun to set in. Apart from the 4-0 against WHAM and the 4-2 against Reading and the Zabeel announcement, I have never felt positive about our prospects of turning around the slump which began in my opinion with the Dowie appointment. I can even see why some believe it might have started earlier with the Parker sale, as in their eyes we could only go one way if we couldn't be strong enough to hold onto our best players. I thought at the time that Curbs could use the cash wisely, which in hindsight I don't believe he did. I only really believed the rot had well and truely set in when Dowie arrived.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Very fine and well argued response, No 1. But did you not feel we were 'back on track' when Pardew was appointed at Xmas 2006? I, too, was appalled by Dowie. But remember doing a little jig around the Xmas tree on hearing the news about Pardew. That's why I now feel like a right bloody fool...[/quote]

As I said in my original post, one of a couple of false dawns along the journey. I was pleased with his appointment, but it was too little too late, the rot had begun to set in. Apart from the 4-0 against WHAM and the 4-2 against Reading and the Zabeel announcement, I have never felt positive about our prospects of turning around the slump which began in my opinion with the Dowie appointment. I can even see why some believe it might have started earlier with the Parker sale, as in their eyes we could only go one way if we couldn't be strong enough to hold onto our best players. I thought at the time that Curbs could use the cash wisely, which in hindsight I don't believe he did. I only really believed the rot had well and truely set in when Dowie arrived.[/quote]

With Parker, it was more the fact that we were doing SO well and he still could hardly wait to get out the door and join a club where he knew he'd be coming off the bench at best. We knew he was as near to irreplaceable as made no difference although I think I would have liked Curbs to have tried a BIT harder to replace him than with Kish, Holland and an on-loan Smertin.

If we'd been struggling then fair enough but we were top six and our best player for years more or less walked out on the club, it was a terrible blow from which we have never really recovered bar that little Benty-inspired run at the start of 2005/06.