Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much can one man do?

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
A qestion provoked by an e-mail from my Reading friend, which I quoted in the Graeme Murty thread -

He wrote : "There are lessons to be learnt from Charlton for every supposed ‘model’ club - I always thought they might be more Curbishley Athletic than Charlton Athletic just as I fear that Coppell FC is but a passing phenomenon in our part of the world."

In other words, he fears that when Coppell goes, Reading will fall into decline, just as we have done post-Curbishley. What other examples of clubs that punched above their weight under a shrewd or inspirational manager, but fell apart once that figure left? Clough and Forest is an obvious one, I suppose...

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Martin O'Neill Leicester
  • Options
    Harry Redknapp Portsmouth
  • Options
    Redknapp, portsmouth??
  • Options
    Wimbledon while they were in the Prem?
  • Options
    It's a very good point.

Will be interesting to see how Burton fair now Clough Jnr has gone. There in a position now that they can hardly fail to get promoted. I hope they do get up for their chairman and fan's sake.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Harry Redknapp Portsmouth

Redknapp at West Ham even, they went down a couple of years after he left.

Not a dramatic decline in the same way as other clubs though.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what happens when Fergie finally leaves United...
  • Options
    Perhaps the same as after Matt Busby's retirement when they eventually ended up in the old Div.2 but somehow I don't think so!
  • Options
    Phil Parkinson - Colchester United
  • Options
    This one's got the old grey matter churning NW. Going back a bit, how about Dave Sexton at both Chelsea and QPR. I believe they both got relegated soon after he left: QPR a year after going within one point of the 1st.Div'n title I think.. Also Spurs suffered when Bill Nicholson retired.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably the most famous and dramatic one of all - Man United and Sir Matt Busby
  • Options
    I always thought that O'Neil at leicester was great as we would not be complacent and the board would have a plan!!! how hollow a thought that is now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I always thought that O'Neil at leicester was great as we would not be complacent and the board would have a plan!!! how hollow a thought that is now.

Holloway was Leicester's plan B last season. Certainly ended up being the hollow way for them.
  • Options
    What one man can do is dream
    What one man can do is love
    What one man can do is change the world
    And make it young again
    Here you see what one man can do

John Denver (1943-1997)

Now ive got that out of my head (hopefully)

Another suggestable name for this thread

Gary Johnson @ Yeovil
  • Options
    Are you sure that was John Denver, Thommo?

Sounds more like a piece of Tony Blair's bragging to me...

or perhaps the secret of new Labour and the entire Blairite project is now out - it was all based on a John Denver song!

Personally, I'd have lined up another JD song for Blair many, many years ago. Something about ''leaving on a jet plane''...and hopefully not coming back again.

But I think I've strayed off topic. And as I started the topic,that's a desperate sin so I'm going to go away and say a hundred 'hail Curbishleys' as my penance...
  • Options
    I think you'd better set up a focus group Nigel, subject:' Mind on the Job'. Anyway, who can forget the sky blue spin doctor Jimmy Hill at Coventry and the late Ian Greaves at Huddersfield.Both worked wonders that didn't last.
  • Options
    It often happens to companies too, when a long-standing and successful MD/ CEO leaves. All to do with the culture and clarity of direction/ vision - gets the best out of people working there, then suddenly it changes.

Change without vision = chaos, as we are finding to our cost, sadly.