Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting news about Defoe's wages....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5454760.ece

Says in that article that he was on only (I know) 35K per week at the Spuds and went on to 50K per week at Pompey and is now going to get 60K per week back at Spuds.

That all sounded a bit low to me but it does come (almost certainly) from Redknapp himself so its got to be correct.

If Defoe was only on (I know) 35K per week at Spuds then I think our Premiership top-earners could only have been on half of that (at best) given the hugely different finances of the clubs.

Whaddya reckon? Have we been over-estimating how much we actually paid in Premiership wages?

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't Hasselbaink on something ridiculous like 55k per week when he came over to us? Also Danny the dud was on a good 40k was he not?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Wasn't Hasselbaink on something ridiculous like 55k per week when he came over to us? Also Danny the dud was on a good 40k was he not?[/quote]

No way known that we paid JFH 55K, although I guess he would have got a hefty signing-on fee so his wages might have been inflated by that.

Murphy must have been the top-earner at the club since he came from Liverpool and we beat Spurs to his signature so if anyone would have been on the 20K mark it would have been him.

Most people reckon our top wages were about 20K per week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Wasn't Hasselbaink on something ridiculous like 55k per week when he came over to us?

No, a lot less than that.
  • Options
    Was JFH on £30k or something? Thought I read he was on something similar to that. Or maybe I have ben playing too much FM.
  • Options
    Also read that Defoe had a clause written in when sold to Pompey that the Spuds would receive £4mil if/when he was sold on!

So they buy him back and pocket £4mil??

Whoever said football was screwed up.

Will it ever go back o how it once was? *sigh*
  • Options
    I think Faye was on at least 30k a week and well worth every penny.........oh.
  • Options
    Anyone have odds for Portsmouth getting relegated?

I don't think Adams is a good manager.

Defoe and Diarra have gone and they might have to sell more due to their money problems.

Redknapp held them together-much like Curbs with us.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Anyone have odds for Portsmouth getting relegated?

Defoe and Diarra have gone and they might have to sell more due to their money problems.

Add to that Arsenal are after Krancjar and Diop is out injured for 3 months. I too think there's a good chance they'll get sucked in, although you'd have to think they'll re-invest some of the 30m+ from Diarra and Defoes sales on new players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Anyone have odds for Portsmouth getting relegated?

7 to 2 skybet and extrabet 3 to 1 with the major bookies
  • Options
    A few lads at work knew Parker's old man through the balck cab dad's network. When he signed his last contract it was said he was on near 20 grand a week.

Taking that into account I wouldn't have been surprised if Jeffers was on that and Murphy a little more. When Darren Bent signed his last contract he must have been on way over twenty grand pushing thirty.

As others say JFH was supposed to be the highest ever earner, and Jesper Blomqvist was before that. Of course this is all hearsay but I believe the papers are generally right about wages if much else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My Portsmouth mate is very depressed about their situation and also thinks they could get relegated - although we know that fans are usually a lot more realistic pessimistic than outsiders.

[cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]although you'd have to think they'll re-invest some of the 30m+ from Diarra and Defoes sales on new players

He also reckons that they only get to spend about a third of the money that comes in from sales because of their finances. They've already spent 4.4m on making Belhadj permanent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As others say JFH was supposed to be the highest ever earner, and Jesper Blomqvist was before that. Of course this is all hearsay but I believe the papers are generally right about wages if much else.

Blomqvist??? money well spent then... tho i wouldnt really believe that true"!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As others say JFH was supposed to be the highest ever earner, and Jesper Blomqvist was before that. Of course this is all hearsay but I believe the papers are generally right about wages if much else.[/quote]

Blomqvist??? money well spent then... tho i wouldnt really believe that true"![/quote]

Jesper Blomqvist was NOT a big earner at Charlton, I think you can pretty much bank on that.
  • Options
    Geez that Kranjar would be a lethal weapon at Ar$ehole.
  • Options
    We had a wage structure that wouldnt be shifted it caused us to miss out on numerous players. i am led to believe that it maxed at 25K a week at it's highest. this was after several seasons in the prem and it was increased to that level in accordance to the money coming in to the club.

all the talk of any amount over that should be placed into the recycling bin.

these figures were told by Alan C
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Was JFH on £30k or something? Thought I read he was on something similar to that. Or maybe I have ben playing too much FM.

Which if true, was £29,999 a week too much!
  • Options
    There were rumours going about that JFH (alledgedly) was told that he was to be find 2 weeks wages after refusing to play for the reserves. Apparently he walked to his car , got out his checkbook and wrote out a kite for £60,000, took it back into the managers office and threw it on his desk.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]There were rumours going about that JFH (alledgedly) was told that he was to be find 2 weeks wages after refusing to play for the reserves. Apparently he walked to his car , got out his checkbook and wrote out a kite for £60,000, took it back into the managers office and threw it on his desk.

That was Marcus Bent