Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town

Met a supporter of theirs on New Year's Eve - some are in a worse plight than us (at the moment...)

He reckoned their biggest mistake was to get relegated just as the Premiership was launched. A bit like getting relegated just before a mega new TV deal.

Oh well, serves them right for beating us 7-1...

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Luton Town have always been a bit of an anti-football football club to my mind, awful ground, away fan ban in the 80's, Id cards for fans and probably a whole heap more that doesn't immediately spring to mind. I always remember their smug as you like fans gloating at us as they thought we were going down in '87 and we didn't! I feel sorry for Bournemouth but find it hard to have to much sympathy for Luton Town, although having said that a -30pt situation is a bit like relegating them to the conference but thats the football league for you! You are bang on Weegie when you say they are having a worse time than even us though! (welcome back by the way!)
  • Options
    Absolutely great football team with an excellent youth setup that totally beats ours. I can't deny their ground is terrible but I still love going to their cramped proper football ground, albeit with only three sides. Can't deny they have some ass fans but don't know any other club that doesn't. Can't deny that they always seemed to have a terrible Thatcher's baby Tory like Graham Allbright.

They never were going to survive the prem era with such a small cramped ground, and the prem's required expenditure. A few false moves and that's it. There's no room for expansion and when a government constantly turns down your building plans right on top of the M1 because the road links are not good enough, what can you do but go bust every spike in expenditure? Bit harsh to say you don't empathise with their position. Especially when Newcastle does the same thing and nothing happens, whilst West Ham lie to the FA and nothing happens. A 30 point reduction is a disgrace but I'll still enjoy visiting if their in the conference next season.
  • Options
    A 30 point reduction is probably the biggest crime in modern football. The new owners found out what happened, reported it to the FA then got punished themselves.

Could they be the first team to have 3 consecutive relegations?
  • Options
    As mentioned 30 points compared to a £5 million fine to a Premiership Club does not seem fair!

Like much in life though it is who you know in the right places.
  • Options
    Leverage ain't it? Don't admit to it outright at first, pay your top quality lawyers and you've always got a chance. Admit to something that's not even illegal according to English law, unlike Spurs in the 80's, and the Football authorities love a bit of it. David Conn's pieces on it are about the only football journalism with any insight.

Didn't Carlisle do three relegations in three seasons? Think there was a few others as well in the late 70's and 80's. Not Wolves but someone like that.
  • Options
    Was it Swansea ?
  • Options
    It was Bristol City in 1982!
  • Options
    And then they went bust, if I remember.

They were the precedent for Charlton (1984).
  • Options
    Ah Wolves did get three consecutive relegations. I only really remember the resurgence and promotion from the bottom tier at Burnley.

Yeah it was Bristol City as well, bit before my time as well.