Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson

I notice today that West Ham’s owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson ‘supposedly’ has two months in which to flog the club.

About four to six weeks ago, if you’d asked me, I’d have said Zabeel would quite possibly have bought him out sometime around now so that they could make an impact in the transfer window but the continued deterioration of the global financial situation made me think again and I thought they’d keep their powder dry for the time being.

However, with rumours of Gudmundsson’s impending bankruptcy and other groups possibly sniffing around (although we’ve seen with the likes of Newcastle and Everton that this isn’t always the case) perhaps they’ll move in soon?

Zabeel would, in their own eyes, have given Richard Murray the ‘foreseeable future’ in which they promised not to buy anyone else. A two or three month gap is quite long-term for an organisation working in a very hard-nosed, fast-paced environment like Dubai and if a group like that want something, well, they’ll just go and get it as we would be inconsequential and very old news.

I know a fair bit about business in the Gulf states and I was well aware that our own Zabeel deal would only become certain once Al Hashimi was actually pictured on the pitch shaking hands with Richard Murray.

I am pretty sure something took Zabeel’s fancy while they were about to commit to us and that trumped up PR tart Amanda Staveley may well have been involved – as the Guardian implied at the time.

I guess, deep down, with my irrational love for the Addicks, I was hoping that if we managed to get out of this mess and the financial markets stabilised a bit in the next six months – the Dubai Financial Market has plummeted like most others – then maybe, just maybe, they might have come back in for us?

Yes, I know and Elvis Presley is alive and well and working in a kebab shop in Kilburn.

But what does make me feel sick is the possibility of our one-time saviours hooking up with the Hammers or, if we do go down and someone else comes up from League One at just the right time….

…well, that will be the final kick in the bollocks I think.

Comments