Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

********Parkinson Named New Permanent Boss*********

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Parky named boss.....

On The O/S now

Comments

• Options
    oh well, have to get behind them now!
  • Options
    Oh dear...now I know how I'll be spending the day...reading caustic posts on here!
  • Options
    Bring on the Orient!
  • Options
    Everything in the statements says it is all about money. More so Chappell's comments.

Most worrying of all is the fact that Parkison "what little money there is".

So we save money by not appointing a new manager and still have little to spend on new players and still have to trim the squad.

Preparations for the fight ahead or preparations for division 1. I genuinely don't know.
  • Options
    Well the thing that jumps out at me from both Murray and Chappell's comments is this is basically a financially driven decision.
  • Options
    It was the only decision they could realistically make at this stage. There just isn't time (or money) available to bring in someone new, let them assess the squad & make decisions on who to recruit & who to let go. We have to give our total support to Parky now & hope he can turn it around.
  • Options
    Where to start on this one?
    Surprised? No
    This seems to be the cheap option.
    No mention of the duration of his contract.
    Perhaps if/when we are relegated he gets the sack with no compo.
    The board recognise we are probably doomed and few people would want to take us on at the mo.
    The board are probably still frantically chasing a takeover. If that happens the new board could sack Parky. So the current board can say 'it weren't me guv'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]It was the only decision they could realistically make at this stage. There just isn't time (or money) available to bring in someone new, let them assess the squad & make decisions on who to recruit & who to let go. We have to give our total support to Parky now & hope he can turn it around.
    Yep. I have to admit I'm not especially overwhelmed by the decision, but all the way along I've not been able to think of another manager that
    a) would come to us in the position we are in
    b) we could afford anyway.

The decision's been made now, and we've all just got to get on with it.
  • Options
    Need to get my thoughts together first, but first impression is i feel very let down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I posted this on Sailor's thread:

Michael Gliksten reincarnated.

That said if we are so skint that we can only afford dross rather than Curbslike quality as manager then we may as well save the compensation and hope for a Cliff Holton reincarnated in January to arrive amongst our "new" players.
  • Options
    The words below say it all…a truly ‘political’ way of saying we’re only prepared to fork out so much and we’ve mismanaged the finances…

‘…there is no one better than Phil to turn things around, and we believe any money the club currently has to invest must be spent on the pitch.
    ‘Changing managers and the backroom staff comes at a very high cost, and it's clear we need to focus any investment on the pitch’

Well, I for one am truly staggered – if this decision actually works out then RM and DC should do the lottery every week because they are very lucky men indeed.

This is desperation not inspiration.

Spin, spin and more spin.

What has happened to our club? After seven straight years in the top flight we can no longer afford to appoint a new manager AND buy a few players?

We’re as good as down now I fear.

A poor squad, as it stands, and a manager who has been appointed after failing to win a single league game in eight attempts.

You notice there is no word as to the length of Parkinson’s contract??? No transparency there….

Thank you Alan Curbishley for the golden years. Without your talents, we would never have experienced those times.

We’ll have to hope they live long in the memory.
  • Options
    Total Joke. Why didn't they just give him the job in the first instance. If it was because they wanted to see if he could prove himself as Caretaker manager he has quite obviously failed. I just don't understand the pissing about that has gone since Pardew was sacked. As for financial reasons that is so short sighted it is painful...it will cost the club a heck of a lot more in lost revenue in League 1 next year.
  • Options
    so he's failed in eight games as caretaker boss so now we are giving him the opportunity to fail as the real thing. With two of his signings so far being Gillespie and Burton I am dreading what he is going to offer up next. I feel extremely let down over this. We are a laughing stock. League 1 is hurtling towards us like an unstoppable juggernaut.
  • Options
    F*** it!
  • Options
    I feel I could cry at the news!
  • Options
    "........................................
    ...And A Happy New Yeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! "
  • Options
    It has been suggested that pros don't play for caretakers (never harmed Tony Parkes at Blackburn though) so, says he looking for a silver lining, could ending the uncertainty be construed as a good thing?
  • Options
    Blimey im staggered.

If someone had said 5 years ago that you would hear a chant of sack the board at The Valley you would have been laughed out of sight.

Im not so sure now. Although before I get lynched, the above is not my personal opinion.

If the bloke can only get a few points out of winnable matches like Derby, Coventry, Southampton and QPR at home what is he gonna get at Reading and Wolves.

What has happened to my club.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I posted this on a thread further down...

'One thing I will say is that Richard Murray’s next public statement will be one of the most important he has made since joining the Board. If Parkinson is retained and some justification is put on this, other than that the Board simply cannot afford to sack him, then I think the relationship between directors and supporters will suffer a huge blow.'

Well, now, I've sadly lost it with the Board and the sooner they are ousted the better. There is no justifiable way at all Parkinson should have been appointed permanently. I am actually struggling for a more mind numbingly short-sighted decision by our directors in recent memory.

If only Zabeel had signed the deal. At least RM would have bowed out with dignity but this is pretty hard to take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Phil. They have appointed him for life in div 1 as he knows the league.

Right Im leaving now from work and getting wrecked at a fancy dress party tonight dressed as dorothy from the wizard of oz.

Happy new year and up the addicks !!
  • Options
    Parky himself is talking about us having a "fighting chance" of staying up. He seems to have accepted the inevitable.
    Out with a whimper.
  • Options
    Don't forget Toto.
  • Options
    oh dear is all i can say :o( we are coming down....
  • Options
    Great news for Billy Davis and Forest.
    Just 2 places in this league to fight against.
    Still, lots more cup games to look forward to.......
  • Options
    Looks like we're going on a League 1 tour, lads.
  • Options
    Not surprised, hopefully he brings in the right players and gets rid of some of the players we don't need.
  • Options
    Surely no one is suprised by this are they?

There is no knight in shining armour.There never was.
    We havn't got a pot to piss in so where's the sense in throwing the little we have at another cheap underperforming manager.
    Reality check.The good times are gone.Wont be back for a long time.Time to lower our expectations people.

Or fcuk off and support someone else i suppose ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    as I said elsewhere its quite possible that no-one of any calibre was willing to take the job on the terms offered, wages, short contract, and limited funds. Without knowing the alternatives it is difficult to judge this at present.

Parky hasn't yet shown himself to be as poor as Pardew however that doesn't mean he is any better.

With the squad as decimated as it has been by gambles on non-league, and over priced lower league players, the Board's decisiojn to sell key players such as bougherra, Reid and Iwelumo, while providing limited funds to relpace them - I doubt there are many managers who could turn it around.

I think more than likely this is a decision to do the best within our finances and possibly get us promoted from league 1 - unless we have some inspirational purchases in the window I doubt we will win another game this season.

I'd love the board to wave its magic wand and bring some big money in, but on the surface they don't appear to have it. I can't imagine anyone would be willing to let their asset depreciate in value due to their inaction and lack of investment - after all the sale price has surely dropped throught the floor now.

R
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry but we are down.....a new manager would have livened the place up. I honestly think the board have accepted the inevitable. Absolute joke......I was hoping/dreaming of a Curbs comeback. RM and co you got this one wrong as well as a few others lately.....sad day
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!