Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Those needing a football fix on NY Day.....

Welling v Bromley

Comments

• Options
    They played them on Boxing Day though.

Why so close together?
  • Options
    always the case non-league, you play your biggest / nearest game at the times expected to attract the best crowds / least travelling.
  • Options
    My eldest boy will be there. There again he is very much a rare breed - a Welling United season ticket holder.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]My eldest boy will be there. There again he is very much a rare breed - a Welling United season ticket holder.

In 5 years time you'll be writing, "There again he is very much a rare breed - a Charlton season ticket holder."

;o)
  • Options
    Will be there. A certain West Ham fan will also be in attendance. 2pm in the Guy Earl.
  • Options
    What, Ketman?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]My eldest boy will be there. There again he is very much a rare breed - a Welling United season ticket holder.

In 5 years time you'll be writing, "There again he is very much a rare breed - a Charlton season ticket holder."

;o)

sadly too true Oggy
  • Options
    My mate is on the line for that one. I was out with him at Ramsgate v Margate on the line last Saturday.
  • Options
    Yep, definately in Clem.

See you in the Guy
  • Options
    Darts for me today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dan - I might see you in the Guy if i can escape from the in laws!!
  • Options
    Nice one
  • Options
    A healthy Lifer contingent in a crowd of 1,255 saw Welling take control throughout and roll out 3-1 winners. MoM was the Bromley No5 who had a shocker, took dogs abuse, but kept smiling throughout.

A smaller lifer contingent carried on the celebrations in the pub after, and the dregs of the Lifer contingent got frustrated when the pub closed at half past silly o clock.

All in all a good day at football, and a small reminder of what it was like when a team won a game !
  • Options
    Heh, I would have popped into the pub after to join you but I was frozen solid on that terrace! Was a good game, Welling are looking like a tidy team at the mo. Lots of good terrace banter too - ah, remember when football was fun?
  • Options
    Brass monkeys, but a really enjoyable afternoon. I thought Welling looked useful, although Bromley never got going. As AFKA said the Bromley no 5 had a 'mare. I also liked the way the Bromley keeper got stacks of abuse but at the end of the game he clapped the Welling fans and they clapped him - football as it should be..........
  • Options
    Sorry-you've lost me.

Football - winning - fun ?

3 words that shouldn't/couldn't appear together.
  • Options
    I know, i'm still in shock !!
  • Options
    How many Bromley fans were there?
  • Options
    couple of hundred i would say
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohahhmortimer[/cite]More than we'd take
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took my eldest boy whose 8 and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not once did he say "what time we going?", unlike down The Valley . . . :o(

Bromley brought a good support. More than we took to Sheff Utd??
  • Options

My son tells me that Sherringham Junior now has 16 goals to his name this season. As we need another paceless forward might I suggest...........
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Palace Reject.....Palace Reject.....

In all seriousness there are some similarities between him and his old man.

His 2nd and Wellings 3rd was a cracking strike. One touch and in the top corner. I'm pretty sure he learnt how to snatch the ball from a team mate when you want to take a penalty from his old man as well.

As has previously been said on this thread, the bloke marking him had the biggest of 'mares, he did seem to think it was all a good laugh though!.

Sheringham will probably work his way back up through the leagues. He'll get a Conference club sooner rather than later. Not sure how old he is, but he looks a bit light-weight at the moment.

Also must mention the Bromley goalkeeper - he looked like a cross between Raimond Van Der Gouw's love child and Spawny Get from Viz. Took a lot of abuse but was big enough to clap the Wings fans at the end.

Not sure if there are any Bromley fans on here, but I think they have a very long second half of the season ahead.

Warmed my heart to see Mark Goldberg resplendent in his Club Tracksuit, standing infront of the away dugout in the old main stand looking as clueless as ever.
  • Options
    I missed the third as i was queueing for a dog burger....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I missed the third as i was queueing for a dog burger....

I do hope that there have been no side effects today from the experience.
  • Options
    John Beck was there scouting for Histon.

He was dressed like a down and out!

Sheringhams 3rd goal was one of the best I've seen down there.

He doesn't have the pace or strength to go higher than Comference level but does have an excellent touch and awareness like his old man.

Welling have some good young players down there and it was worth the visit.
  • Options
    only frustration.

Having queued for ten minutes, i was then told they were out of burgers and i would have to wait another ten mins while the frozen ones thawed out.

I had a bacon and processed cheese roll instead. 3/10
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Having queued for ten minutes, i was then told they were out of burgers and i would have to wait another ten mins while the frozen ones thawed out.

frozen burgers or frozen punters?

It was interesting keeping an ear out for the conversations around me. A couple of fellas behind me were either scouts or agents or something, chatting away about various players and how they know Shaun Wright-Phillips' mum in Lewisham; one then stopped one of the Bromley subs and started asking him where he played and who he'd played for before (striker, had been on our books and West Ham, light-skinned black guy) and how his mum was (!). I'm sure I'd come across one of them before, in a sports shop in Kentish Town, chatting away about Welling and other London non-league sides. It's such a soppy cliche to say it, but it was refreshing to see that kind of business going on out in the open, as well as hearing the Welling keeper eff and jeff at his defence and the linesman get every bit of stick imaginable!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohahhmortimer[/cite]More than we'd take

i only have to think things now and they appear in print ;-)