Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Standing at gigs

edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
I went to the Indigo last week to The Who gig and really pleased that I had a floor ticket which meant I could stand up and really get into the music. At previousWho gigs my tickets have been somewhere up in the gods and makes it more difficult to get into the music sitting down. But after a while the music gets me up off my seat to play either (air) lead guitar, bass or the drums or all three at once only to be met with “Oi would you seat down”. My response is “this is a who gig not f*cking Pink Floyd” but this normally causes bad feeling for the rest of the gig, and being a considerate person I try and constrain myself. But this of course ruins my night of seeing one of the world’s best rock n roll bands.

Anyway back to the Indigo, thinking that everyone on the ground floor would be up for it and then…..the people behind we kept asking me to put my arms down as they couldn’t see? I looked behind me and there was a woman of about 4’6”in height (a bit taller than AFKA Bartram). I kind of looked quizzical at her thinking (a) it’s the Who (and not f*cking Pink Floyd) and (b) why did she choose to stand behind someone who is 6’ tall and obvously drunk and really into the music? And then another person asked me again.Why couldn’t they just f*cking move or get a ticket in the stand?

It’s really putting me off going to gigs now (next one is in the AC/DC gig in the 02).

Is it todays (and not my my my) generation? or should I ban myself from going to anymore gigs?

Solid (whispering) gone

Comments

• Options
    I had a total a-hole, who was about 6'4", and his 2 pals barge through me and stand 6" in front of me at a Paul Weller gig at Brixton. It was about 2 songs in, so was a liberty so I asked him politely to shift and he tried to put it on me.

I recognised this twonk as a NOTW journo and one of those no-marks who always pops up as a talking head on those 'Top 50 greatest' type programmes.

I'd had had a few cold drinks too and let it pass for a few songs.

I then felt the need to go to the loo but couldn't be bothered to walk to the toilet. . . . .

I made my excuses and left. . . .
  • Options
    A mate of mine was chucked out at a Coldplay gig last week for " enjoying himself too much"

i did him that it was coldplay and probably evreyone was supposed to be miserable - also he is someone you don't want to mess with being over 6ft 4 tall - sits in upper west so you may see him getting slung out on Friday if we win !
  • Options
    About ten years ago now I was at a hardcore gig at the Astoria (Life Of Agony supporting some shitty main act whose name escapes me). The girl I was going out with at the time wasn't a big hardcore fan (more of a metaller) but was getting into the show when this stupid great plonk of a man came and stood right in front of her (she was average height, he was about 6'3-6'4). When she asked him to move, he thought it was funny to tell her to "fuck off" and laugh about it, at length with his mates.

I was considering waiting for him outside to give him a slap (which would have obviously ended up with me getting my shwede kicked in as there were about five of them, all much bigger than me) but sometimes fortune smiles on you. He decided to get into the pit towards the end of their set but whether he wasn't familiar with what a hardcore pit was like or not I don't know - because he took an absolute f***ing pasting - with me delivering the coup de grace of a nice, solid heed to the nose, splitting it across what remained of his mooey. Twat.
  • Options
    Moshing ain't for me man!! It's been tame at the last few gigs I've been to but I saw a load of nutters at a Primal Scream gig (I know) leathering each other me and my mate Phil the pill got a f*cking hiding!! Neither of us are small blokes either, had a great time but a lot of people who fancied the look of it had second thoughts before I did and still got a few clumps.

Standing is fine, not a lot you can do if you get an arsewipe who won't move if they are massive and you are short unless you fancy scrapping and possibly ruining the night. I cannot abide blokes who mince about getting to the front only to hoist a bird on their shoulders right in front of you. Fair one if your further back where its a bit more spread out. Had a dirty row with a couple of blokes and girls at Wembley arena for Oasis doing this a couple of months ago about 20 feet from the front bang in front of me and a mate! What the f*ck!! They got down, the bloke told me to f*ck off and so I diplomatically reasoned with him that I would drag his divvy bird of his shoulders and fill him in if he didn't get the picture, it ended peacefully but could of got incredibly messy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gets me too, when people want to stay sitting down at gigs, especially if its the main floor thats a seated area. I always view seated tickets as the last resort, when you can't get standing tickets. The only time i've thought otherwise, was after I had major foot surgery & seating was my only option for 18 months. Bloody hard to stand on 1 leg, even with 2 crutches, for an hour & a half! :-)

As regards to standing, I'm 6'3" & if I see someone behind me that is not as tall, & is struggling to see, then I will always let them stand ahead of me. Sod's law for me though, I get the 6'8" buggers standing right in front of me! Haha.

In terms of mosh pit action, especially at hardcore/metal gigs, I'm not into the pounding the shite out of one another(walls of death, circle pits, impressions of the Karate Kid, etc) theory of enjoyment. Each to their own, I just enjoy a good bounce. But those who get into those areas of violence(usually behind the 1st 3-4 standing rows) must be careful, so should navigate their way to the front via the sides.

Funny though, I've always found the 'pits' at indie gigs to be oddly tougher to negotiate than the metal gigs. I saw Suede one night, then Sepultura the next & felt less at ease in the Suede mosh, than the latter.(Blur at Brixton being thoroughly insane, as another example of the indie experiences)

Many a happy night spent watching bands at the Astoria Leroy, such a shame its going soon.:-( I've got to get back their at least one more time,(& always wanted 1 of my bands to play there-sniff). From Faith No More to Machine Head, Skunk Anansie, Mansun, SOAD, Slayer, Deftones, Incubus, the aforementioned(& at that point, just reformed) Life Of Agony & many many more seen there(& thats before we head down to the LA2!:-), such good memories!
  • Options
    Im Always frustrated with people who seem to stand or sit like statues with no outward expression whatsoever, gigs r definatley a two way thing. My girlfriend managed to get into a fight with a guy who was a total t pot at a bjork gig, pushed in right in front then determined to elbow everyone in sight. Gigs are for enjoyin from simply noddin heads to dancin widly , but not for taking aggression out on everyone around you..
  • Options
    The thing that pisses me off more than anything else at gigs is people talking loudly during a quiet or acoustic set.

I remember one at the Barbican where I had to listen to somebody two rows behind recount their day at work during the middle of a set, they were told to shut the feck up in no umcertain terms by my Missus! Poor buggers didn't know what had hit them.........she even fot a round of applause from those around us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite] My girlfriend managed to get into a fight with a guy who was a total t pot at a bjork gig,

A total t pot at a Bjork gig... get away... LOL
  • Options
    yep talking loudly in acoustic sets totally pisses me off too Oakster. Please take your missus to as many gigs as possible the message might get around.especially when its annoying mundane chat. David sylvian get are brilliant in then everyones as quiet as a mouse, its thouroughly annoyed me to find out about his palace roots, tainted genuis.
  • Options
    solidgone. as great as the who are. people who go to there gigs tend to be winding down in life mate and would rather sit and chillax! Like at charlton lol.

The last gig i went to was the foo fighters at wembley and i couldnt move my neck for 3 days. but i wouldnt have gone unless i knew they were standing tickets. sitting down at a rock concert is just pointless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With you on the indie gigs being madder than metal.

Attended a fair few hardcore/thrash gigs in my distant youth and as much as they were lively they never quite hit the real loony mosh pit heights.

Having said that I once had back to back metal nights at the old marquee - Lawnmower Death - there was actually a queue to stage dive!!! More people on the stage than in the mosh pit that night!. Followed by napalm death (dear oh dear) that was insane.

My all time mad moshpit is definitely The Meteors at the Venue circa 1991. Wasn't a particularly big pit but 20-30 hardcore Teds knocked the shit out of each other for an hour or so - stayed well out of it.

The Venue used to be such a good place for bands. Remember some awesome gigs there. Mudhoney, Oasis, Carter USM, New Model Army, Silverfish etc etc.....was anyone else an attendee back in the very early 90s?.
  • Options
    "The Venue used to be such a good place for bands. Remember some awesome gigs there. Mudhoney, Oasis, Carter USM, New Model Army, Silverfish etc etc.....was anyone else an attendee back in the very early 90s?."

Saw Carter there in 91 (I think) It was chaos!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]With you on the indie gigs being madder than metal.

Attended a fair few hardcore/thrash gigs in my distant youth and as much as they were lively they never quite hit the real loony mosh pit heights.

Having said that I once had back to back metal nights at the old marquee - Lawnmower Death - there was actually a queue to stage dive!!! More people on the stage than in the mosh pit that night!. Followed by napalm death (dear oh dear) that was insane.

My all time mad moshpit is definitely The Meteors at the Venue circa 1991. Wasn't a particularly big pit but 20-30 hardcore Teds knocked the shit out of each other for an hour or so - stayed well out of it.

The Venue used to be such a good place for bands. Remember some awesome gigs there. Mudhoney, Oasis, Carter USM, New Model Army, Silverfish etc etc.....was anyone else an attendee back in the very early 90s?.

It all started with The Meteors as far as I am concerned, first time I saw them at the Hope & Anchor in Islington about 1981 it was chaos, couldn't believe it. Loved every minute!
  • Options
    Carter used to play there atleast once a year. Usually under the assumed name "RSVP". Your right they were utter chaos. Seem to recall for big gigs they used to try and section off the stage with a crush barrier, all that did was make people jump further when they went for a dive!. I am certain the 1991 gig was the night we got back stage and shared a can of special brew with John Fat Beast. What a legend he was.

The place must have held 800-1000 not sure why so many bands played under assumed names. New Model Army played there as Raw Melody Men, Mudhoney as Superfuzz and I'm certain Chumbawamba (before they charted and became utter shite) played there as Working With Tomatoes.
  • Options
    It all started with The Meteors as far as I am concerned, first time I saw them at the Hope & Anchor in Islington about 1981 it was chaos, couldn't believe it. Loved every minute!

Even though I had drunk about 10 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale before they came on, I still remember being genuinely scared. They covered these boots were made for walking and were actually stomping (skinhead style) anyone that went down!.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]It all started with The Meteors as far as I am concerned, first time I saw them at the Hope & Anchor in Islington about 1981 it was chaos, couldn't believe it. Loved every minute!

Even though I had drunk about 10 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale before they came on, I still remember being genuinely scared. They covered these boots were made for walking and were actually stomping (skinhead style) anyone that went down!.

In the early days if someone went down, the others picked them up and then threw them back in the pit!
  • Options
    "shared a can of special brew with John Fat Beast"

John Fat Beast, what a legend.

Bumped into him in the Spice of Life at Cambridge Circus before a Natural Life gig at the marquee
  • Options
    Saw The Stranglers eight times on their recent tour- Shepherds Bush Empire was excellent except that on the first of the two nights they played there, forty punters had their phones/wallets nicked during the gig- I tend to get to the gig early, get to the front but off slightly to a side and drape my jacket over the barrier with all my bits in my zipped pockets so
    A- no one can nick anything from out of it and
    B- I can lean on it.

It seems to work for me. Saw The Damned twice this month on their tour and The Rezillos which was at a venue so small, I spent most of the evening being pushed into Eugene, the male lead vocalist
  • Options
    I got a Doc Martin in the boat at a Faith No More gig at Brixton back in the day. That was a mad night, but it totally ruined it for me and I left early with a headache that lasted for about a week.

Also went under once at the Town & Country Club and got trampled to bits. Couldn't walk for a couple of days after.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]sitting down at a rock concert is just pointless.

Heh, true enough, sitting at Metallica at Wembley was almost painfull.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After standing at a Right Said Fred Concert I couldn't sit down for weeks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I got a Doc Martin in the boat at a Faith No More gig at Brixton back in the day. That was a mad night, but it totally ruined it for me and I left early with a headache that lasted for about a week.

Also went under once at the Town & Country Club and got trampled to bits. Couldn't walk for a couple of days after.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers!
    And if it was the time they played three nights in a row on the Angel Dust tour you missed the best gigs in history! I went to all three - including the legendary one where Patton drank piss out of a trainer and got one of the Top Guard bouncers in a headlock & dragged him round the stage... Deary me he was a nutnut.

Seem to remember Sepulturta at the Amersham Arms (how insane was that?) being a bit naughty too - largely because 1200 people tried to squeeze into a venue ratified for 300...

As for the Venue back in the day, I remember seeing Godflesh support Prong there (awesome gig) - I broke my nose 30 seconds into Godflesh's set and carried on in the pit like nothing had happened - the next day it swelled up to the size of a tennis ball and I couldn't breathe out of it for a month - had to have it re-set and still got a deviated septum as a result. Happy days :)
  • Options
    Went to the first night of the Angel Dust tour at Brixton. Patton was a true maniac. One of my best gig memories was the whole placing singing along to War Pigs. Check out youtube, there are loads of clips of those brixton gigs.

The venue is was always good for broken bones. Broke my wrist in the old Star Bar (top floor) and carried on like nothing had happened.

Next day was not good.

Was back the following Friday moshing along to the Silverfish. There were people jumping from the balcony overlooking the main stage that night!.

Could be quite a good add to the thread actually - what is the madest thing you have ever seen at a gig? I'll start it now.