Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premiership Years 1998-1999 Season

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Did anyone see this on Sky Sports last night?

That game against Aston Villa the second to last weekend - John Robinson looking like he was going to cry at his goal - Clive Mendonca, well just doing what he did best! Danny Mills free kick to give us survival for one more week. the Passion the Urgency the Fight, that is all we are after as fans. If we were to get even a little bit of all that back we could pull ourselves out of this hole.

:o)

Comments

• what we'd give fro a Clive Mendonca/ jonny robinson now.

Money couldn't buy those 2 for us at the moment.

LEGENDS
  • edited December 2008
    Andy Hunt, Chris Powell, Mark Kinsella, Keith Jones, Richard Rufus, Eddie Youds, Steve Brown even Steve Jones....the list goes on, they were Charlton players, sweating blood for the shirt and the club. We weren't quite good enough to stay up that season but the players got nothing other than a standing ovation after the defeat against Sheffield Wednesday as they gave everything they had. As has been mentioned before nothing could be further from the truth about the current crop which is desperately tragic.
  • edited December 2008
    Agreed tenfold, these players had spirit,balls,effort,determination,pride in the shirt(Mendonca had the sublime class) and always gave everything they had for Charlton Athletic,they got the support and applause of the fans because they gave us everything they had and thoroughly deserved it, those players made me very proud to support the club I love.
    I remember leaving The Valley after Man U had beaten us with a flukey late winner feeling proud of the way this collection of players had matched the best club in Europe (I have never felt so good after such an undeserved defeat!)We may have got relegated that year but we could hold our heads high, as we well know we bounced back in style but these are the players who put Charlton Athletic firmly back on the footballing map and I for one will forever recall their names with fondness.
    I am struggling to find anything positive about the current crop that are masquarading as Charlton players and that for me is the tragedy.
  • Last time we bounced back better and stronger after winning the league. I very much doubt if we went down we'd come straight back up, there'd be another shuffle around of the squad to prepare for life in the third tier. It's a different breed of player now. We need to get fresh blood, committed to keeping us up, in next month and give the loanees back to their parent clubs.
  • hard to believe that was ten years ago.....
  • Agreed 100% That spirit is in short measure now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]Agreed 100% That spirit is in short measure now.

It's not there at all mate
  • Matty is though ;o)
  • That team was not only about spirit it was built over a substantial period of time, not constantly turning over players and managers at a high rate like we have done in the past 3 years.
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]That team was not only about spirit it was built over a substantial period of time, not constantly turning over players and managers at a high rate like we have done in the past 3 years.

Yeah it was more than just about that team having grit, pride and passion etc.

They grew as a team, players came in to improve the team and they had the right personalities and style of play like Powell and Stuart.

We had reliable players that you knew what you'd get from them, rather than promising players that might be good if they find the consistency, thrown in with several loanees at the club for different reasons.

We had players that made the most of their ability, they didn't lose concentration easily or lose confidence soon as they made a mistake or conceded a goal. They had confidence and belief in their own and the teams ability.

We had a more balanced squad and lineup, a midfield that could defend and attack, strikers that could score goals.

We knew our best 11, in 98/99 we started the season with the squad numbers 1-11 actually being our best 11. Whenever a thread comes up about the lineup for the next match, there are so many ideas and suggestions.

Last few years we've signed a huge number of players, and used even more when you add the players already at the club and youngsters coming through.
  • Sponsored links:

• dont do it to yourselves it is all to fresh in your memory that will nly make it worse
  • They were proud times to be a Charlton fan - I really hope we can get close to feeling that proud again.
  • I was there at Newcastle for the first ever Premiership match and only missed 4 games in the whole season. Line up that day:

1. Ilic, 2. Mills, 3. Powell, 4. Redfearn, 5. Rufus, 6. Youds, 7. Newton, 8. Kinsella, 9. Hunt, 10. Mendonca, 11. Robinson. Subs: 12. Brown, 13. Petterson, 15. K Jones, 16. Mortimer, 19. S Jones.

Happy days!!!
  • On SS4 right now. Super Clive v Southampton. What a player.
  • That was some line up we had, such a shame Mendonca and Hunt had career ending injuries- both could have done a job in the top flight imho.
  • I tell you what I'd like to see , Johny Robinson at the club in some capacity. Man that guy cared.

I remember when he got brought on in the Leeds game when we were 6-1 down and gave El Khalej a right earful
  • [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]I was there at Newcastle for the first ever Premiership match and only missed 4 games in the whole season. Line up that day:

1. Ilic, 2. Mills, 3. Powell, 4. Redfearn, 5. Rufus, 6. Youds, 7. Newton, 8. Kinsella, 9. Hunt, 10. Mendonca, 11. Robinson. Subs: 12. Brown, 13. Petterson, 15. K Jones, 16. Mortimer, 19. S Jones.

Happy days!!!

Possibly the last time a premiership side lined up with shirt numbers 1 to 11.
  • First choice XI, no injuries ......

and Rufus sent off in the 1st half. 0-0 draw, though!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I tell you what I'd like to see , Johny Robinson at the club in some capacity. Man that guy cared.

I remember when he got brought on in the Leeds game when we were 6-1 down and gave El Khalej a right earful[/quote]

A friend of mine is good pals with Robbo,he is doing well for himself,last time I spoke to my mate, Robbo was off to the States to do some coaching,before that he was coaching at a private school down Brighton/Lewes way. My pal said to Robbo that he knew a Charlton mad fan and he took him out to his garage where there was mountains of footy memorabilia(sp) and said to him "pick something out for your mate". I am the proud owner of Robbos framed Charlton shirt from an FA Cup tie away to Liverpool which we lost 2-1,its signed by all the Liverpool players,Ian Rush etc,its hanging in my sons bedroom. Robbo = Legend,FACT!
  • Shame he never turns up for City Addicks eh Curb_it?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Redvalleyeast[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I tell you what I'd like to see , Johny Robinson at the club in some capacity. Man that guy cared.

I remember when he got brought on in the Leeds game when we were 6-1 down and gave El Khalej a right earful

A friend of mine is good pals with Robbo,he is doing well for himself,last time I spoke to my mate, Robbo was off to the States to do some coaching,before that he was coaching at a private school down Brighton/Lewes way. My pal said to Robbo that he knew a Charlton mad fan and he took him out to his garage where there was mountains of footy memorabilia(sp) and said to him "pick something out for your mate". I am the proud owner of Robbos framed Charlton shirt from an FA Cup tie away to Liverpool which we lost 2-1,its signed by all the Liverpool players,Ian Rush etc,its hanging in my sons bedroom. Robbo = Legend,FACT!

what a great story and what a great bloke!
  • He came in Floyd's Bar a couple of years back with a bunch of other Charlton vets - really nice bloke.
  • Didnt he once give some supporters a lift home down to Brighton after their car broke down round the corner from the valley ?
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]I was there at Newcastle for the first ever Premiership match and only missed 4 games in the whole season. Line up that day:

Happy days!!!

would've been 1-16 with subs apart from no 14.
    who had squad no 14 then?
  • Got a feeling it was Mark Bowen?
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]I was there at Newcastle for the first ever Premiership match and only missed 4 games in the whole season. Line up that day:

Happy days!!!

would've been 1-16 with subs apart from no 14.
    who had squad no 14 then?
    Mark Bowen, click that for the full squad list.
  • edited April 2010
    Wonder what happened to some of the names lower down that squad list, is the Paul Smith keeper the one now at Forest?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Shame he never turns up for City Addicks eh Curb_it?

Yes WSS - my opinion os him has changed slightly since he let us down on two occasions at the very last minute.

Hope he turns up to his coaching session...!
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Wonder what happened to some of the names lower down that squad list, is the Paul Smith keeper the one now at Forest?
    Yes he is actually. Kevin James was at Forest and Gillingham for a bit, now in non-league from the looks of it. Don't think the other young players on there went on to do much at all.