Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard I - RIP?

edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
It is with great sadness that I have to report on the likely sad demise of one of the greatest hidden gem watering holes in South East London.

The Richard I pub in Greenwich is currently undergoing a "refurbishment". Anyone who knows and appreciates this bastion of south east london pubdom will no doubt be horrified to know that you now need to wear shades at the bar to shield your eyes from the glare of the lights, the place now sports an olive green interior and the khazis - which admitedly were on the shabby side - now look like they belong in Beyonce's en suite!

Oh yeah, the bird behind the bar on seeing our faces when we walked in said that we weren't to worry because, "it will look better once the carpet is laid and the comfy sofas arrive" - I shit you not.

I can take Charlton losing and being bob as I am well used to that by now - but don't be fucking with one of my favourite pubs.

A truly bad day.

Comments

• Options
    20-odd people on line and all you want to talk about is yet another shite Charlton performance whilst one of south london's finest is taken from us?

Shame on you all!
  • Options
    I liked The Tolly as it was known - nice drop of Youngs- but not been there in many, many years...
  • Options
    Crikey. The Richard I always felt like a badly-managed pub to me (overpriced and with staff with no interest in the place) but the ales were ace - it'd be a tragedy if some Youngs head office tosser has decreed it should try to compete with the Union next door (whose beers I love but whose staff are either diamonds or dogshit). The Albert, slightly further along, is a bit of a treasure, though. Will have a wander along to investigate... soon, hopefully ;-)
  • Options
    Didn't realise the pub next to the Union was the pub you're talking about. Only went in there once. Preferred the Union. Still, not really a big fan of "modernising" pubs like that. That place always looked busy anyway.
  • Options
    I used to work in this pub, nice beer and some alright people working there, some arseholes aswell. I can imagine its gonne be a right shit poncy greenwich pub now, probably look like the inside of the auctioneer after its "glamorous refurbishment".
  • Options
    Hearing this just made a bad day worse. As well as the beer, the attraction of this place was that it was a "pub" and not some poncified hotel lounge type drinker. I blame Pardew.
  • Options
    When we walked in the bird behind the ramp asked us what we thought. I just said I thought it was awful. I want my pub & my Charlton back.
  • Options
    I like the Albert, last proper pub in that area
  • Options
    Beer garden is massive too, I forget why its called the Tolly something to do with a previous name I think. I don't miss the fox and hounds though (now the Union)

The Barley Mow also 'murdered' bottom of Point Hill where I grew up.

Nearby the Dairy has also gone, and Burney Street (I remember huge fireworks and bonfire nights there when it was a bombsite in the 70s/80s, it then became the Burney Street garden made by us locals, my step dad did the barbecue for a fund raiser way back when. Then some bright spark developed the land and built an old people's home over most of it.
  • Options
    I do like 'The Hill' good food in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was called the Tolly because it was once owned by the Ipswich brewers Tolly Cobbold.I used to drink in there when John and Vera ran the place in the seventies.I was in town a few months back and popped in for a pint.Sad to see its gone down the tube.
  • Options
    The 'History of Young's Pubs' describes it as a 'charming two bar local'. Seems it was formed of two shops, one selling beer, the other sweets,knocked together around 1922 by Tollemache and Cobbold, the Ipswich brewers. It was originally called 'Ye Olde House' and bought by Youngs in 1974. Strange, Youngs are usually sympathetic in their 'improvements'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]The 'History of Young's Pubs' describes it as a 'charming two bar local'. Seems it was formed of two shops, one selling beer, the other sweets,knocked together around 1922 by Tollemache and Cobbold, the Ipswich brewers. It was originally called 'Ye Olde House' and bought by Youngs in 1974. Strange, Youngs are usually sympathetic in their 'improvements'.

I hope you're right mate - but the intial signs are very worrying to me!

It needed a spruce up, but olive green walls, "comfy sofas" and a bling khazi?!
  • Options
    Doesn't sound good does it O. Might be to do with Youngs moving out of London and losing touch with their regulars or more likely the marketing men are on the case.
  • Options
    The soul went out of Youngs when they retired the shire horses from the local round in Wandsworth.

Yes the horsedrawn delivery was largely symbolic but it defined the ethos of an independent brewer of traditional beers.
  • Options
    Worse than that Len. I'm sure they used to promote the fact that the water they used in their brewing process was drawn from their own well on the brewery site and it was this that gave their product it's unique quality - or some guff like that.

Then when they flogged off the brewery site and upped sticks to Northamptopn - or wherever - they come out and say that the quality of the product will not be affected by the change in water source.

Alas, both statements cannot be true!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Unfortunately "Youngs" does not exisit anymore. This ridiculous revamping of their old pubs is happening all over London.

On the plus side the Park Tavern in Passey Place, Eltham goes from strength to strength and the Dacres is still the best pub in the world.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    On the plus side the Park Tavern in Passey Place, Eltham goes from strength to strength and the Dacres is still the best pub in the world.

Despite living in SE13 and SE9 all of my life I've never been to either of these - and I'm buggered if I know why. I even went out with a bird who lived right by the Dacre Arms about 8 years back but never went in.

You recommend both then Chirpy?

EDIT: have just changed the number of years - in case my missus is watching!
  • Options
    Indeed I do fella.

Dacre's solid old boozer.

Park Tavern - The Middle Class of Eltham finally reclaiming an Eltham Pub!
  • Options
    do like Park Tavern.

Chirpy do you know what time it is open on christmas eve afternoon till?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we went on a long walk from ours to greenwich via the backstreets manor lane/manor park/old road/belmont/lee terrace etc etc to find the dacre arms, but couldn't find it. very thirsty when we got to blackheath.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]do like Park Tavern.

[ null[/img]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]do like Park Tavern.

Chirpy do you know what time it is open on christmas eve afternoon till?

Not off hand but if I go in there soon I'll find out.

I'll be drinking in The Bell Inn, Waalberswick on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    Is it open Christmas Day do you know Chirps ?

And top boozer the bell at Walberswick , lovely
  • Options
    sorry to change topic afka but i know its not an important one so am sure you wont mind. tho off it might see it differently.

Walsberwick? that sounds nice. dont know but just googled it? going there for long?

we have booked a cottage in the peak district for new year. cant wait
  • Options
    Does anyone recall the old sweet shop not far from the Richard I on Royal Hill - now a residential dwelling - owned by a certain 'Grumpy' Harris? Traditional type with glass bottles of sweets etc.

He appeared to hate kids but ran a sweetshop and was also a scout master..

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]sorry to change topic afka but i know its not an important one so am sure you wont mind. tho off it might see it differently.

Walsberwick? that sounds nice. dont know but just googled it? going there for long?

we have booked a cottage in the peak district for new year. cant wait

A week from 20th, Mrs Chirps 40th on Boxing Day, my sister has a house there and we are staying there.
    Quintisential English village, Church, shop, Village Greem, two pubs very Midsomer Murder/Shillingbury Tales.
    Full of UPL's though and posh rich ones too with kids called Will,Josh and Jemima.
  • Options
    The board now has only one member of the Young 's family on it and he's not much cop: the rest of 'em are money men. Nuff said.