Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oliver Postgate RIP

An absolute genius gone.

Comments

• Options
    A sad day. He must of been on some good stuff when he wrote the clangers. What was that all about?
  • Options
    A sad day. He must of been on some good stuff when he wrote the clangers. What was that all about?
  • Options
    You can say that again...oh sorry you just did!!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2008
    Ivor the Engine, Pogles Wood, Noggin the Nog. Classic TV - Will be sadly missed
  • Options
    Noggin the Nog ---- great name----------- makes you go blind though.
  • Options
    Absolutely classic childrens TV-

RIP
  • Options
    Agreed.

He had great foresight naming 'The Clangers' after Nicky Weaver.
  • Options
    I suspect many of us on here grew up watching the creations of Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin. Pure Children's TV gold. R5L just finished the breakfast show by re-running an interview they did with Oliver back in April. Just to hear the voice sent me back years.

Today's a very sad day indeed. RIP Mr Postgate.

"Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss. Old Fat Furry Catpuss. Wake up and look at this thing that I bring. Wake up, be bright, be golden and light. Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing."
  • Options
    A very sad loss, he said such a great story telling voice. I'm not ashamed to say I have the entire collection of Bagpuss and The Clangers on DVD that I plan to show to any future kids I have, such is the lack of quality we seem to have with kids programmes these days.
  • Options
    The Clangers was scripted in English then "spoken" through a whistle, he allegedly once got into trouble for whistling "Oh sod it, we can't fix it".
    RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As you say a great story telling voice, as did Johny Morris.

Klangers would be banned now some twat would say it ws disrepectful too the soup dragon which is an icon of a trib in the back ofnowhereville.
  • Options
    A true unsung hero, up there with the likes of Johnny Morris and my favourite, Brian Cant (Trumpton, Camberwick Green and Chigley) The thing they all had in common?- Story telling at its best. Two down-one to go.
  • Options
    Kids tv hasn't been the same since people like Oliver and \brian Cant stopped working.

RIP Oliver, gone but always a place in my heart. Thanks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Noggin the Nog ---- great name
    makes you go blind though.

You can still get arrested for Muffin The Mule
  • Options
    I heard it was for Noggin' the Nog!
  • Options
    bagpusssm.jpg
  • Options
    My kids were brought up with Oliver Postgate's characters and we too have them on DVD, hopefully for grandkids sometime. I was a Muffin man myself along with Larry the Lamb, Toytown, Whirlygig, P.C 49, Billy Cotton, 2-way Family Favourites, Jimmy Clitheroe, Charlton in Div.1: all was right with the world.RIP, OP.
  • Options
    I thought his stuff was childish ;o)
  • Options
    RIP, anyone konow if there's a TV tribute scheduled?
  • Options
    What, exactly, is a "Nog" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some stuff from a B3ta challenge topic to celebrate Postgate's work. (cue it being deleted)

OliverPostgate.jpg

nog.jpg

bagpus.gif.

bagpussclangers.gif

sad_bagpuss.jpg
  • Options
    Wasnt The Nog a dragon
  • Options
    "listen to me and i`ll tell you a tale of Noggin the Nog"-------------makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking of that and just a tad sad.

based on a Norse legend