Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham are a second rate club

Ilunga - Hammers are 'second-rate'
Defender sets sights high

West Ham defender Herita Ilunga has admitted he plans to use the club as a stepping-stone to a bigger team.

Ilunga, who is on a season-long loan from Toulouse, has impressed at Upton Park after establishing himself as a regular in Gianfranco Zola's side.

The left-back has described West Ham as a 'second-rate' club and that he has ambitions of playing at a higher level.

"Without being derogatory, West Ham are a second-rate club," Ilunga is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"Let's not kid ourselves - we are not an Arsenal, Manchester United or Chelsea.

"Once I have proved myself in a team such this, I can hope to make the step up to another club.

"I am keen to continue my adventure in England.

What a player.

EDIT:

It's not meant to be General Charlton

Comments

• Options
    The nasty side of me would like to see this fella take a complete dip in from and be seen turning out for Welling in a few years time ..............
  • Options
    hahaha I think translation has been lost a bit here. can't believe any player really would be this naive.

West Ham fans gonna give it to him big time.
  • Options
    But we've always regarded the Scammers as a second rate club

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]The greatful side of me would like to see this fella take a complete dip in from and be seen turning out for Charlton in a few years time ..............

Another mercenary
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So you've stayed at your first job since you started work?

Never wanted to better yourself?

Never wanted to earn more money?

That bigger house?

The nicer holiday?

Not a dig at you Oggy, but I do think football players get a hard time of it quite a lot for something 99% people do as well.
  • Options
    Clearly West Ham are not at the level of Arsenal etc., he is only being honest and I think what he is saying has been lost a bit in translation!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]The greatful side of me would like to see this fella take a complete dip in from and be seen turning out for Charlton in a few years time ..............

Another mercenary

That bigger house?

The nicer holiday?

Not a dig at you Oggy, but I do think football players get a hard time of it quite a lot for something 99% people do as well.

100% of people - its natural to want more, greed is what drove us out of the trees and into the houses
  • Options
    Don't disagree with the comments above, about wanting to better ones self and have ambition... But i certanly wouldn't be making it public by positing it up on facebook for my boss to read.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Ilunga - Hammers are 'second-rate'
    Defender sets sights high

West Ham defender Herita Ilunga has admitted he plans to use the club as a stepping-stone to a bigger team.

Ilunga, who is on a season-long loan from Toulouse, has impressed at Upton Park after establishing himself as a regular in Gianfranco Zola's side.

The left-back has described West Ham as a 'second-rate' club and that he has ambitions of playing at a higher level.

"Without being derogatory, West Ham are a second-rate club," Ilunga is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"Let's not kid ourselves - we are not an Arsenal, Manchester United or Chelsea.

"Once I have proved myself in a team such this, I can hope to make the step up to another club.

"I am keen to continue my adventure in England.

What a player.

EDIT:

It's not meant to be General Charlton

Its a bit like Andy Jones's comments on us, when he joined from Port Vale in the mid 80's, I think he said in the Guardian that he saw it as a stepping stone to Liverpool, in fact it was a stepping stone to charlton reserves and then Port vale - I think
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Another mercenary

That bigger house?

The nicer holiday?

Well, guess who forgot the Smiley, lol

I'd made exactly the same point in another thread yesterday.
    Nobody seemed to pick up on the fact that I'd 'played' with 1905's original comments - and dressed it to give a Charlton flavour. Serves me right, eh.....?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cant belive players say things like this, didnt the lad Lassane Diaara from pompey say somthing simular when he signed for them last year?
  • Options
    And Dennis Rommedahl
  • Options
    And Jose Semedo
  • Options
    He's right though, West Ham are a feeder club prehaps we should sign some deal with one of the big boys to get us a leg up! Discuss
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Cant belive players say things like this, didnt the lad Lassane Diaara from pompey say somthing simular when he signed for them last year?

Yep, the same Diarra who didn't make it at Arsenal or Chelsea so he's running out of top clubs. He'll probably end up at Spurs or somewhere.

Ilunga's comments remind me of Chimbonda last year, sure i remember him saying he wanted to leave Spurs for somewhere bigger and would go where they paid him the most. A year later, and he's now struggling to get in a Sunderland side looking at relegation!