Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Ball on Waghorn

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
From South Shields Gazette

SUNDERLAND legend Kevin Ball is backing Martyn Waghorn to return to the Stadium of Light as a better player for his loan spell at Charlton.

Boss Roy Keane sent the South Shields-born forward on loan to London to test him after a handful of first-team appearances for the Black Cats.

The 18-year-old forward starred in Sunderland's march to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals last season, one of his seven goals in the competition coming in a quarter-final victory at Charlton.

And as assistant academy manager Ball – who played in the 1992 FA Cup final for Sunderland – sends the club's latest crop of young talent into the FA Youth Cup tonight, he spoke of his confidence that Waghorn's loan could do him the world of good.

Sunderland host little Cirencester Town tonight at the Stadium of Light tonight (7pm) and Ball said: "The gaffer gave Martyn his debut last year and it's great that the manager gives young players a chance.

"Now playing regular first-team games is the next step for Martyn and he's got the chance to do that at Charlton.

"I remember leaving home at 16 or 17, and it was probably the best thing I ever did. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but at the end of it I think it will be great for Martyn.

"When he comes back here I am sure he will be a better player and a more rounded character for his experience at Charlton.

"He's living in London, playing first-team football and working every day with first-team players and it will help Martyn understand what he has to do if he is to achieve his ambition of being a first-teamer here are Sunderland.

"He'll see that you have to be consistent week-in and week-out. You can't afford a dip in form."

Waghorn arrived at The Valley at a time of turmoil. He has made two appearances for the struggling Addicks, who fired manager Alan Pardew 10 days ago.

Ball added: "I haven't spoken to Martyn yet since he went there - although not for the want of trying!

"I will be speaking to him, but I think it is important we give him some space and let him grow up in his own way.

"He probably doesn't want people mithering him all the time, but we will keep in touch every once in a while.

"But it's nice to be able to look and see whether he has been playing and, because there has already been a change there, it will be interesting to see what happens."

Comments

• Options
    What happens now Keane has done one, I take from above that they are happy for him to stay here.
  • Options
    They want us to improve their player for them, of course - but just as importantly, they've sent him here as a boy, and want him to come back a man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA[/cite]Ball added: "I haven't spoken to Martyn yet since he went there - although not for the want of trying!

Sounds like he's out on the piss every night then LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]They want us to improve their player for them, of course - but just as importantly, they've sent him here as a boy, and want him to come back a man.

We're going to get a tart for him before we send him back??
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or let our women loose on him ....?

:o)

Edit:Sorry SE10 - didn't read your post properly!