Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The George Boys & Girls of Deptford: Christmas parcels for pensioners.

Hiya.
Just a quick message thanking all the people who have contributed to the "George Boys & Girls of Deptford" xmas funds this year, including the tins at the Con. Club in SE7.
We've managed to raise over £2,000 this year, and today (Thursday) at 1/2pm we shall be making up over 120 food parcels to distribute over the next couple of days to "needy" OAP's.
If anyone is around the Sydenham area this afternoon, we shall be in the Golden Lion pub and everyone is more than welcome to pop in and help !.
Thank you all again for your support.
Paul.

Comments

• Options
    Golden Lion is at 118 Sydenham Road, SE26.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    A couple of free pints to any volunteers !
    P.
  • Options
    Hiya.

If anyones in the Greenwich area tomorrow (Sunday 14th) were have adrink or 6 with some of the elderly in the Royal George, Blissett Street (next to the Fire Station) at midday onwards; Helen is also laying on some grub for us.
    Everyone welcome !
    P.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hello again.

Back in 1955 a Charity Organisation (The George Boys) was set up to help the Elderly/OAPs. Since then every penny raised has gone to these people at xmas time.
    Originally the money was paid to the Clubs/Meeting places were people went for an Xmas dinner. Over the last few years more and more of these clubs have closed down (Thank You Mayor Bullock!!) so now we make-up food parcels to give to public houses where the landlords decide themselves who is most deserving.
    I'm not after your money (honest) but was wondering if anyone out there would like to help us out.
    Over the last few years our membership has dwindlled down to half adozen members.
    IF anyone can help, please whisper me.
    We meet once amonth in The Golden Lion,SE26, on the 1st Sunday of the month. In August we have a "walk" which involves 7/8 pubs in Deptford & Greenwich.
    Subs are £2 permeeting, and thats basically it. Other than the 2nd Thursday in December when we make up the food parcels, which involves alot of fun and drinking (WE pay for the booze).
    If you haven't got the time, we are still looking for pubs where we can leave a tin on the bar for any loose pennies (There is one in the Con Club in SE7 in the lower bar).
    Thanks for your time.
    Paul.
  • Options
    Todays the "1st Sunday of the month".
    Anyone about in the SE26 area at 11am & fancy apint & achat and helping us out (no physical work) with bits & pieces:
    The rear entrance to the Golden Lion,118 Sydenham Road.
    Thank You.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Todays the "1st Sunday of the month".
    Anyone about in the SE26 area at 11am & fancy apint & achat and helping us out (no physical work) with bits & pieces:
    The rear entrance to the Golden Lion,118 Sydenham Road.
    Thank You.

I'm given to understand that there's a fair few that get in The Lion who prefer to use the rear entrance!??!
  • Options
    You mean Billyboy ?
    Still got that picture of him with his Spanners scarf.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]You mean Billyboy ?
    Still got that picture of him with his Spanners scarf.....

Morning P...yeah I've still got it!
    Good luck today.
    S.
  • Options
    Doing a "dummy" walk tomorrow,Sunday:
    Starting at the John Evelyn at Midday,then off to,
    The Dog & Bell,
    The Rpyal Standard (Tanners Hill),
    Star & Garter,
    Little Crown (all Deptford),
    up to The Graduate, finishing at
    The Royal George (greenwich, next to Fire station) if any one wishes to join us for a pint or 4.
    P.
  • Options
    Would love to get involved but live too far away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks E.
  • Options
    Had a nice day touring the above yesterday, & weather was good (which was nice........).
    If you find yourselves in any of these watering holes, please buy some raffle tickets............
    Thanks again
    Paul,Sandra and the George Boys & Girls,
  • Options
    Its that time of month again...........
    Woke up all hot & bothered, thank God for Ice cold Lager @ 11am.

;-)
  • Options
    Charity Walk Tomorrow (Sunday 30th August):
    We're doing our annual piss-up walk tomorrow, starting at The Royal George next to Greenwich FireStation, then taking in The Graduate,Royal Standard,Star & Garter,Little Crown,then down Deptford High Street to the Dog & Bell finishing in The John Evelyn.
    Starting a Midday if anyone wants to join in..........
    Everything raised goes towards Food Parcels for Pensioners at Christmas.
    Paul.
  • Options
    Pint at 12:
    Royal George.....
    Should hit the Brilliant Dog & Bell about 2/2:30.
  • Options
    SoundAs,
    BillyBoys doing the walk with us.......
    I'll ask him about what he said about CL & computers before he has a drink......
    P.
  • Options
    Bugger:
    When Whispers go wrong #1357.
  • Options
    Thanks for your support in all the above.
    GB&GS.
  • Options
    John Evelyn BusPull Challenge today (Sunday).
    John Evely Pub, Deptford, Midday.
    Hope to see some you there.
  • Options
    Sounds a great way to spend a Sunday..................................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Raising pennies for the Pensioners Christmas Fund ?
    I think so !
    ;-)
  • Options
    Good on ya Paul.

I'm in Oz so cant contribute sorry but I wanted to say I tip my hat to you and all involved in The George Boys.
  • Options
    So how do I get one of them food parcels then...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]So how do I get one of them food parcels then...?

For a start you have to be 65 at least...........
    ;-)
  • Options
    Morning.
    If anyones in the Sydenham area and can help us make up 120 food parcels tomorrow (Thursday) we're meeting in the Golden Lion at 1 o'clock.
    The Lion is at 128 Sydenham Road,SE26.
    Thanks again to all those who helped us raise £1600 this year
    Paul.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Morning.
    If anyones in the Sydenham area and can help us make up 120 food parcels tomorrow (Thursday) we're meeting in the Golden Lion at 1 o'clock.
    The Lion is at 128 Sydenham Road,SE26.
    Thanks again to all those who helped us raise £1600 this year
    Paul.[/quote]
  • Options
    Just a quick Thank You to a couple of Lifers who Really Helped us today.
    We really appreciated your help, sorry there was a Palace supporter there.................
    X
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention, Said Lifers came up from Faversham to help.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    .Oops, sorry, meant to have whispered.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, alittle late.....

Meeting of "The George Boys & Girls of Deptford" in The Golden Lion, Sydenham, SE26 today at Midday, discussing fund raising for this year as its getting near Christmas !
    All welcome, and Serious ideas would be more than welcome on here too.

Thank You.