Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of Goals! both on and off the field!

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
I have just been looking at the top scoreres chart for the Championship on the BBC website and I think it tells you all you need too know what is wrong when there are three Wolves players on it who have all scored more goals than our solitary entry.
Chris I has 13, Slyvan Ebanks-Blake has 12 and Micheal Kightly? (a winger) has 7- Gray has 6 and 3 of those have been from the penalty spot. Pards was much too defensive which has put pressure on our defence and hence the amount of mistakes they have made in conceding goals as we have been under the cosh. I fear Parky will be the same although we did look to be a much better attacking team in the first half. Of course we all want Charlton to win but if they were losing 3-2 or 4-3 we would feel much happier to have seen real football than defending heavily and losing 1-0 or 2-0. We need to sign another goalscorer and use him to score goals- Big Chris scored 10 for us last season and he has already surpassed that this season at Wolves and it isn't even X-mas. No point in trying to go through the middle all the time- get the ball wide and play in early balls- Gillespie showed what can be achieved with this on Saturday and Burton was thriving on his service- sadly Andy Gray looked to be out of his depth again- Toddy should be utilised more as I believe his guile will creat more space for players like Gillespie to exploit with thier passing. We look like we are concentrating on surviving instead of trying to WIN games.

Comments

• Options
    You make it sound so easy, you should be manager! ;-)
  • Options
    i think it was important on saturday to show a bit of stability and keep a clean sheet. it is a shame we didn't get the full 3 points but calling to sign a striker when we brought 1 in on loan the day before the end of the season. its not necessarily that they can't score, i think its more about the opportunities to score. i think the problems have been in midfield for a while this season - they seem to move as a unit, either too defensive or too attacking and leaving gaps for disasters to happen. on saturday it was a bit better, although there were still bad moments, i think in the next couple of weeks with a boost of confidence, we'll start pulling together, scoring and moving our way back up the table where we belong.
  • Options
    Our goalscoring isn't a the major problem, we more less equal with half the league on goals scored.

The problem is conceding, we have conceded the most in the division.
  • Options
    Agree with Big Red - if you looked at the table on Saturday mornnig we had scored the same number as two of the sides in the play-off positions.
    Our problem is at the end other end with the worst defensive record in the whole the league so the clean sheet was a welcome start and hopefully the first of a few more over the next run of games.
  • Options
    Gray may score the odd goal from open play if KG delivers crosses but doesn't make any chances himself as he is too slow. Burton may have impressed on his debut but he is hardly a proven goalscorer. He has a nack of passing the ball when he has a sight of goal. I cannot see more than 10 goals a season (in open play) from either of these two. We desperately need to a) get Toddy fit or out b) give Izzy and Dicko (and Fleetwood?) a chance to see if they can score at this level. If these three don't cut the mustard, ship them out in January and get in someone who can. It's no use persisting with 2 goalshy forwards until January without trying those already on our books.
  • Options
    I hope with Burton we can get Keith more chances to cross the ball. I would however like to see a international goalscorer trying to get more tap-ins a box to box goalscorer mabye Toddy needs a good run in the team to show what he can really do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Our goalscoring isn't a the major problem, we more less equal with half the league on goals scored.

The problem is conceding, we have conceded the most in the division.

Not now we haven't. Watford have conceded 1 more.

We're 23rd on goals conceded and 17th on goals scored.