Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jay McEveley

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
What did you think of Jay McEvely ?

I had heard from a Derby fan during the week that he was a very weak full back with no pace and they were glad to see the back of him.

But I was pretty impressed with him , thought he tackled well and got up and down the wing as well as any full back we have had for years. Took a good throw on and got some good crosses into the box.

That seemed to be the impression from the group around me.

However on the way home we gave a lift to my friend's brother in law who is a Saints fan.

He described him as 'agricultual ' and lucky to still be on the pitch at the end.

What did you think ?

Comments

• Someone else described him as a Danny Mills clone with his aggresion and runs down the wing which I agree with. My only problem with him yesterday was the frequency that he would appear out on the RIGHT wing! This happened at least 4 or 5 times during the game. We actually started laughing in the end but could leave us short in that area for a counter-attack.
    All together a 7/10 for his debut.
  • He started well and linked up well with Buzz. Later he seemed to be hanging back and was 40 yards behind the play. Perhaps lack of match fitness or he had taken a knock?
  • edited November 2008
    Played well...with huge enthusiasm and commitment............ which is what we are needing in bundles right now.
    He almost created a superb chance near the end too with an overlapping run down the left and a wicked cross which their 'man of the match' keeper just got a touch to to thwart our forwards for the cross.
    Your friends brother-in-law sounds like a bit of a wassock to me....let him fooking walk in future!!
  • I was impressed having thought "Derby Defender! you wot!". Looks of good runs forward and commitment plus more height at the back when defending.
  • and he is a skin head all defenders should be skins imo
  • Looks like he had a better day than his swap partner - Varney
  • what happened kap did he miss gilt ended chances and they loose by any chance
  • Not sure about chances but they lost 3-0 against burnley, 3-0 down at half time
  • and he played ok apparently

from that i take it lots of running and huff and puff but no real threat
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]and he played ok apparently

from that i take it lots of running and huff and puff but no real threat

He 'always' plays OK nla......but with no end product!
  • Sponsored links:

• that was the problem bud i am glad we have oved him on and taken the hit

i said friday maybe him moving will have a positive effect and we will keep trying to make chances knowing that we dont have someone up top to keep missing them
  • Exactly...he was/is the sort of player you don't actually hate or think is useless...he has a good footballing brain, runs tirelessly (which is something one can never fault) down the channels and tries his guts out.
    BUT....you only have to look at his stats to see it just wasn't working for him or us...a shame as he has a lot of very good attributes that many a striker would love to have...he just doesn't have the most important one...or so it seems.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Exactly...he was/is the sort of player you don't actually hate or think is useless...he has a good footballing brain, runs tirelessly (which is something one can never fault) down the channels and tries his guts out.
    BUT....you only have to look at his stats to see it just wasn't working for him or us...a shame as he has a lot of very good attributes that many a striker would love to have...he just doesn't have the most important one...or so it seems.[/quote]

Chris I & Lisbie didn't work for us either !
  • edited November 2008
    I liked Varney and I think he'll do well in this division.

Can't fault his attitude or commitment so good luck to the lad.

Saw a young girl (16/17 maybe) outside the main entrance with a "I want Varney Back" banner (A4 size) so someone loves him.
  • Morning P....yup we seem to have an an ongoing problem here!
  • I think we're just polishing of the "rough-edges" of these strikers, then selling them onto "bigger" clubs !

(*joke* Derby and Ipswich aren't "bigger" clubs).
  • Just like the Reid thing caused discussion for bloody months (including me) I have a feeling so will Varney ;-(
  • shg

varney wernt good enough to take the thread inches he has so far imo

reid on the other hand or shelvey on the other threads now that was and would be a disgrace
  • Think the thread inches grow the more the fans are split over the qualities or not of a player. Varney imho fits that bill perfectly. I just think we will rumble on about it. I liked Varney.
  • i liked him shg just not a striker and hence the reason i wish him well but glad he has moved
  • Sponsored links:

• People said that about Big Chris !
  • thought mceveley is better than what we've got in youga or basey but don't think he's gonna set the world alight but will be good enough to push us to the heady heights of 21st not much more...
    burton will be as prolific as varney for us, didn't gamble late on when ball reached him at far post and just let the ball hit him when if he'd been alert he'd have scored
    cranie much improved and good to see fortch back
  • varney will score more for derby than burton does for us imo
  • But you don't KNOW that, Ooohaargh

;o)
  • Looks like varney took that albatross with him to Derby yesterday!!
  • I hear he missed one from close range, poor lamb
  • I thought he had an excellent debut and rated him our MOM on the outfield. Weaver possibly overall.

He looked athletic, strong, committed and got forward well. A definite improvement on Youga or Basey, but this was only 1 game.