Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray

Varney's utterly predictable but still unbelievable miss aside can somebody tell me what the point of Andy Gray is?

He doesn't win any headers, he doesn't make any runs behind the oppo defence or in the channels and the ball doesn't stick to him when played up

In short he is totally anonymous and we may as well be playing with ten men when he is on the pitch...

Comments

• Options
    He's our top scorer?

He is the only player able to hold the ball up and bring others into play?
  • Options
    You are joking?
    did you go?
    Its back to the same old we lost so someone is to blame again.
    he worked hard, closed down but had no real clear cut chances end of story.
    He was no better or worse than anyone else in a red shirt and my thoughts was they done alright last night and certainly improved on previous performances.
  • Options
    Have you ever seen him play kinveachyaddick?
  • Options
    thought he linked up quite well at time last night he did hold the ball up and seemed to link up with gillespie quite well
  • Options
    He tries hard but was totally dominated by the QPR defence last night, all 4 of whom must be at least 6' 6" tall!! He just isn't mobile enough to get around the pitch & try to shake them off. The QPR centre half, number 13, won nearly every header all night long.

To be fair though, it is a thankless role that he is playing. He is left far too isolated far too often, so even if he were to win the ball there is nobody to pass it to or to pick it up.

But he isn't good enough. End of story.
  • Options
    Gray's been one of our better players in most games I've seen him, he works tirelessly. The problem most of the time is that the midfield aren't quick enough to support him or Varney is hiding out on the wing nowhere near his flick on's. He's not the man to blame, maybe try understanding the game of football before you start blaming players.
  • Options
    What do people expect him to do?

I think he has done anything he has been asked of in the past few games. The ball comes into him, he controls it, holds defends off and then...oh wait! There is nobody supporting him around him, must be Gray's fault!

Maybe he should swivel and bang the ball into the top corner every time from 25 yards or dribble round the whole back four and lob the keeper?

Jesus Christ today is going to be hard work!
  • Options
    I saw him play for 90 minutes last night and he did absolutely nothing, I can tell you that.

I probably understand as much about the game as anybody but thanks for the enquiry.

As Red Pete says - he isn't good enough - end of story!

He doesn't win anything in the air which is poor given he must be 6ft and he lacks mobility and is surprising weak. How easily was he muscled off the ball last night?

BUt then again maybe I was in a parallel universe watching a different game last night to the likes of RedArmy??
  • Options
    balls were played to his feet on the half way line. he held off the centre half then laid the ball of to our midfielders.

Jesus give the bloke a break, how manay chances did he have last night??
  • Options
    Whats the point of him winning things in the air if he has nobody to flick it on to etc? The more i see of him playing the lone striker role he asks for the ball to feet/chest to try and bring people into the game.

If he started to win balls in the air and flicking them on people would start moaning that he is not holding the ball up and just randomly heading it into space!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Gray is a decent player who, similar to Iwelumo, has been starved of decent service from wide areas. I think he will get a lot out of Gillespie coming into the side and, the plain fact is, he is the best we have in that target-man role.

He does hold the ball up reasonably well if we get it to him in a reasonable manner, you can't expect him to hold it up very well if the ball is just aimed downfield towards him and arrives three feet above his head, not even Torres can do much with that kind of crap.

He is quite similar to Andy Hunt, probably a bit slower, but has a good touch on him and is OK in the air if the ball comes in from wide areas and is not just lumped up to him from goal kicks.

The main issue is that Hunt had providers like Mills, Robinson, Salako, Newton, Powell and Kinsella - Gray has been stuck with Sam, Ambrose, Varney, Bouazza and the rest of the dirge.

I bet if Reid had stayed he would have played very well with Gray, probably better than he had done with Iwelumo even.
  • Options
    There are a number of very good players at Charlton....but as we all know that doesn't make a very good team....for some reason even the good players (such as Gray) are also struggling because of ..............................well if if I knew what to say next I'd be a top flight football manager wouldn't I....I simply don't have any idea why we're not geling at the moment...it's a mystery to most of us and as much as we try to analyse and mull over what's going on with a fine tooth combe the more confused most of us become.
    Leaving the Sheff Utd game aside we've been damned unlucky not to have got avictory out of at least one of our last three games on the road...one thing we do ALL know and agree upon is that when you're struggling down the bottom of any league 'lady luck' always seems to desert you!
  • Options
    Guys - Go easy on Andy please. I don't know the whole story but it is in the public domain that he has a family issue at the moment.

Yes I know you could say that he shouldn't be played etc.etc.etc......but the manager does the picking and I'm in no doubt that he tries his hardest.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Good point OA - just look at the similar criticism Big Chris got last season (KA - did you rate Iwelumo?).

And look at him now - another couple of goals last night.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you look at the match thread, what alarmed those of us following via commentary rather than with our own eyes, were the repeated references to the ball being lumped up to Gray and him not winning a single header.

According to commentary he won his first header of the game in the 45th minute. One presumed half-time team talk would have been about gettng the ball on the ground and trying to play him in as lumping wasn't working. But no, within ten mins of the second half commentators had made two references to the pattern of the first half repeating, with every header won by their defenders - mostly it seemed by Gorkss, although perhaps that's just because his daft name sticks in the mind.

Well you can blame Gray or you can blame those doing the lumping. May be it's both. I don't know. But there's something wrong with it !
  • Options
    If you watched us attack last night as soon as one of our wide players got the ball they only had Gray to aim at who was surrnonded by 4 QPR players.

Time and time again when one of our wingers look for a cross only Gray was in there.

He needs support.

I also thought he did okay last night.
  • Options
    So where was Waghorn?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ''He needs support.''

So where was the boy Waghorn?

Conflictng reports on him. Commentary was very dismissive with several references to him being too easily shouldered off the ball and looking like a boy in a man's game.

A few of those who were there were considerably more impressed. So not sure where the truth lies.

But those of us who weren't there last night must be forgiven a lttle cynicism over reports of how well we played. Don't forget we were told that we had played really well at Argyle and Birmingham, deserved to win and - yes that phrase again - that a corner had been turned. We got back to the Valley and within 55 mins we were 5-1 down.
  • Options
    We have NEVER played to his strengths. Play the ball into feet move off him and get the ball in wide positions into the box quickly. He's not quick but is strong and holds the ball up well so why our standard out ball is a diagional hoof is beyond me. Hitting the balls into channels is an utter waste of time when playing Gray, If you want somebody to run into channels play the Varney who will run after the ball like a demented terrier.

The majority of teams in this division have much less talented squads but what they do have is a side that plays to the strength to their one or two better performers. We seem to be trying to start the jigsaw from the middle out while other teams make their jigsaw by finding the corners.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]I saw him play for 90 minutes last night and he did absolutely nothing, I can tell you that.

I probably understand as much about the game as anybody but thanks for the enquiry.

As Red Pete says - he isn't good enough - end of story!

He doesn't win anything in the air which is poor given he must be 6ft and he lacks mobility and is surprising weak. How easily was he muscled off the ball last night?

BUt then again maybe I was in a parallel universe watching a different game last night to the likes of RedArmy??[/quote]

Ok lets agree to disagree on this. Who in our current squad would you replace him with then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The reason Gray did not win many headers is that just about every ball lumped up to him he had the centre half climbing all over his back & the ref never gave a single foul. The same happened at the other end with Primus & Hudson & ref gave a free kick. Gray's game is not to win headers with his back to goal, he is better & holding ball up & bringing others into play not doing flick ons. Once again he did not get a single chance all game so, Varney got one & missed. The number of sitters gray has missed this season is err one i think that hit the post, with the correct service he will score goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The reason Gray did not win many headers is that just about every ball lumped up to him he had the centre half climbing all over his back & the ref never gave a single foul. The same happened at the other end with Primus & Hudson & ref gave a free kick. Gray's game is not to win headers with his back to goal, he is better & holding ball up & bringing others into play not doing flick ons. Once again he did not get a single chance all game so, Varney got one & missed. The number of sitters gray has missed this season is err one i think that hit the post, with the correct service he will score goals.

Bang on target, unlike Luke Varney.
  • Options
    Cant see the problem people have with Gray....I have to say when we signed him I didnt rate him, but you cant fault his effort and of late under his persoanl circumstances I think he'd be a candidate for player of the year. Guys.....give the bloke a break.....get behind our players eh?
  • Options
    At the time we signed him he was rated as the second best player outside The Premiership after Greening at West Brom, there is a reason for that. You don't become a bad player over night.
  • Options
    I think we need to remember that Gray, like his Uncle, started as a winger. He became a centre forward because of his ability to score goals and his ability to bring players into the game not because he was a "target" man in the true sense of an old fashioned centre forward. If we had Darren Bent back and started lumping balls forward for him to flick on he would look just as bad.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mostly fair points above on why we should not blame Andy Gray.

Others say no blame attached to the boy Waghorn last night, either.

Then there's an entire thread called 'It's not Luke Varney's fault'.

I'm not out to apportion blame to anybody. I merely point out yet again that Charlton strikers have scored twice in open play (Gray one and Toddy one) from our last 1000 minutes of football over 11 games.

That cannot merely be laid at the door of poor service, however woeful it has sometimes been.
  • Options
    We haven't played anyone up front this season who is happy to sit on the shoulder of the last defender, has pace to get in behind, is hungry enough to get in the box AND doesn't worry if he misses 'cos he'll score next time.

These are the records of a few established so called "goalscorers" that we have, over the years, afforded that opportunity to:

Lisbie - 16 goals in 63 starts plus 93 sub appearances
    Varney - 10 goals in 39 starts plus 18 sub appearances
    Gray - 8 goals in 24 starts plus 9 sub appearances
    Marcus Bent - 4 goals in 32 starts plus 14 sub appearances

I think you all know who some of us believe hasn't been given any where near the opportunity that these guys have had and who fulfills the criteria required. There again, with yet another loan signing (Waghorn) that we are obliged to play, he will have to wait even longer for that chance - if he gets it at all.
  • Options
    I agree.

McLeod must be given a long run in the side!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I agree.

McLeod must be given a long run in the side!

Joking aside Henry I actually think McLeod would be worth a decent run up top with Gray.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to see McLeod given a chance, from what admittedly little I have seen of Dickson he looks out of his depth.