Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My first MP3 player -help needed from Luddite

I feel like a real Luddite here but how the hell does this thing work. The instructions say that some models have a fixed rechargeable battery which i'm sure mine has but how the hell do I recharge it.

This is the model I've bought:

http://www.mpmaneurope.com/product.aspx?product_id=144

I bought it over the internet (awaiting reply to my e-mail saying it's broken!) and there's no way of contacting MPMan on their website.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• What connection does it use? If it's USB, could be that you need to plug it in and charge?
  • edited November 2008
    Would it be via the USB slot in your PC?
    BDL beat me to it
  • Just looked at the manual and it looks like it charges thru' the USB cable.
  • Never heard of charging something through a computer before.

I've connected it through the USB cable but nothing seems to be happening. Wouldn't it light up and show a small image of a charging battery or something?

Let me get this straight: normally you charge an MP3 player by connecting it to a computer and just leaving the computer on (?).
  • Yep.
    Just leave for a few hours.
  • Sounds unbelievable. I just can't see that this thing is recharging.

I've looked at the manuel online (shame they don't put it in the bow) and read this:

OV15 has an on screen battery monitor:
    • When battery level low , recharge immediately (connect OV15 to external charger or PC)

I don't see how you can use an external charger: there doesn't seem to be any hole to put it in.

I'll do as you say Petts Wood, but I'd expect some kind of sign that something's happening. I assume that I leave the MP3 player 'off'.
  • edited November 2008
    At the risk of sounding very patronising......Are you charging from a computer that's switched on?

If it is then yes you should see something even if the player is switched off (flashing bettery sysmbol in top right corner is pretty standard). If not try turning on when charging (usually you have to hold down the 'on' button for a few secs). Otherwise sounds like a defective cable or player's knackered.

Hope this either helps or belittles :-)
  • Have you actually connected it to the PC?

The whole in the bottom of it should allow you to connect it to your PC
  • If its the first time you're charging it, it usually takes a while before you get any of the signs (flashing battery sign) to tell you that its charging.

That usually comes on after about half an hour or an hour.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]At the risk of sounding very patronising......Are you charging from a computer that's switched on?

If it is then yes you should see something even if the player is switched off (flashing bettery sysmbol in top right corner is pretty standard). If not try turning on when charging (usually you have to hold down the 'on' button for a few secs). Otherwise sounds like a defective cable or player's knackered.

Hope this either helps or belittles :-)

Yes, the computer's on.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Have you actually connected it to the PC?

The whole in the bottom of it should allow you to connect it to your PC

Yes again.
  • [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]If its the first time you're charging it, it usually takes a while before you get any of the signs (flashing battery sign) to tell you that its charging.

That usually comes on after about half an hour or an hour.

Ah, that's interesting. But it's been about an hour now and nothing's happening. Hang on, just as I'm writing this my computer's saying that it's detected something!
  • Tricky Ricky was right. It's now lit up and seems to be charging.

Thanks for everyone's time but:

1. I've never heard of charging something indirectly through another appliance before
    2. Nothing happened for over an hour after plugging it in.
  • Looks like the battery was flatter than a pancake.

Most plug'n'play MP3's now charge thru' the USB port. My work phone does as well.
  • DA9DA9
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Never heard of charging something through a computer before.

I've connected it through the USB cable but nothing seems to be happening. Wouldn't it light up and show a small image of a charging battery or something?

Let me get this straight: normally you charge an MP3 player by connecting it to a computer and just leaving the computer on (?).

I've got a a Sony digital Walkman 20gb, which is a different format than MP3 (Attrac), but mine charges via USB or direct from mains
  • I'm not too bad technically really but I've almost had enough of this bloody MP3 player. So far I've managed to get music onto the software but whenever I try to 'eject' it says that some other software is using it. Not only that but I can never turn the bloody thing on.

Does anyone else have a MPMan MP3?
    Are MP3s generally confusing to use?

I do all sorts of stuff on my computer, downloading and using all different software but this has me beat.
  • Jimmy - Do what I am going to do and get yourself and Ipod touch. It's the mutts (and I hate Apple!)

The one you've got is not a well known brand. Can you return it? If it's UK based and they won't play ball try the local trading standards.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

The one you've got is not a well known brand. quote]

Well, according to their website they invented the MP3!
  • Only thing woth iPods, you can only dock at one station without having to add someone elses or removing your own library.

Sony walkman, great and easy to use, you can download Sonicstage from their website and it manages all your music files, can burn and create cd's from it, good piece of free software.
  • Just to let those of you who tried to help know: the thing was faulty. I sent it back and bought a Sony. Had no problems with that and now all your comments make sense.