Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Top Five Songs of.....The Band

A Canadian fusion of country music, early rock and roll with the funkiness of Stax. Beautiful songs and voices. If you've never heard them check out the first two albums (Music From Big Pink and The Band) or the best of To Kingdom Come.

Best known as Dylan's backing band but so much more to them than that.

5. The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - much covered but their version of the being on the losing side in the civil war is best

4. Tears of Rage - Beautiful song about parenthood

3. Acadian Driftwood - What happened to the French Canadians driven out of Canada after the British victory and who became the Cajuns

2. Rag Mama Rag - up tempo classic "We could be relaxing in my sleeping bag but all you want to do for me is rag mama rag"

1. Christmas Must Be Tonight - Best Christmas song EVER.

Comments

• Options
    the best Christmas song ever is 'Just Like Christmas' by Low.
    Fact and a half.
  • Options
    Dam it Henry was just gona post that ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Dam it Henry was just gona post that ;-)

Beat you at last : - )
  • Options
    Great post, Ben - although strange to see such a thing here.

Let me add 'Stage Fright' to your list, and 'It Makes No Difference'.

Mmm .... nice.

Guitarist, Robbie Robertson also made some fine solo albums with top tracks. 'Showdown at Big Sky' takes the biscuit for me.

There was a box set (A Musical History of The Band) released about three years ago that I'm saving up for. Are you listening, Santa?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Great post, Ben - although strange to see such a thing here.

Let me add 'Stage Fright' to your list, and 'It Makes No Difference'.

Mmm .... nice.

Guitarist, Robbie Robertson also made some fine solo albums with top tracks. 'Showdown at Big Sky' takes the biscuit for me.

There was a box set (A Musical History of The Band) released about three years ago that I'm saving up for. Are you listening, Santa?

Hi Dave,

Admin allow a few musical things to slip thru but you have to time it carefully or they are on you like a ton of bricks : - )

Stage Fright and It Makes no Difference are excellent tracks. Could have chosen a top 50 easy.

Never listened to much of Robbie solo work but do like Levon Helm's solo stuff.
  • Options
    Bumping in memory of Robbie Robertson who has died aged 80
  • Options
    The Weight is one of my favourite songs ever
  • Options
    dannybeer said:
    The Weight is one of my favourite songs ever
    The live version on the Last Waltz is lovely with the extra touch of the Staple Singers being very appropriate given how many great artists the Band collaborated with.
  • Options
    1. Stage Fright
    2. The Weight
    3. King Harvest
    4. I Shall Be Released (yes I know and it might be sacrilege to say so but better than Dylan's own version in my opinion) 
    5. It Makes No Difference
  • Options
    Somewhere down the crazy river

Rip Robbie Robertson

https://youtu.be/4KP9PNSUME4?si=AYxbMRQcFzL6AB5r
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    RIP
    saw "Once were Brothers" recently on TV. Possibly BBC, cant remember. Good documentary. They used this song near the end which is one of my favourites

the night they drove old dixie down. 

if you cant see that documentary then just watch the last waltz. Scorsese directed. You can tell by how good the footage is below. (no stupid crowd shots and focused on the band instead.) edit: 10 to 15 seconds in for Robert just orchestrating. 

took me years to appreciate how good these guys were. fucking love em now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM

• Options
    Somewhere down the crazy river

Rip Robbie Robertson

https://youtu.be/4KP9PNSUME4?si=AYxbMRQcFzL6AB5r
    superb .. a one off