Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"they won't go down if they play like this"

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
According to the Beeb on Score after the Birmingham match: "Charlton won't go down if they play like this" but I think I read something similar after the Plymouth Argyle game last week. No win in the last 7 games. Is it good enough for Pardew to stay?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2008
    its not good enough if pards gets the tin tack how many manager have we had over the last couple of years.

I think if their is a change I can see us turning the corner. Players slipping over at the most important moment seems a bit dodge too me.

IF we get relegated I sounds like only a few would be the only that would be angry !!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Charlton won't go down if they play like this
    All very well but that doesn't make a tinkers cuss of a difference if we don't get a result. We were unlucky today but we still need three points.. 12 before Christmas (preferably more) and I'll be happier; that's all I want.
  • Options
    We're all sitting at home basing our thoughts on commentary, internet updates or people's opinion based on posters comments based on listening to others comments or what they've read - chinese whispers.

See? None of us were there.
  • Options
    another 0 points oggy.
  • Options
    Been otherwise engaged all afternoon chaps.How was it? Any signs of encouragement?
  • Options
    Oggy i basing my thoughts on the current managers performance over the last sixteen months the todays performance, he has chopped and changed his team, lost the fans and is slowly taking us down, out him now, get a new man in, fresh ideas, lift the players and fans,and then he can make his mind up who he may want to bring in in January, please i urge the club dont leave it to much longer as we will all g oon to regret it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]

IF we get relegated I sounds like only a few would be the only that would be angry !!

You what?
  • Options
    sorry

IF we get relegated it sounds like only a few would be the only ones that would be angry !!
  • Options
    Seems like we have played better football over the last two games and it would be nice to think that will soon equate with points on the board. But it does have to be soon - and very soon!

We've now managed one win in two months and 11 games. Even since AP became 'born again' after his mea culpa at the NW Kent meeting 10 days ago, we've managed one point out of six and - I think for the first time - are now averaging less than a point per game. There's also been a further lowering of expectations. Even two or three games ago there was still talk of how one good run would put us back in striking distance of a play-off place. That's now off the agenda - I think we're 12 points off the last play-off place and 8 points off even the top half of the table. Most supporters are now praying merely for survival.

There are seven games between now and Xmas and VFR is right that 12 points is the minimum we need from them. It's a big ask - we've got 3 points from our last seven , so that's a 400 per cent improvement required. If it doesn't happen, Mr Pardew is surely history.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i said 4 points from the 3 games plymouth,brum and sheff yoo, we have scored 4 and conceded 5 but from all accounts we have tried hard and apart from a slip from weaver today we would have drawn both games.

we are still on track for that amount of points. There is no way that we should be going to brum and be favorite to win we must accept that to give brum a game and not get rolled over and our tummies tickled and be unlucky is just the way it goes

my views on the mgr have not changed but lets see what happens at home to sheff you where we can see it for ourselves if there is any change in the style and attitude of the players.

lets just cut them some slack until after then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree Pete Tong. This team is never going to succeed under Pardew. Our record is horrible.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i said 4 points from the 3 games plymouth,brum and sheff yoo, we have scored 4 and conceded 5 but from all accounts we have tried hard and apart from a slip from weaver today we would have drawn both games.

we are still on track for that amount of points. There is no way that we should be going to brum and be favorite to win we must accept that to give brum a game and not get rolled over and our tummies tickled and be unlucky is just the way it goes

my views on the mgr have not changed but lets see what happens at home to sheff you where we can see it for ourselves if there is any change in the style and attitude of the players.

lets just cut them some slack until after then[/quote]

Can you tell me how on earth we are on track for 4 points from the three games - we have one point from two games and have not won in 7 - you are not seriously thinking it's a given that we'll win next week?!!

Madness...
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]sorry

IF we get relegated it sounds like only a few would be the only ones that would be angry !!

You mean: IF we got relegated it sounds like only a few would be angry !![/

OR: It seems to me that if we got relegated only a few would be angry
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i said 4 points from the 3 games plymouth,brum and sheff yoo, we have scored 4 and conceded 5 but from all accounts we have tried hard and apart from a slip from weaver today we would have drawn both games.

lets just cut them some slack until after then

NLA, that's a good post you've made there.

The team is playing so much better in the last 2 games ......both away from home at grounds where most teams in the division would expect to get beat.

The team performance at long last is there.
    Let's take it one match at a time and see how we get on next.

And just cut them some slack until after then.
  • Options
    Sorry mate cut who some slack ? Pardew ??? who pissed the money up the wall last year ? who said a week back "i think ill pick my best team from now on and stick with it " ??? after two years cant pick a team , cant motivate a team.

Cut them some slack because we drew at Plymouth and lost at Brum ??

I dont boo (often) and been going for over 40 years-------- this lot dont desrve the support they do get.

How many fans of clubs that get relegated say things like "we only need X points from Y games" yet they havnt had a good run of games since God was a boy ? and we are saying the same shit !!
  • Options
    supaclive the reason i say we are on track is that we have 1 point and there are 3 available next week what is so difficult to understand with that logic,

i am not saying it is a given if you read my post carefully you will see that i am not convinced that we will get the 3 points, i have not been there at plymouth or brum but my general feeling is that we wouldnt have looked like scoring after the barnsley debarcle.

lets just wait and see it for ourselves

if you honestly thought we should,would, could bet brum at brum toady then you are far from in reality.

GH you dont need to cut him some slack bud i am abstaining from berating him because it just pissed me off for a whole week

but after sheffyoo he will either get another couple of games grace or i will return to wanting him removed WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT

however it aint going to happen this week
  • Options
    GH, if you're judging everything after 2 years - then I agree with you.

I've laid my cards on the table and said I'm not Pardew's biggest fan. And if he doesn't deliver, then he must go.

But ...... there has been a change in the team performance. It's writ large for all to see unless you really don't want to look.

We've had 2 games against 2 difficult teams at 2 difficult grounds - we could have had all 6 points.
    We haven't rolled over and died. Players have given their best. There have been no quitters.

And we've played as a team.

I'm judging Pardew and his team only on their last match.

After all, I support this club and will get behind the team every time - especially if I think their attitude is right and the effort is there.
  • Options
    Just watched Doncaster Rovers beat Ipswich on TV. Thye played some nice stuff and "wont go down if they play like this''. Southampton, too, are playing some good attacking football that doesn't deserve to see them relegated.

But come hell or high water, three teams will get relegated come the end of the season - and despite improved performances in the last two games, there's still nothing to justify the complacent belief that we might not be one of them - particularly as we are now just four points off rock bottom.

Also, I have to say, Oggy, that despite the "change in the team performance'' you point to over the last two games, we have still leaked five goals - and eight in the last three games.

I welcome the fact that the team seems to have found a little bit of spirit over the last two weeks. But it is as fragile as a butterfly's wing.
  • Options
    You have to start somewhere Nigel ........and there's no doubt whatever, we've made a start.
    And a good one at that.

The improvement is 100%.

Read Latimer's match report. Now we need those results.......!
  • Options
    Look I've called for Pards to go but clearly he isn't going to be sacked, at least in the immediate future. The last two performances have shown him turning things around from the total dross of the previous three or four games. I can take defeats when our team has played well.

Lets look forward to the next home game and hope that the tide has turned and we climb the table. If Pardew does turn it around why wouldn't we be happy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who comes out with all this "the performances are there" are entitled to their opinion but plain insane in the membrane.

Reading Pardew's spin during the week you'd think the Plymouth performance was one where we'd beaten Man United 3-0 at Old Trafford. An improvement from what exactly??

We got a point at Plymouth for christ sake.

I've spoken to 3 Charlton pals today and 2 of em have jacked it in and the 3rd (who is a very loyal poster on here) is waivering.

It's a complete and utter mess to the point where AGAIN we are relying on loan signings.

The way we have been managed we deserve to go down.

But at least we had a good week in training eh.
  • Options
    how many managers have we had over the past couple of years...

Er, I count 1.

:D
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Anyone who comes out with all this "the performances are there" are entitled to their opinion but plain insane in the membrane.

Reading Pardew's spin during the week you'd think the Plymouth performance was one where we'd beaten Man United 3-0 at Old Trafford. An improvement from what exactly??

We got a point at Plymouth for christ sake.

I've spoken to 3 Charlton pals today and 2 of em have jacked it in and the 3rd (who is a very loyal poster on here) is waivering.

It's a complete and utter mess to the point where AGAIN we are relying on loan signings.

The way we have been managed we deserve to go down.

But at least we had a good week in training eh.

Whats with all this 'spin' malarkey eh? Everyone going conspiracy theory-tastic? :-) Quite a fashionable thing at the mo'. As are plastic football fans, which makes me wonder if your Charlton pals hopped on the good ship 'Premier League' for a nice little cruise when we were happily floating there.

I've been with the club 24 years of my 30, & seen a lot of ups & downs, but never once, when we were seemingly out of it in some way or another,(Post last minute escape from absolute death: Season 90/91 - Bottom of the 'old' Division 2, without a ground, scraping 3-4 thousand fans a week & without a pot to piss in, to name an example) did I ever consider jacking my support of Charlton, in. I wonder what unfortunate club will end up with your fickle pals in tow.(Go on, send em' to shithurst!)

Bottom line is Pardew chats shite most of the time, sadly have to accept it while he is in charge. However, the reality is, in footballing terms, that we have played a damn sight better in the last 2 games, than we have done for the majority of the season so far. We have been unlucky to some degree & we are still a little edgy, but the spirit & a sense of pride is there. Which is (I will stand corrected if I'm wrong), what we all want.

Sure, I'd be gutted, absolutely devastated in fact, if we go down, but as long as the players fight it all the way, give it their very best & don't lay down in any way, I won't feel quite as bad, & will still have pride in my heart.

It shouldn't, by any stretch of the imagination, be the way we are looking at this season. As, 'on paper', or the basis of the Reading performance, we should be 'up there'. Some Del-Boy-esque managment has certainly contributed to that not being the case, but thats the situation that we find ourselves in. We aren't up there with the Man Utd's, Chelski's, etc, we are back in the old divison 2 & thats the reality. Better that we battle like mad, than fold up & die. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the loan signings, the squad is obviously thin, & its hardly like we can buy anyone at the mo', even if the window were open. I don't see that the last two games, or the season has seen an over reliance on loan players,(erm, 2 Central defenders brought in to cover our summer pruned defence & a winger for a winger) nor will getting one or two in, considering we've got rid of more than we've bought overall, we are certainly depleted in a few areas.

C'mon you Reds!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm angry already.

The poor bastards who sit in front of me in North upper can testify to that.

I dread to think as to how much more angry I could get.

Upon leaving Selhurst Park this season I fucking lost it at some woman who was trying to drive her car through the leaving fans. I was surprisingly calm at the Nigels singing "we beat the scum 1-0" though.

I worry about my sense of well being sometimes, I really do.