Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

well done to Greenwich Council

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
Councils are often attacked, sometimes with good cause - and that certainly applies to Greenwich - but well done to them for their recycling efforts - just 3% of Greenwich refuse ends up in landfill, which is fantastic.

I've just moved out of Greenwich and it's highlighted how good they are at collecting recyclables, compost etc.

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk:80/Greenwich/News/LatestNews/GreenwichBestCouncilForLandfillWaste.htm

Comments

• Options
    that is amazing.
  • Options
    Recycling is that the same as, We sort it and put in the appropriate bin the dustmen remove the bin and empty the contents in the street? the only day we need a roadsweeper is bin day, they block the streets for fecking hours shafting every car driving commutor for miles! two of the ba****ds were parked side by side on Bostall hill one facing up thee other down the drivers were having a good chat, fecking hiarious it was, the W*****S, I'm just glad I live the at the top of a hill, on a breezy day the good follk at bottom come home from work and find the entire contents of a dustcart on their front lawn. So just 3% makes it to landfill that means 97% is left in the road! they didnt empty our bin last week because and I quote " You didnt have enough in it" I did have when they'd gone. ;-)

Rant over
  • Options
    This nonsense with Recycling is all aload of rubbish.
  • Options
    whats this to do with football badger
  • Options
    dont they ship it to china where they burn it?

:)
  • Options
    where do you live salad? my best mate lives in morriston.
  • Options
    Recycling is a scam - period. For 95% of materials it costs more energy to recycle them than is claimed back by the actual recycling. There are notable exceptions to this (glass and aluminium mainly) but the rest is all vote-grabbing bollocks. Simply recycling because its 'good for the environment' is a lie. Of course, if the sole aim is to stop landfill, then great - but whats the bloody point of recycling if, in doing so, you actually create MORE environmental problems, not less?
  • Options
    Greenwich have a standard that they will respond to complaints in a given time - They never do. Greenwich attempt to re-cycle lots of stuff that can't be re-cycled 97% might be a start in the re-cycling bin but I doubt that is the case at the end of the line. When it is sorted at Nathen Way it is probably more like 75%.

Oh and they as a council lie and are difficult as well we all know that.

I live here and detest them.
  • Options
    wow
  • Options
    Sorry Salad, but this is rubbish (aha-aha!), and I'm a paid-up tree-hugger.

For a start, Greenwich Council managed to completely botch the introduction of their recycling scheme; didn't allocate it enough cash and there's a lot of overworked/underpaid staff struggling with a backlog of complaints while their bosses and the councillors who didn't give it enough money basking in the glory. To give them credit, they are ahead of other boroughs in all this, but they've gone about it in such a way as to turn people against recycling/ clearing up your own filth.

Secondly, do you know where all this stuff goes? Most of this stuff is shipped overseas for processing. It's a nasty business. Where's Greenwich Council in promoting the processing of recycling in Britain, creating jobs in the UK? Nowhere, because they're only doing this because they have to meet a government target (and the government's only half-heartedly trying to meet a EU target).

As far as I'm aware, Greenwich has always had a low rate of landfill, because we burn a lot of rubbish at the incinerator next to the New Den. (Which is another composting-bag-full of worms.)

Doing this properly is about a hell of a lot more than putting tuppence into some new wheelie bins and then not collecting them properly, before bashing out a crappy press release, it's about working to win over people and changing attitudes and changing your own way of working. But hey, we know what'll be the front page story on the Greenwich Council newspaper next week, before it heads to the recycling bin, eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Inspector.