Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loan Swaps

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
we could only do loan swaps with other Championship or lower division sides so is this really an option ? Who could we swop and for whom ? Would the player we get in be better than the one that goes out ? Any decent player is not going to be loaned out by their Club are they ? If we loaned say Ambrose to Derby and got Robbie Savage in as a swap would we have got the better end of the deal ? Would we want Robbie Savage for example ? I can't see us loaning Dean Sinclair to Cardiff and getting McCormack in excahnge can you ? Will be interesting what transpires from this.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/08/11/04/manual_143626.html

Comments

• Options
    I would like to see Varney out and a finisher in!
  • Options
    "We are looking to bring in players on loan, possibly loan swaps.We are hoping to do some business this week, certainly in time for the Plymouth game." - quote from Richard Murray.

So when Mr Pardew said he was going to start playing his best team from now on, what he meant was ''when I've finished assembling it''.

After 22 months, 32 signings (loan and permanent) and £13 mill spent in transfer fees , he still hasn't got a ''best team'' until he's brought a couple more players in...

That's what has driven some of us to despair.

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]"We are looking to bring in players on loan, possibly loan swaps.We are hoping to do some business this week, certainly in time for the Plymouth game." - quote from Richard Murray.

So when Mr Pardew said he was going to start playing his best team from now on, what he meant was ''when I've finished assembling it''.

After 22 months, 32 signings (loan and permanent) and £13 mill spent in transfer fees , he still hasn't got a ''best team'' until he's brought a couple more players in...

That's what has driven some of us to despair.

indeed, indeed. Shame that his best team includes 10 players currently at other clubs.
  • Options
    Maybe there is a time that has too many defender that would swap one for one of our strikers. Dickson going out to please Addick Addict, commanding full back centre half coming in.

Or someone who really rates Andy Gray or Ambrose and would give us someone decent in return.

could work well depending on who we get. Tommy Smith from Watford would do for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Dickson going out to please Addick Addict, commanding full back centre half coming in.

That won't be happening as you will see from the thread entitled "Trust Me".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe there is a time that has too many defender that would swap one for one of our strikers. Dickson going out to please Addick Addict, commanding full back centre half coming in.

Or someone who really rates Andy Gray or Ambrose and would give us someone decent in return.

could work well depending on who we get. Tommy Smith from Watford would do for me.

I get the idea but Tommy Smith ? He's like Varney, you love him cause he works hard but he can't score goals.

Surely we can't let a striker go for a centre half as that would leave us with only three strikers to pick from.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Smith is a winger which Varney isn't. And I think he's scored 6 goals this season which would make him our top scorer.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Varney would be more effective on the wing than upfront and may even score more goals from there especially as the pressure wouldn't be on him so much, he is 90% confidence imo and hasn't got any at the moment.
  • Options
    Can't we get that bloke who is Nottingham Forest's top scorer?

Don't know much about him other than his initials (O.G.). But I think he's got more goals than Luke Varney...
  • Options
    When I see Varney out wide he looks poor. Doesn't tackle or defend well. I think people see him running fast with the ball from a wide position and think that makes him a good wide player but I'm not convinced.

I'm sure it is all confidence but I think McLeod will play Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Varney reminds me a bit if Darren Huckerby but without the moaning and sadly without the goals, could and should be a top player, maybe just needs a bit of confidence and different advice from the side lines... stick him on pens and free kicks.
  • Options
    with you there, Izzy to start. Thing is why chuck him in for 60 minutes and then bomb him out of the next two matches. You would have thought he'd have made the bench at least.
  • Options
    is there a central place/number where you inform someone whom you are willing to swop and what you are after and then Noel Edmonds rings you back once he thinks he has a possible swop lined up ?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    We don't need loan players, if we accept we are not going to make the promotion race this season, then we have sufficient talent to get to mid table obscurity, however if it is possiboe to loan swap a manager then we would be talking. Its not the squad thats the problem its the manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]We don't need loan players, if we accept we are not going to make the promotion race this season, then we have sufficient talent to get to mid table obscurity, however if it is possiboe to loan swap a manager then we would be talking. Its not the squad thats the problem its the manager.

quite, but Pards hasn't realised that yet.
  • Options
    you are are all forgeting something, we only sign players coming back from injury to get them fit for other teams, who will have no stomach for a relegation battle as they will be returning too thier own teams in the summer.
  • Options
    What about trying Izzy and Dicko up front from the start on Saturday. Be fair, how much worse can they do ? They cant score less goals than our regular starters thats for sure. Try Varney out wide....try doing something different Pards please.
  • Options
    I know you can read far too much into poring over the 'small print' of who says what. But you have to wonder if Messrs Pardew and Parkinson are still singing from the same hymn sheet.

On the alleged Ambrose-Campo swap, both Magilton and Ipswich chief exec Derek Bowden insist that Parkinson spoke to them about it at Portman Rd last week.

Yet Mr Pardew says : "Campo was never coming here. That was never a goer."

So why did Parkinson raise it with them? Did he do so without Pardew's approval?

Very odd...
  • Options
    Never sure to believe in these stories in the press, different sources claim Magilton spoke to Pardew, others saying Charlton were interested in him in the summer but there is no more to it than just talk after a game. We've not had a solid enquiry that we have to consider.
  • Options
    Maybe parkinson knows he is stepping into pardews job and thought he would start sourcing players early. Noone told pardew yet and he is not capable of putting two and two together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Maybe parkinson knows he is stepping into pardews job and thought he would start sourcing players early. Noone told pardew yet and he is not capable of putting two and two together.

LOL
  • Options
    That Parkinson spoke to Ipswich about Campo is clearly not just the usual invented tabloid story which never, ever has anyone quoted directly. This comes straight from the mouth of the Ipswich chief exec:

“There was an enquiry last week. Phil Parkinson spoke to Jim after the game, but it’s not gone any further than that at the moment. It’s not dead, but it hasn’t gone any further than there being an enquiry.

“We haven’t talked to Charlton about Darren Ambrose, but Phil Parkinson spoke to Jim about a possible swap and it’s not dead, it’s being looked at. Whether it will happen or not I don’t know.”

One just wonders why Mr Pardew apparently knew nothing about it. Like I said, it's odd. Not necessarily sinister. But undeniably odd.
  • Options
    Reading those quotes it doesn't say Pardew knew nothing only that he said it wasn't a goer.

Parkinson may well have asked "What about Campo? Why's he not playing?" to which Magilton said "Why, are you interested".

Of course there is no way that the CEO or manager of a club like Ipswich would build up a story to generate interest in one of their highly paid but not in the first XI players so that other clubs could contact them ; - )
  • Options
    Henry, a more likely explanation is that, as we know, Mr Pardew is simply not very good with words at the moment. Whatever he says seems to come out all wrong.

So when he says : "Campo was never coming here. That was never a goer"

he quite possibly means 'we made the enquiry and it's not going to work so it's not a goer'.

Instead it comes out with the clear implication : 'whatever gave you that silly idea ? I never would have contemplated that in a 100 years'.

Similarly, when he says he's decided to play our best team from now on, it probably means something quite different in his head to how it sounds on paper.

He's under the cosh and as he tries to spin his way out of trouble, his tongue is currently working faster than his brain.
  • Options
    Disagree Nigel, I just think people spend too long pouring over every word he says (most often quoted 2nd hand via a journo) looking for inconsistencies or more reasons to have a go at him.

As I've said before in interviews he can read the telephone book, quote 15th century Albanian poetry or sing the whole of West Side Story for all I care.

Just put out a winner team on matchdays. That's all I want. Don't care if he is witty, clever, says you know or innit all the time either. Just get the team winning.
  • Options
    Can't diasgree with your last par, Henry.

Not sure which part of mine you disagree wth. I hope it's not my belief that "when he says he's decided to play our best team from now on, it probably means something quite different in his head to how it sounds on paper''. Because if it really does mean what it sounds like, then he really is a bigger fool than I think.

I'm actually trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here by saying his tongue is working faster than his brain !
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Can't diasgree with your last par, Henry.

Not sure which part of mine you disagree wth. I hope it's not my belief that "when he says he's decided to play our best team from now on, it probably means something quite different in his head to how it sounds on paper''. Because if it really does mean what it sounds like, then he really is a bigger fool than I think.

I'm actually trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here by saying his tongue is working faster than his brain !

It was the "not very good with words at the moment". He is, IMHO, an articulate and intelligent man who knows what to say and when to say it to the press. It was one of the things that people loved about him when he came.

However that is, as we agree, not very important if the team isn't winning or in fact if it is.
  • Options
    With regards to Pards immediate post match comments I think the truth in Pards lie somewhere between to the two camps. I would suggest that, rather like the two Presidential candidates, he already has two speeches prepared according to whether we've played well or badly and just fills in the gaps on the basis of where we were particularly successful or unsuccessful in the game.
  • Options
    You are spot on Henry.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That might explain it, AA! Especally if pars from one pre-prepared speech sometimes get accidentally tranposed into the other ...

Actually, I don't think he's very articulate. I think he's very eloquent.They're quite different things.

There's certainly nothing articulate about statements like "The problem was their two goals" (said ater Shef Wed).

He comes out with too many of these hostages to fortune that are right up there with 'game of two halves'. You kind of know what is meant but taken at face value it's rich material for stand-up comedians who want to take the piss out of football.

It may be apocryphyal but one manager in the 1970s allegedly claimed that we had just witnessed ''a game of three halves''. Can't remember who it is supposed to have been. Malcolm Allison, perhaps? (another manager who was very eloquent but not articulate).