Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Campo to Charlton?

Comments

• So if Campo comes he would add steel and a bit of experience which is precisely what some of the younger players need in the middle, a few years back a certain Scott Parker certainly benefited from playing alongside Paulo Di Canio. I just don't feel that Ambrose really does what it says on his tin, he has talent but how many times has it truly emerged for us? As another poster says- come the end of the season he will walk anyway so his age is irrelevant, what we have is a situation where we need a bit of leadership and I feel Campo would fit this bill. The argument that he has not done it for Ipswich is open to examination too, he may not be settled there, his role may be different to when he displayed his best form, a myriad of factors could come into play. Coming to Charlton he may thrive or a season or two and be the shot in the arm we need. On the other hand it could all be pie in the sky!
  • I used to hair like Ivan Campo, though it was over 30 years ago!

Like to think he would be a major influence and a leader, hopefully helping the youngsters who'll probably be replacing him late on in games anyway.

Ambrose is probably one of the highest paid players at the club at the moment as he has been there some time so wages might not be a problem.

Worth a go imho. But I also thought that about Redfearn, Gronkjaer, Mustoe, Barnes and Hasselbaink!
  • Gronkjaer ? Have I missed something
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Gronkjaer ? Have I missed something

I think he might mean Blomquist!
  • forgot about him too.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]forgot about him too.

Very forgettable!
  • Ambrose, to me he is like many we have had in recent years inconsistent and very frustrating so if we decide to unload him then fine but let Ipswich get there hands in their pockets and pay for him.

I do not think it is a good deal swapping a young player for someone probably past their sell by date. Campo was class but if he can't get in the Ipswich team which isn't any better than us at present why the hell should we want him, surely that is telling us something.

We already have a player in the same mould in Todorov class player albeit a different position who doesn't have the legs for 90 mins anymore.

I would rather us play the younger players and gain for the future than sign another expensive player who might help in one or two games then fade away, leaving us no better off in the long term.

If it was a slightly older player with a few seasons in him brought in to shore things up and help the younger players that might be different but Matt Holland is just as capable to do that.
  • okay let's build a team around the likes of Toddy, Holland and Campo and let the young players rot in the reserves
  • There are many on here who slate Holland for being to old and past it so to bring in another one wouldnt do any good will it.

This is not my opinion i think Campo would bring something to the club much needed a calmness and professionalism that others can learn from, but i wouldnt give ambrose away this season for him if sharron wants to go next year let him but we should keep him here for the remainder of this season
  • Do rate Campo even though he's nearing the end of his career. Really impressed me and my Dad during the first half against Ipswich you could just see the quality of the player compared to everyone around him.

Wouldn't swap him for Ambrose though. Am a bit undecided would love to see him in the squad as long as he doesn't demand huge wages but not at the expense of giving the youngsters some much needed experience. Yet they could benefit from having a player like him around if only till the end of the season. Oh what the hell I think I'd take a gamble and go for it. Sign him up!
  • Sponsored links:

• I definatley think Campo could help us climb the table, with a touch of class from his set peices and long shots but I'm not sure about giving away Ambrose because can Campo play on the right because if he can't then we would have Lloyd Sam playing and I wouldn't want him playing a whole game so if Ambrose leaves who would replace him. I wouldn't swap Ambrose for Campo.
  • Finally Pardew has seen the light, i hav never liked Ambrose, fuckin useless, can't pass, lightweight and is just like Marcus Bent walks round the pitch and hides, i would welcome this swap wiv open arms, and we would hav a great array of hair wiv Campo and Youga!
  • Yep, I meant Blomqvist.

Shows how memorable his time with CAFC was.

Or maybe it's Beer Chang rotting the brain cells.
  • Ambrose needs a manager who can motivate him.

Campo seems to be self-motivated.

Pardew has zero motivational skills.

Do the deal.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Ambrose needs a manager who can motivate him.

Campo seems to be self-motivated.

Pardew has zero motivational skills.

Do the deal.

Pardew has 'zero' motivational skills....you know that do you?
  • "Pardew has 'zero' motivational skills....you know that do you? ''

I think we've all been desperately searching for them in the 11 months since we last won two games back-to-back, haven't we?

No sign as yet. Although I'm not sure why I'm saying 'as yet'. How long does he need?
  • Campo. No thanks. Old, slow and past it. We need to be developing our own young players for the future, not getting in a short term fix.
  • [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]Campo. No thanks. Old, slow and past it. We need to be developing our own young players for the future, not getting in a short term fix.
    Glad to see there's two of us :-)
  • Listening to the local radio on the (long) journey to Ipswich on Tuesday, they interviewed Magilton and asked him directly about Ambrose coming back and, although he didn't directly confirm it, his response suggested they are very interested and they must know that any bid of note will be snapped up by us.

Can't see the Campo swap though, defensive midfield is one position we don't need to fill, what with Holland, Wright and also Racon on his way back.
  • Ambrose won't get us out of the bottom three,let him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]Ambrose won't get us out of the bottom three,let him go.

True but i've got absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if and when he goes to Ipswich he will be one of their best players and will perform well week in week out
  • edited November 2008
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1772_4447982,00.html

Apparently not........(although it is TeamTalk).

For some reason won't highlight the whole address so link won't work. Need to put all of it in.
  • Parkinson asked about a swap...

Just who's in charge down at the Valley?
  • Ipswich have now made Campo officially available for loan. Personally this is the sort of experienced player Pards was talking about and i wouldn't mind him coming.
  • Again I think its a Waghorn situation in my opinion.

Semedo plays in that role and even pards himself admitted Semedo should nail down a place there.

I'd pass.
  • Please No!

I HATE CAMPO
  • Whilst i'm not doubting his ability i think we have other areas of concern. As WSS says, Semedo is more than capable of playing in that role so i don't think we need to be wasting 10-15k a week on Campo.
  • agreed - Semedo should be the rock upon which our new house is built ;-)?!?!
  • edited November 2008
    Not really what we need, Pardew would end up playing him next to Holland and that wouldn't get us anywhere.

Semedo should be in the team. When he was a regular last season we had our best run. Then Reid left, Semedo was dropped and we struggled. I know a lot of it was down to missing Reid but Semedo hadn't done anything wrong. Pardew just preferred Holland.
  • Magilton's comments make me laugh.

He says Ipswich will let Campo go on loan "if the right club comes along"

Pressumabley that means: "the club that can afford his wages and will hopefully take him off our hands"

I'd rather we didn't go for this type of player. Semedo is God....well Jesus at least