Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FAO the half marathon runners

i did the great south run on sunday, for demelza. i'd been in training for 6 months or so but it was still really hard. my question is this, how long does it hurt for????? i'm still struggling to walk properly and can't sit down for too long as i completely seize up! and today a new development, i have shin splints - jeez am i wincing. when does it get easier and what can i do to help my aching muscles? (bearing in mind i'm going to ipswich tonight). thanking you.

Comments

• First congratulations mate - I feel your pain.

My worst was today (two days after) but by Wednesday i was fine. Rub plenty of ibuprofen gel on the uscles and rink water and it should be ok.
  • Well done. Did you feel you run it well?

yes wednesday you should be back fighting fit i'd say. Didnt feel a thing come then.
  • thank you. yeah i think i'm worse today, yesterday was a general stiffness, today its more specific!! i was expecting to be able to spring out of bed this morning .... it didn't quite happen, i bent down to pick something up and i had to use the arm of a chair to get myself up.

i was well chuffed curb_it, ran about 6 miles non-stop then walked and ran for a couple of miles, then ran the last 2 miles a bit quicker. it was driving rain so that didn't help, i stiffened up straight away when i'd stopped and knew there was trouble ahead. i'm over the moon i managed it though, i'm not exactly a natural athlete and despite my protestations yesterday that i'd never do it again i'm already thinking about which event to do next. once the pain eases of course! i have full respect for you all, i don't think i could have carried on another 3 miles.
  • billy,

well done on you run. You will often find that you are more stiff/achy the second day after a race. My physio calls it 'delay onset muscle soreness'. Generally the best way to deal with it is to stretch you muscles 2 or 3 times a day holding each stretch for about 30 seconds. You will find that it helps keep you moving.
  • great stuff Billy
  • Well done billy!
  • Billy,

it stops hurting when you sign-up to do the next one! Well done.

CS