Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flying First Class

Flew back from Qatar first class yesterday, never flown first class before. The seats electronically fold down to beds. Have to say it was a weird experience to wake twice from my slumbers to find a trolly dolly bent over me adjusting my blanket ! thought i should tell them that actually i had had very similar dreams in my yoof !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also nice to arrive back into Heathrow to find all screens showing where your bags where , when planes were taking off or not were not working ! truely a shame on our country is Heathrow.

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited October 2008
    Terminal 5 is the business now they have found the bags....the rest is just rubbish mate.....so life in the pointy bit eh GH? Got to love the service mate
  • Options
    Flew first class to Mauritius in September by using some of my airmiles - rather nice!

Agree about terminal 5 Tel, much better ... unless they have one of their off-days as GH experienced.
  • Options
    Tried to get a free upgrade when we flew to The Bahamas for our honeymoon. Was told virgin no longer dish out free upgrades.

Waiting by the gate to board, they called for the first-class passengers, up stepped a Bet Lynch lookalike, decked in leopard skin print and nobody else.Wasn't too pleased.
  • Options
    Most of the airlines have stopped the upgrades now...unless you know one of the staff
  • Options
    Never flown anything other than economy, and can't see i'll ever experience anything above that to be honest.

Does it really make a flight that much a different experience to justify the cost ?
  • Options
    I got an upgrade for the first time ever when I flew to Oz in April....I wouldnt want to pay the extra, but the service and comfort levels are quite starkly different...instead of 6 attendants looking after 300 people we had 3 looking after 32.....go to first and it seems like its 1-1...lol
  • Options
    Makes a difference from economy to business, but not particularly from business to first.

Does it justify the cost differential? Does it bolox!

I am just lucky that if my flights are over 5 hours for work, I get to go business. Otherwise, unless I am using airmiles, I would not pay for it myself.
  • Options
    AFKA when you see the cost its stunning , but the service is the business. Was hoping for a proper English breakfast but of course in First Class it had to be something like a japanese breakfast ----crab omlete for frigin breakfast !! most of the other stuff would have looked ok in the tate Modern !

wasnt even sure how to get the "interactive Tv/film thingy" working didnt like to ask and make it to obvious i was a virgin .
  • Options
    yes its beautiful and if had the money i would do it all the time. Tho i couldnt justify it now. Not done first but did business with BA a few times to New York with work. Ruddy marvellous.

And I once got a free upgrade from Sydney to HK without asking. I got so overexcited i spun myself round 3 times at the check in desk to the bemusement of the airline staff!
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2008
    The other half came back from Tokyo on BA a couple of weeks back, got upgraded to business world club class, got treated like a leper, real attitude from the stewardess'/stewards, obviously knew they got upgraded for free (her mother, who paid for her own flight)

She said to them, drop the attitude, I know I got upgraded, but either do it with grace or not at all and I'll go back to business class (which her company had paid for).

Really rude and stuffy apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    StoneM i got a blasting for leting the side down by only traveling Business Class and staying in a 4 star was truely told "if they want us to drop everything shlep off to the back of nowhereville its first class and 5 star , dont sell us short !" did point out that there aint to many 5 star hotels in Papa New Guinea ! but hey thats next year.
  • Options
    Seeing as I fall asleep almost as soon as I'm on a plane it would be a complete waste of money but it does sicken me a bit when I see the adverts for these bloody bed like things instead of seats when everyone else is getting deep vein thrombosis in steerage!!

That's a joke by the way.

Why is stuff in first class free though when someone who is in first class must have loads of money anyway?
  • Options
    Got a free upgrade on Virgin Atlantic to LA a few years ago. It was pretty decent I must say and the reclining seats made it fairly tolerable. You still in an aeroplane though, it's not like your in a hotel. Still I could cope with it again.
  • Options
    My father in law travels all the time, he said 2 or times out of 10 if you ask you will get it, his tip is to turn up dressed smart, even if its trousers, shirt and shoes, doesnt have to be a suit, and take a chance, they do judge you on appearance apparently to see if your suitable.
  • Options
    real tea with real milk in a proper cup ! one trolley dolly between 3 peeps (nothing naughty)

was confused (easy !!) to read on my own monitor " pain operation" about 4 hours in i sussed it though ------" PA in operation"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Seeing as I fall asleep almost as soon as I'm on a plane it would be a complete waste of money but it does sicken me a bit when I see the adverts for these bloody bed like things instead of seats when everyone else is getting deep vein thrombosis in steerage!!

That's a joke by the way.

Why is stuff in first class free though when someone who is in first class must have loads of money anyway?

Not technically free when you look at the ticket price for 1st class, you really are paying for your food & drink in the long run, and then some.
    Compare it to an all inclusive holiday, your just paying upfront and have the opportunity to go mad if you want to.
  • Options
    Suppose so, how could you possibly ever get your money back from the cost though.

How much expensive stuff could you possibly consume in however many hours?

Expensive stuff normally tastes rank anyway so I would feel well cheated!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]StoneM i got a blasting for leting the side down by only traveling Business Class and staying in a 4 star was truely told "if they want us to drop everything shlep off to the back of nowhereville its first class and 5 star , dont sell us short !" did point out that there aint to many 5 star hotels in Papa New Guinea ! but hey thats next year.

lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Suppose so, how could you possibly ever get your money back from the cost though.

How much expensive stuff could you possibly consume in however many hours?

Expensive stuff normally tastes rank anyway so I would feel well cheated!

Well I dont like champagne so it wouldn't be an option for me, lager or red wine all the way, and they probably buy their lobsters from Lidl
  • Options
    was lookin at the menu and one item it said "topped with a baby lobster" i thought thats what we call a prawn in sarf london.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite often used to get upgraded on Malaysia Airline from business class to first class on my way back from Jakarta via Kuala Lumpur...if they know the business class is going to be full they look out for a regualr business class flyer who arrives early for the flight.
    I stumbled upon this wheeze quite by chance....they would ask me in Jakarta if I wanted to book my seat there and then for the onward leg from KL to London....I learned to say no, as I knew that as my flight from Jakarta arrived about 3 hours before the flight from KL to London that there was a good chance I'd be amongst the first one or two business class passengers to check in....if business class was looking like it was going to be full(which it invariably was) and as I hadn't as yet been allocated a seat then they simply upgraded me there and then at the business club lounge to first class....lovely Jubbly.
    A little trick that may just work for some of you in the future.
  • Options
    Personally speaking you could lay on free champers, drugs, naked ladies and the 98 play off final on the tv and I still couldn't relax properly on a plane.

Best part of a day to get back from bali on our honeymoon and I didn't sleep a wink.
  • Options
    Do you think it would work on Easyjet to Tenerife, instead of a sandwich you can get a pot noodle and a kettle?
  • Options
    they would make u buy the water
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

I got so overexcited i spun myself round 3 times at the check in desk to the bemusement of the airline staff!

Brilliant, Curb It.
    I laughed right out loud!

Will you do the famous Curb It spin next time we score a goal a The Valley .....?

;o)
  • Options
    Have done a few first and business class with work of late. The best of the bunch was definitely Virgin Upper. The limo check in and lounge are just different gravy. The likes of the BA and KLM lounges are not in the same league.. It just depresses you when you have to fly economy again.
  • Options
    Wow I wanna fly 1st class :o) unfortunately I am just an admin whore so will never do such things :o(
  • Options
    Fraid not, oggy, too dangerouse, I'd probably hit someone as i had my arms outstretched wide also. My mate who had given me the lift to the airport was mortified.
  • Options
    I did hear it from a good authority that Dicko was beside himself with excitement at flying out on Ghana internationals. Nice to know that highly paid modern pros still get as worked up as us humble punters.
  • Options
    It's great but when you see the price I can't imagine ever paying that much even if loaded.