Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone hear anything about the takeover?

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Our stock must be falling quicker than Lehman brothers!

Comments

• Options
    Why?
  • Options
    Yes I did hear something. Apparently we are in a period of due diligence. (Shh though - don't tell everyone)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes apparently Zabeel have made an announcement tonight stating that following their period of due dilligence they are no longer interested in purchasing Charlton Athletic. Apparently they have discovered that for 1/100th of the cost they could buy Carshalton Athletic who play a similar level of football to us.

Seriously though, I wondered what affect does the due dilligence have on Pards position of manager. I'm not one for making knee-jerk reactions, but even I'm losing patience. Supposing the board feel the same, could they make a change now bearing in mind that Zabeel may well have their own opinions? Would they need to discuss it first, effectively meaning that an outsider would have a say in who manages the first team. Or are the board in a position now where they effectively have to sit tight and do nothing regardless of how bad things get?
  • Options
    Get Curbs in as caretaker ASAP to grind out a few results, we need to stop the slide. Zabeel can then decide whether to bring in their own man or stick with him. I'm sure he'd enjoy the challenge more than gardening!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes. The steward at the top of the stairs between C & D blocks in the lower north last night was confidently telling everybody that "It's definitely going ahead! My supervisor has told me!". So that's that then. Sorted. We now have inside information from somebody in the know. LOL.
  • Options
    Bloke in front of me said "you know it has all fallen through."
    "What has?" I replied
    "The takeover, I know someone in the know and he told me."
    "Why?" I could not help but ask, wondering what pearler he had been fed
    "Because they are trying to screw the price down and old minty isn't having it and told them to fuck off!"
  • Options
    Pardew is doing his best to scupper the deal probably because he will be on his way if it goes through.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Pardew is doing his best to scupper the deal probably because he will be on his way if it goes through.

Pards must have known about the takeover at the start of last season then, cos he's acted like he hasn't had a clue since then & very convincing he's been too!
  • Options
    In answer to the original question;

No.
  • Options
    does anyone think current performances could/would scupper the deal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    certainly steve hows pauls head this morning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]does anyone think current performances could/would scupper the deal?

My worry would be that when it was in the initial stages our board may have said to the arabs that,with a bit of investment, we could be a premier league side in 1 to 2 years.
    After last night that looks way off the mark.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]certainly steve hows pauls head this morning.

he was bolloxed he fell asleep in the second half.He head is fecked big time
  • Options
    i think the team fell asleep with him .
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]does anyone think current performances could/would scupper the deal?

No I dont think current performances really would scupper the deal, if you are buying a football club you are buying it for assets (stadium, training ground, heritage, potential sales (tickets), potential growth, potential advertising revenues, etc etc) a few poor performances isnt particularly going to to devalve the club and what it is and why at the end of the day it is successful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]

No I dont think current performances really would scupper the deal, if you are buying a football club you are buying it for assets (stadium, training ground, heritage, potential sales (tickets), potential growth, potential advertising revenues, etc etc) a few poor performances isnt particularly going to to devalve the club and what it is and why at the end of the day it is successful.

Correct...at least to a certain degree as the Maktoums would see a relegation as a personal slight and it would reflect badly on the crown prince.
    But if we assume that the deal goes thru I´m fairly confident that the squad will see some new players able to turn the tide. If it´s critical Sheik Hamdan could always ask his brother in law (Sheik Mansour) to lend him some surplus players I guess.
  • Options
    So who do you have going spare at City, then MCFC? We could do with:

A striker who can score goals
    A winger who can take corners and cross the ball
    A midfielder who can spot defence-splitting passes
    At least a couple of full backs

Oh, and possibly Mark Bowen as manager?

Cheers - so very kind of you to offer to help! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]

Correct...at least to a certain degree as the Maktoums would see a relegation as a personal slight and it would reflect badly on the crown prince.
    But if we assume that the deal goes thru I´m fairly confident that the squad will see some new players able to turn the tide. If it´s critical Sheik Hamdan could always ask his brother in law (Sheik Mansour) to lend him some surplus players I guess.

How nice it is to have someone from city on here.He knows all about what it's like to be taken over by middle eastern billionaires.
    And more importantly,what life's like in league 1.

Cheers Mcfc

;-)
  • Options
    To be honest I think that if the takeover goes thru you boys will be swamped by rumours of shady agents trying to interest Charlton in their clients while the current squad will to the last man state that they never could imagine playing for another club and simply refuse to leave...it´s like that with City at least *sigh*

Possible loan deal from City?...Benjani. Danny Mills (don´t laugh..we´ll never get rid of him), Michael Ball, Caicedo.
  • Options
    Reading between the lines if it happens they aren't going to splash billions on superstars quite yet, so I'm thinking they would might want a managger who has expertise in getting out of this division, and who will get the right players at the right time to prevent an inflow of the above.

So perhaps the shortlist might include
    Pards (chuckle)
    Curbs
    Coppell
    any more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warnock ;o)
  • Options
    He is a total wassock but would instill some battling qualities into the gutless mob we have now.