Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Cabbie worst job in the country

Comments

• Options
    My best mate is a cabbie. It’s a tough gig now these days.
  • Options

Btw, apologies for the inconvenience the protest have caused anyone on here but protests in general do inconvenience someone somewhere. I'm sure the roland out protests have caused a bit of grief for some of us but we know we need to get our voices heard.

There are protests every week in London which cause me problems and we had them all last week with extinction rebellion closing bridges and stopping traffic.

So once again apologies if it's inconvenienced you.

Call James O'brien on LBC about it next time he has the mayor on mate. He really speaks out for cabbies
  • Options
    If you are going to protest, the minimum you should do is communicate what you are protesting about. Walked the length of LB this evening and was none the wiser about what it was about.
  • Options
    I thought cabbies didn't come South of the river.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Well said randy hunt. The job has become harder and harder. TfL keep changing the rules. Working man trying to stick up for themselves and protect their trade. I say hats off. #realltda.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife's cousin became a cabbie about 18 months ago and he's struggled to be honest. Might be partly being a newbie but seems the demand is no longer there like it one was, probably due to the apps like Uber.

£65k for one that can only do 60 miles on electric is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Uber is killing the profession. I would always use a black cab over an Uber cab but unfortunately, I don't have much reason to use either.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    black cabs will always get tourist trade or in areas that money is not an issue overlooking kensington high street from work they do a good trade, in london i would say more minicab firms struggle because of uber than black cabs, also depends on the person i usually will walk or jump on a tube a few stops than get a taxi, we have a pretty good transport system and i have a travelcard why not use it, even the night tube will have an effect, issue for black cab drivers is what else can they do for a job the only other job that requires a knowledge what they have is courier work which with all the emission laws is going to be only carried out at unsociable hours soon enough.

with regards to protests - no issue certainly a lot more deserving than some of the ridiculous protests we have in the capital.
  • Options

black cabs will always get tourist trade or in areas that money is not an issue overlooking kensington high street from work they do a good trade, in london i would say more minicab firms struggle because of uber than black cabs, also depends on the person i usually will walk or jump on a tube a few stops than get a taxi, we have a pretty good transport system and i have a travelcard why not use it, even the night tube will have an effect, issue for black cab drivers is what else can they do for a job the only other job that requires a knowledge what they have is courier work which with all the emission laws is going to be only carried out at unsociable hours soon enough.

As above. Londons public transport is good and as an over 60 i get it for free.
    Like any other industry cab drivers must adapt and move on. If not happy retrain for something else.
  • Options
    Talking to a cabbie last week, he said most of his fares these days comes from their app, rather than being hailed on the street. Be interested if that's the case for our resident drivers?
  • Options
    Jints said:

If you are going to protest, the minimum you should do is communicate what you are protesting about. Walked the length of LB this evening and was none the wiser about what it was about.

100%

Walked past it twice over two nights and the only sign I've seen is 'Shame on you if you work while others protest' and groups of cabbies huddled around chatting. No attempt to engage with people walking past or explain what they're doing.
  • Options
    olster said:

Jints said:

100%

Walked past it twice over two nights and the only sign I've seen is 'Shame on you if you work while others protest' and groups of cabbies huddled around chatting. No attempt to engage with people walking past or explain what they're doing.
    I ended up finding out from a CoL Police officer last night, and the cabbies just stood around having a chat.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Talking to a cabbie last week, he said most of his fares these days comes from their app, rather than being hailed on the street. Be interested if that's the case for our resident drivers?

I use the apps but very rarely. If it pings off and the job is literally round the corner then I will take it. Most days I come home having done 1 app job but all my work is off the street or ranks.
  • Options
    Randy

Do you have a daily target and stay out till you reach it or give it up and wait and see what tomorrow brings?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Came close to doing the knowledge a few years back but for one reason or another it never happened
    Think there is still a decent trade out there but you'd have to graft for it.
    The biggest irk for me would be thinking about loss of earnings due to the fact TFL run a road network that is nowhere near fit for purpose . Cabbies must spend a huge chunk of their day not really moving much.

TFL decisions to close key roads at a moment's notice is bewildering. But it's not normally only one key road in any given area. They'll go and shut two or maybe three in close proximity causing complete chaos when there really is no need.
    They're either completely thick or f*****g really spiteful. Think it's a bit of both tbh.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

[cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]JW, did the cabbie bubble ya?

No bless him, I've since got to know him well and truth to tell it was actually his missus that eventually did the off having been playing away whilst he was working nights.

Just goes to show eh.

Shows not to trust @JWADDICK with your wife if you work nights!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Randy

Do you have a daily target and stay out till you reach it or give it up and wait and see what tomorrow brings?

I have a daily target and never have any problem getting it but I'm also not a grafter.

A few mates do midday to midnight. The beauty of the job for me is more the fact I can choose when I start work and when I finish.

Last week the Mrs was in hospital as we are going through our 4th round of ivf and I didn't need to worry about having time off. I simply worked around it and didn't lose out.

As I said before most days I start at 11 as i like a bit of a lay in, but recently I've been getting into town for 7 in the morning and getting home for 4/5. A couple of weeks ago I started at 5am with a prebook job from Brixton to Gatwick and was home at 2pm.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Randy

I have a daily target and never have any problem getting it but I'm also not a grafter.

A few mates do midday to midnight. The beauty of the job for me is more the fact I can choose when I start work and when I finish.

Last week the Mrs was in hospital as we are going through our 4th round of ivf and I didn't need to worry about having time off. I simply worked around it and didn't lose out.

As I said before most days I start at 11 as i like a bit of a lay in, but recently I've been getting into town for 7 in the morning and getting home for 4/5. A couple of weeks ago I started at 5am with a prebook job from Brixton to Gatwick and was home at 2pm.
    Wasn't aware of this mate. Fingers crossed for you.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Randy

Sounds like the perfect job for you and hope you have some joy with the IVF.

My Uncle was a Cabbie for 20 years before moving out of London. He's always moaning about Uber but I would always take them purely because of cost.

I love the historical Black Cab but unfortunately it's just too expensive. Will always get the tourism though and I hope it can be a career for many.
  • Options
    7 years a cabbie and still love it. Can’t beat the flexibility of the job. About 50% of my takings are via the mytaxi app (formerly Hailo) and most street hails pay by card, so long gone are the days where you can hide your money from the taxman.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Randy

Thanks, I know a cabbie at my gym and he tries to work midday to midnight, six days a week. Not sure if he has a target but if the works there he stays with it otherwise he may come home early.

As mentioned above TFL don't make it easy for you with loads of roads closed in the same area at once.

• Options
    Not according to Derek and Clive it ain't.
  • Options

Is this a contest to reactivate the oldest thread :smile:

Pauline, you've got yourself some competition
  • Options

iaitch said:

Randy

Wasn't aware of this mate. Fingers crossed for you.
    Cheers gaz. Works every time but just doesn't seem to stick. Hopefully this time it does.

Suppose the stress of the knowledge hasn't helped :D
    iaitch said:

iaitch said:

Randy

Thanks, I know a cabbie at my gym and he tries to work midday to midnight, six days a week. Not sure if he has a target but if the works there he stays with it otherwise he may come home early.

As mentioned above TFL don't make it easy for you with loads of roads closed in the same area at once.

This could be my downfall. Its defo best if you are having a good day & its busy you should stay out & make the most of it as a quiet day will be around the corner.

However I choose to head home once I've got my dollar & spend time with the mrs/nephews etc than chase the money. Its still a pukka job but as you say TFL are doing their best to make it as stressful as possible.