Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For the cricket fans

Just spent an hour in the office with Sir Clive Llloyd. What a Legend and a top bloke!! we talked about Stanford and how he fears test cricket is dying. He is now the top bloke at the ICC and is trying to make changes that insures test cricket will never die. Wanted to get his autograph but had to show some decorum. Its always amzing when you meet one of your heroes and they turn out to be top people in the flesh.

Comments

• Options
    You lucky bleeder! What a man, always come across with such dignity. I think people forget what a fantastic batsmen he was, in his latter years he was seen more as just the captain of the Windies, often when he came in at No.6, Haynes, Greenidge, Viv etc had piled up loads of runs already. I remember a couple of innings he played in '76, absolutely explosive, he hit the ball so hard, fantastic fielder and more than useful bowler.
    I was lucky enough to see his last game at Lords. The Nat West final in 1986.
    Lancs V Sussex, I was there as a neutral. He got a standing ovation all the way to the wicket and then three balls later got one all the way back! 3 successive balls from Dermot Reeve hit him on the pads and sadly the third was adjudged to be out.
    I would love to meet the man one day and talk cricket.
  • Options
    jealous ain't the word.
    Get him down the Valley.
  • Options
    We spoke about Charlton as he is doing alot of work in Dubai, i told him about Zebel?? and he wishes us luck with that!! he lives in manchester and supports City and United cant blame him really as he said he always gets good seats and hopitality!! we look after Richie 'Morning Everyone' Benaud so he reconmended us to him!!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Saw him playing in thesixties with Sobers and a few others at The Rectory Field Blackheath, a benefit match probably. I wouldn't have wanted to be a tennis player that day the number of times the ball ended up in the tennis courts.

As Chirpy says he was a fantastic fielder. He used to prowl the covers like a panther. Jonty Rhodes, Derek Randall and (for the oldies) Colin Bland are the only test cricketers who compare in my view although Alan Ealham (Mark's dad) was right up there with them.

As you say it is great to meet real legends. I was lucky enough to get to know the late Conrad Hunte quite well and Gerald Davies the British Lion and former Welsh international. They were (and in Gerald's case still is) absolute gentlemen.
  • Options
    He was on the table next to me at breakfast last year in the Radisson Edwardian in Manchester, chatting with Michael Holding about the test starting the next day at Old Trafford. I was up there for a conference at the football ground - chatted to both of them for about five minutes about cricket (mainly Steve Harmison's form and usefulness to the England team). Both of them were top, top blokes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Saw him playing in thesixties with Sobers and a few others at The Rectory Field Blackheath, a benefit match probably. I wouldn't have wanted to be a tennis player that day the number of times the ball ended up in the tennis courts.

As Chirpy says he was a fantastic fielder. He used to prowl the covers like a panther. Jonty Rhodes, Derek Randall and (for the oldies) Colin Bland are the only test cricketers who compare in my view although Alan Ealham (Mark's dad) was right up there with them.

As you say it is great to meet real legends. I was lucky enough to get to know the late Conrad Hunte quite well and Gerald Davies the British Lion and former Welsh international. They were (and in Gerald's case still is) absolute gentlemen.

Tall bloke who played with a very long handled bat and when he hit it, it went a long way. A real legend and a top bloke.

I met his namesake David Lloyd once at a corporate function where he was guest speaker. What a genuinely funny bloke he was, gave the best after dinner speak I've ever heard.
  • Options
    I remember his fielding better than his batting; always prowling around the cover point area in a white floppy hat, his arms almost touching the ground. I'm sure he had the longest arms of any sportsman I can remember.

I remember a comment by John Arlott talking about the floppy hat trend: 'With these hats they wear now, it's hard to tell Clive Lloyd from Harry Pilling'. Clive Lloyd was black, tall and slim, Harry Pilling was white, chubby and about five foot nothing.

Great Windies side back then. And a brilliant atmosphere at the Oval in particular.