Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Baby Bent and England

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
How much of a game do you think he will get in the next two internationals?
Will they prefer to play Johnson?
HE NEEDS TO GET A START, THEY NEED TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!

Please feel free to discuss

Comments

• Options
    It suprises me how the media are really bigging up Andy Johnson, yet Bent is taking a backseat on three goals already.

Bent is ready, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    I don't think he'll start either game (unless injuries rule out one or more of Johnson, Crouch, Defoe) but I hope he gets at lest 20 minutes in each game. He has to make an impression, Rooney is back for the next set of internationals and so one of Bent or Johnson will be dropped. Most likely Bent because he can play in the U21s, which none of the others can.
  • Options
    I haven't got a clue as to why he doesn't get the attention he deserves, but perhaps it's for the best right now. He's got more to offer than Defoe and Johnson for sure, but he probably won't start.
  • Options
    He's certainly got a lot more to offer than Crouch...can you see Crouch scoring the goals that Bent does?
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]He's certainly got a lot more to offer than Crouch.

Have to say BFR that i disagree with you on this- until the build up to the world cup i thought Crouch was a joke, but over the world cup he showed he had a lot to offer and for such a tall player actually has good feet. Benitez wouldn't have paid so much for him if he wasn't ok at the highest level-
    Still feel, however, that Darren, by achievement, should be given at least 30 mins- then it's up to him to take his chance- just as he did when he moved up to Premiership level.
  • Options
    Crouch is certainly a better player than most of us anticipated, has got a superb touch for a big man. If he could add a bit of more of a ruthless streak, and some single-mindedness, he would be even better...
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Crouch is certainly a better player than most of us anticipated, has got a superb touch for a big man. If he could add a bit of more of a ruthless streak, and some single-mindedness, he would be even better...

No pace though, and that will always be Crouch's problem
  • Options
    little he can do about that though, he just needs to work even harder on his strengths.

I'm presuming the lack of pace thing was the reason why Benitez was keen to get Bellamy.
  • Options
    But being 6ft 5 has other advantages- play him next to someone who has pace and stuff happens. Brings alive dead ball situations and as AFKA says- for a big man he has a unusually deft touch.

i'm pretty confident that if Owen, Judas, Bent, Rooney et al were asked who they would want up there with them Crouch would prbably top the poll!

And i reitterate the fact that until the build up to the W/C i though he was a joke!
  • Options
    Crouch is a bit one dimensional, he has no pace, an ok first touch, in terms of skill he's average and can't even head the ball that well - Beckham aimed for Ferdinand and Terry at set pieces, not Crouch, and remember the Portugal game...as the only English forward on the pitch he wasn't trusted to be a penalty taker. He work's hard on the pitch but given Liverpool's midfield and the fact that they enjoy the majority of possession his goal scoring return is poor - last season including games in Europe it was something like one in four games. For England he should have been playing the last 30 mins where his height could cause a few problems. As a starter he was getting sussed out, and one goal in five games sums him up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm presuming the lack of pace thing was the reason why Benitez was keen to get Bellamy.

And Kuyt...

Bent has to improve in one or two areas, his first touch could be sharper, but playing against better defenders will be the best training he could have.
  • Options
    some forward line Liverpool have now -

Kuyt, Croach, Bellamy, Fowler, Pongolle, plus they like to play with players like Garcia and Kewell getting forward. If they can just click it right, they could take over from Arsenal as the best attacking team to watch in the country.

I suspect Pongolle with move out in the next couple of days. Would certainly not be disappointed if it was too us. We need another striking option, Big Bent and Lisbie is just not enough or good enough.
  • Options
    TT
    edited August 2006
    For a big man Crouch is surprisingly sh*t in the air... Can't argue with his goal record for England though but if bent was playing in the same Liverpool side he'd have bagfuls.

Young Darren gets unfairly bundled in with the quick nippy strikers like Johnson, Defoe, Owen yet he's a couple of inchies shy of 6ft and about 12 stone. Out of the England set up he's probably the strongest in the air.