Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

what does CAFC mean to you

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
AFKA i know there have been similar threads fella but in the context of what looks like happening i think a lot of peeps are thinking of this question.

Its the place i went with m y dad just me and him
the place i made life long friends
the place were no matter what piss take was thrown at us we was still all CAFC
its that f**kin disgusting peice of paper about Shitouts park
The valley Party
Woolwich Town Hall
Wembley
Big D--Mic Mac---ian P
Its 40 years of fun , pain, laughs , disapointment

What ever happens with this forign investment no one can ever take the above away.

Is it right ? i havnt a f**kinn clue.
Are we a sell out ? yes in some ways , but better us the Nillwall shit.
will it work ? maybe
Will we loose some of what CAFC is ? only if we let em.

Sometimes you have to take a step into the dark !!!

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2008
    It's where I was taken by my Father when I was about 10 years old.
    It's where I saw my early heroes like Charlie Wright, Alan Campbell, Harry Gregory...
    It's where used to queue up waiting for the turnstiles to open so I could get my place on the railings near the goal opposite the covered end.
    It's the club I dreamed of following in The top division
    It's the club I dreamed of following in Europe
    It's the club that I feared would be taken from me when they nearly went broke in the early 80's
    It's the club that made me angry when they moved to sellout park
    It's winning against the odds at Old Trafford
    It's the play off final at St Andrews.
    It's the Voice of the valley, Addickted, Valley Floyd Road, Valiants viewpoint.........
    It's Woolwich town hall when the planning committee turned down the original planning permission,
    It's the club I took two weeks off work for to campaign and work for the Valley Party.
    It's Woolwich town hall for the back to the Valley announcement
    It's where I got red pain all over my jacket when paining railings at the Valley on December the 3rd 1992
    It's December the 5th
    It's believing that things could only get better at half time at the Old Trafford cup tie
    It's Wembley for the play off final
    It's Blackburn away, being crowned Champions
    It's being elated with promotions, and gutted with relegations.
    Mastermind
    It's 'doing the lot' home and away for five seasons
    Steve Gritt, Steve Brown.....
    It's friends
    It's supporters
    It's the Royal, The liberal Club, The Con Club, The Valley Pub, The Bugle..........
    It's Family
    It's CHARLTON
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What alex said
    Plus it was one of the last things i did with my mother... NOTHING can ever take that away!
  • Options
    What Alex said!

Goose bumps reading that.

Will add

It's taking your son to his first game and he becoming totally addickted

It's being at an away game and singing Valley Floyd Road and meaning every word
  • Options
    Somewhere I can buy beer and hotdogs (& pies) from the same counter
  • Options
    To me its friends, football, fun, frustration and family!
  • Options
    charlton athleitc football club

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]charlton athleitc football club

:-)

I thought you would have said Carshalton Athletic ; - )

Bet you wished you'd kept that season ticket now, hey mate ; - )
  • Options
    Crew Alexandra?

:)
  • Options
    no not really.... not missing it and this changes nothing TBH. . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]no not really.... not missing it and this changes nothing TBH. . . .

Stop texting me during the games for updates then : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lol - - just because I don't go doesn't mean I don't care.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]lol - - just because I don't go doesn't mean I don't care.

I know mate, just pulling your plonker.
  • Options
    wooooooah there Henners.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's a piece of me so deep inside I can't fathom it out or put it into words....I've tried to do it a thousand times and it always turns out as 'cheesy as hell' aint that the truth....I remember some bloke coming up to me when I was the main organiser in the Andy Nelson out campaign who accused me of trying to destroy the club, I can't ever remember being so hurt by the comments of a fellow fan....the vvanker, if only he knew just how much it was the exact opposite!
  • Options
    It's religion...like it or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]It's religion...like it or not.

No it's not. Sorry but that is a lazy comparison IMHO

Those who are religious may well see that as insulting to their beliefs esp comparing a football club to a divine being.

Those who are not religious, like me, may see no real comparison. CAFC does not set out a ethos or moral code for living my life, offer me ever lasting life or a route to heaven. And without wanting to start a row I know for sure that it exists.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]It's religion...like it or not.

No it's not. Sorry but that is a lazy comparison IMHO

Those who are religious may well see that as insulting to their beliefs esp comparing a football club to a divine being.

Those who are not religious, like me, may see no real comparison. CAFC does not set out a ethos or moral code for living my life, offer me ever lasting life or a route to heaven. And without wanting to start a row I know for sure that it exists.

At no point did I compare it to a divine being. The rituals involved with religion bare an uncanny resemblance to supporting Charlton in the way I do.

Plus I've actually spoken with a Pastor at length about this very subject and he believes it to be the case and is far from offended. I'm in no way religious because I beleive in science however I don't think comparing football to religion is offensive.
  • Options
    CAFC is my religion though.

Its the most dominating factor in my life, its what takes up the majority of my thoughts, and in times of guidance, i pray to the three wise men*

* Sam Bartram, Jimmy Seed, Steve Sutherland
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]CAFC is my religion though.

Its the most dominating factor in my life, its what takes up the majority of my thoughts, and in times of guidance, i pray to the three wise men*

* Sam Bartram, Jimmy Seed, Steve Sutherland

No Andrew Mills?
  • Options
    plucky charlton
    being patronised by bigger clubs
    blackburn full members cup final
    defeat from the jaws of victory
    few points from the last ten games of the season
    And thats what makes my Club a querky fun unpredictable joyful experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you said it was a religion which implies that there is someform of supernatural/divine being/life force involved.

OK, maybe not offensive to you but still not valid IMHO. Anyway others things to argue over.

Live, laugh, laugh and be happy.
  • Options
    I dont see this possible take over in a bad light, but i wont sell my shares. It was done as a joint exercise with my late father. Did it when the club need us to do it and really never cared when the price went down. They have nil value as such because i wont sell them. To me its part of my lifes memory.
  • Options
    My Dad taking me, age 7, to see us play Wolves in 1954. I've still got the programme. :)
    Taking the, so called, Special Bus from Bexleyheath bus garage to The Valley for home games in the late 50's, early 60's.
    Seeing us get relegated and then losing to Blackburn in the last game of the next season and failing to bounce back.
    Years of disappointment and decay, Sellout Park, interspersed with Lennie, and then back down again.
    Curbs, Super Clive, Wembley, promotion and holding our own in the Premier League.
    Watching us beat Arsenal at The Valley 1-0. Something I never thought I'd live to see. Watching Arsene Wenger fall base over apex chasing the ball along the touchline because they were losing 1-0 to "little old Charlton".
    Relegation and disappointment again.

My computer at home gave up the ghost last Friday night, so I went out and bought the European edition of the Guardian on Saturday. I broke my rule of always starting on the sports pages and waded through 37 pages of financial crisis etc. etc. I felt like slitting my wrists! I turned to page 38, and what do I see? Financial crisis? What financial crisis? I hope the deal goes through.

I wouldn't change any of it, even if I had the chance.
  • Options
    and another example of the keyboard warriorship. Trying to vent off at an innocent throwaway comment - its a figure of speech. You'll put people off coming on here - they'll be too scared to say anything.
  • Options
    greater than the sum of its parts..

I was trying to explain to the missus why this happening is such a big deal, some people will never understand I'm afraid.

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]and another example of the keyboard warriorship. Trying to vent off at an innocent throwaway comment - its a figure of speech. You'll put people off coming on here - they'll be too scared to say anything.

Give it a rest. He said something I didn't agree with. I said why politely. He responded with a counter agreement, I responded to that but then left it at that.

Not sure how you draw the conclusion that I'll scare people off. Record numbers of people posting right now. Maybe that are all here to read what I have to say?

That last line was a joke BTW.
  • Options
    give a rest? Coming from you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]give a rest? Coming from you?

Great comeback.
  • Options
    For goodness sake.

Guys.
  • Options
    I know... im just sat at my desk massaging my ego as i type.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!