Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Everton - Post Match Comments

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Very frustrating. Thank god the last 20 has given us a glimmer of hope because for 70 mins we looked a shambles of a side again.

Reid become influential as the game went on, goal seemed to give him a real boost.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Baby Bent needs to score. You could see his confidence was really low (especially the couple of chances in the last five minutes).

Reid - that goal could be the breakthrough we need.

Holland - committed - put in a few crunching tackles.

Romm - Perhaps play him in the second half only? His running at a tired defence was fantastic, but the lack of end product means he's not worth the full 90 mins.

The Elk - How many backheels???

Ambrose - As ineffectual as Holland used to be last year.

Daddy Bent - Changed the team when he came on (didn't think I'd ever say that!)
  • Ambrose - must look good in training, totally ineffective!!! And never a winger.

Holland - past it, sorry mate

As for the rest either shoot or cross not both, and try and get inside the box more.

Draw against a toothless Everton, pish poor really.

Need three good players in Jan, still can't see us turning it around even then, still if we keep the squad together with some improvements a dead wood out we should cruise back in to the top flight the following season
  • generally very poor as you say D

Ambrose was a complete waste of time

i have a feeling that we are going to get Curb's style negatve tactics with Reed - at least under ID it was dire but fun

the atmosphere seemed non-existant or was that just how it came across on TV
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Baby Bent needs to score. You could see his confidence was really low (especially the couple of chances in the last five minutes).

that's a good point. Everyone has come in for a slating bar Benty of late, but you can see what impact the bad run has had on him. The confidence seems to be draining by the week. Lopping angled balls 40yds in the air to him isn't going to help things though...
  • thought Faye had one of his weakest games for us today. Considering we had 3 in the centre, they got to pass it around so easy in midfield for the bulk of the game.
  • Baby Bent is just not the same player as last season, looks a little slow and lacking in confidence - I'm sure he's carrying an injury.
    Defence seemed better with HH in the middle but the midfield still lacks bit and creativity, glad we had Reid who is improving.
    But it is one point and it is something to build on.
  • Carson looked a bit flustered in the last 5-10 minutes - there were some dreadful clearances...
  • i don't think he kicked one thing well ?

Carrying an injury, or not handling some stick from the Everton fans ?
  • You're right - I hadn't thought of the stick from the Everton fans - keep thinking he's one of ours!
  • edited November 2006

I thought Everton and Mc Fadden in particular were excellent for 20 minutes or so first half so I was encouraged when we weathered that pressure and gradually came into it ourselves. I'm just thankful Johnson and Cahill were missing!Otherwise I think they would have scored a goal or two.

Holland tries but really hasn't got it now. Faye was left with too much to do. We need Kish alongside Faye. Traore did really well considering the length of his lay off.

Why do we lump it in the air for Baby Bent so much? We've got pace in the side so should play it to feet more than we do.

Positives though were Les Reed making the right substitution at the right time ( Dowie would have been a rabbit in the headlights) and the fact that the players looked up for it.

If we continue to show that spirit I think we'll be ok although it will be tough.

Good to see you again Ollie and meet Ketman, Baconsarnie and Cheeseroll.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    Ambrose 3- sorry but he isn't performing anywhere near the level he is capable of, he needs to be "rested" again
    Reid 7 - our best player and maybe our big hope for saving the season
    Faye 5 - not awful but too wooden, needs to be hungrier
    Holland 4 - also wooden, not a playmaker or ball winner, does little things well but essentially makes no difference ie. a good player in a good team, an average player in an average team and a poor player in a poor team
    Kishishev - should be in for Holland, he may be accused of being headless by some but you can never accuse him of being wooden - we need his passion
    Rommedahl 6 - a couple of decisions went against him in the first half and seemed to give up, fortunately woke up when we scored - the thing is we need Romm he lifts us and scares defenders, needs a kick up the arse - could have been the hero of the Valley if he had his shooting boots on today
    Darren Bent 5 - struggling today, got more lively when Marcus B came on but that effort at the end was way off - lack of confidence creeping in ? I hope not.
    Marcus Bent 8 - very impressed by his performance today, playing against Everton probably lifted him a bit but I think he should be given a run in the starting XI now
    EL Karkouri 7 - good value for money again some nice backheels and lunging two footed tackles - he needs to be a bit more careful with those
    Herman 5, Luke 5, Traore 6, Carson nothing to do (but poor kicking)

The last 25 minutes gave us hope for the season and some good backing from the crowd and I was very pleased to see the team clapped off the pitch - not the three points we so wanted but the next best thing in the end I guess. Let's hope the confidence and belief is back with the squad . And let's hope Kish and Marcus B come in for Holland and Ambrose next week and we see a lot more movement from the players.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Ambrose 3- sorry but he isn't performing anywhere near the level he is capable of, he needs to be "rested" again
    Reid 7 - our best player and maybe our big hope for saving the season
    Faye 5 - not awful but too wooden, needs to be hungrier
    Holland 4 - also wooden, not a playmaker or ball winner, does little things well but essentially makes no difference ie. a good player in a good team, an average player in an average team and a poor player in a poor team
    Kishishev - should be in for Holland, he may be accused of being headless by some but you can never accuse him of being wooden - we need his passion
    Rommedahl 6 - a couple of decisions went against him in the first half and seemed to give up, fortunately woke up when we scored - the thing is we need Romm he lifts us and scares defenders, needs a kick up the arse - could have been the hero of the Valley if he had his shooting boots on today
    Darren Bent 5 - struggling today
    Marcus Bent 8 - very impressed by his performance today, playing against Everton probably lifted him a bit but I think he should be given a run in the starting XI now
    EL Karkouri 7 - good value for money again some nove backheels and lunging two footed tackles - he needs to be a bit more careful with those
    Herman 5, Luke 5, Traore 6, Carson nothing to do (but poor kicking)

Pretty well sums up my view Salad. Except i would add that, to Matt Holland's credit, when he needed to get stuck in, he really did, especially as his co- centre midfielder went awol for a lot of the game.

IMHO- nothing drastically wrong today- it's a lot about confidence and today would have helped with that.

Bring on the Blades!!!!
  • Are people still insisting on playing Sorondo in front of El k when he comes back?

Maybe he makes the few odd decisions but generally a very good defender imo.
  • Your are right - I probably was a bit harsh on Matty - he out the effort in but I don't think he is a player who can help take us out of this situation - that said if Reid and Faye are on top of their games then Holland will be effective too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Are people still insisting on playing Sorondo in front of El k when he comes back? Maybe he makes the few odd decisions but generally a very good defender imo.

He is doing well at the moment, so I think the answer is no, although to be fair we don't know that much about Sorodo - apart from a tendency to get injured here.
  • I'm afraid that game has done nothing to lift my spirits - or optimism. If we don;t win home games like that we're as good as gone with our away form.

And as for El Kak, the man is a joke. OK, so some of the things he did worked today, but he's a joke of a defender - a liability.
  • Theres just something that unnerves me about having Herm and the Elk at the back together. I expect a red or penalty given away every match. Fair enough, neither happened today but the way the Elk was diving in he can't have been too far off!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I'm afraid that game has done nothing to lift my spirits - or optimism. If we don;t win home games like that we're as good as gone with our away form.

And as for El Kak, the man is a joke. OK, so some of the things he did worked today, but he's a joke of a defender - a liability.[/quote]

A joke ay?

The man still kept us in the game, think HH should be replaced eventually, but your telling me Sorondo is a cool- headed defender, he is just as rash as El K can sometimes be.
  • Why is Ambrose getting so much grief? Hes playing out of position, he had that donkey Traore behind him so had no options whatsoever. Took alot of pressure off at times I felt. His first game starting in a while, give the bloke a chance.

El Kak finally stopped shooting from distance, now if only he'd get in the box & get his head on a few balls we might actually start looking dangerous from set pieces. Him floating the ball into the box is a complete waste of fckn time! Someone needs to tell him to stop lunging in with two feet as well, he'll get himself sent off again one of these days.

Young, waste of time...Crap today. Traore the same.

Faye was rubbish, Holland had to do a lot of running to cover him. Doesnt deserve the grief he's getting on here at all. Didnt go missing like he usually does, always wanted the ball & looked to play it easy. Get Kishi in for Faye, the same type of player & at least Kish runs & doesnt do everything at a snails pace.

Bent needs a couple of goals & support, we're missing him at the mo. A couple of opportunities he would have banged home last season.

Reid & Romm, our two best midfielders. Excellent performance from Reid & well taken goal. Doesnt ever give the ball up easily. Could have even finished them off in the second half too. Romm looked so dangerous in the second half...Needed more options when going forward though, you can say no end product but several times he put the ball into the box & no-one was anywhere near to attacking it.

All round though, not a bad performance. Plenty of chances to win the game & definately deserved the point.
  • Personally think HH gives away too many unnecessary free kicks by going into the back of people.

Also thought Holland had a decent enough game - he was certainly no worse than Faye, or indeed Reid until he got the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• herman is gash. sack him
  • I thought Darren Bent looked like he was carrying an injury too. Shame we don't have anyone decent to replace him with, since Big Bent can't stand 90 minutes of football, and fat boy Hasselbaink's probably dreaming of his next trip out shopping.

Both good and bad in today, but better than the Reading debacle.
  • i thought el kak was going to get himself sent off today with his poking and dissent to the ref!
  • its amazing, out of 24 views, you probably have 20 different views on today !

I agree with bits from everyone, but i do agree with Off It's summary. If we don't win our home games we're as good as gone with our away form.
  • I think today needed to settle the ship-

Take a bit of time to look back over the last two weeks. A true fan doesn't need it explaining!

Reading was atrocious and quite rightly could dampen the passion of even the most die hard fan- but it followed the sacking of a manager which, it seems had surprised even they players- let alone the fans

Today- I saw nothing wrong- except a huge lack of confidence- we got a point today and we played well enough to get out of this situation if we ( players/fans et al) keep the faith!

That's my view- and that's why I'm off to Sheffield next Sat-

Keep the faith- seriously!
  • The sad thing is that a Charlton team of 1,2,3-6 years ago would of won that game today. Never has a game been there more for the taking than the last 10 minutes today.
  • edited November 2006
    I think you are absolutely spot on- hence my total annoyance when i had to keep standing up for the fans who were leaving early-

But it was also there for the losing- and TBH- i'd settle for a "settling of the ship" point, because a home loss would have been really unbearable.
  • Encouraged by the last 15 minutes but still think most sides would have beaten Everton today.

The four points that have been dropped against them at Watford may well come back to haunt us. Reid took his goal well and that improved his confidence but I still feel he's not doing enough, Faye was poor and though Holland gives 100% he doesnt cut it at this level anymore. Ambrose did nothing but he's as much a left winger as Scott Carson.

Romm always looks dangerous when running at pace but must sort out his final delivery. Gives me the hump when I hear fans getting on his back just because he doesnt put his foot in, we've known for a long while that hes never gonna be like that, let him do what he does best which is running with the ball. Unless JT has a sudden return to form Dennis is still our only player capable of doing that.

Thought Young and Traore did ok but centre of defence will always give me the jitters with Borat there. How many times does he get the wrong side of his man?, how many times have we seen forwards unmarked in dangerous positions this season? As ive said before I dont think its a coincidence that we are in this position with him playing every game. Look forward to seeing Diawara return and if Cory Gibbs is a decent left back then Reed has some difficult selection decisions.

Why does Marcus Bent only play well when he comes on as a sub?

I can see us, Watford and Sheff Utd being stranded by xmas. We simply HAVE to win up there, I dont think thats being too ridiculous even at this stage of the season.
  • HH and the ELK although reasonaly effective today worry me, both of them could have got sent off today.

I thought Traore had a good game and pushed on forward particularly in the 2nd half. Young is not having a good season.

Holland was OK but Kish would be better. Faye played poorly at times and should have scored with is free header.

We played well for 5 minutes here and there and as soon as Ambrose was subbed played well for a sustained period.

Ambrose was so ineffective, Romm for all his running about he really only came in to the game late on.

Everton were poor - points a point but we need to start oh you all know.......
  • Why is Ambrose getting so much grief? Hes playing out of position, he had that donkey Traore behind him so had no options whatsoever. Took alot of pressure off at times I felt. His first game starting in a while, give the bloke a chance

What he didn't do much to my annoyance was track back even Romm tried even though he is very lightweight. Offered chuff all, what would be his best position then providing he still has a future?