Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Saturday 9th October 1976. Charlton 3 Hull 1

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Footbal League Division 2. Saturday 9th October 1976. The Valley. Att: 10,345

Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Hales 25 32 85) Hull City 1 (1) (Galvin 44)

Charlton: Wood, Berry, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Flanagan, Bowman, Peacock. Unused sub: Hammond.

Hull: Wealands, Daniel, De Vines, Bremner, Croft, Haigh, Nisbet, Hawley, Sunley (Staniforth 65), Hemmerman, Galvin.

Referee: K Baker (Rugby)

Goal of the season: Highlights of the game were shown on ITV's 'The Big Match' the following day. On 8th May 1977, Hales (by then a Derby County player). was presented with ITV's Goal of the Season award for his second strike in this game. Colin Powell, who provided the cross for the goal was also in the studio to see Hales receive his accolade.

Comments

• Options
    Great goal it was, too - one end of the pitch to the other in a very fluent move.
  • Options
    i was there at the tender age of 7
  • Options
    was there. The late Billy Bremner when coming off the pitch (so media said) "whose the guy with the beard ?"
  • Options
    Ahh -remember the days when we were better than Hull!! ;-)
  • Options
    weegie u aint an oldie r u ?
  • Options
    Very memorable game. My brothers first ever game on his 6th birthday.
  • Options
    I was in the Covered End, just about level with the left hand post and had a brilliant view of the goal. I am pretty sure I'm on the ITV footage but, I can't quite pick me out.

If anybody hasn't seen the goal, it's worth seeing. It's on the 70's video, and a few others.
  • Options
    I think that was the game where on of my mates was photographed standing up at the fence on the East Terrace, with a scarf around his wrist as a youngster, published in one of the books.
  • Options
    Remember watching the whole of this from the south terrace for some reason, most games we used to go behind the goal Charlton were attacking which meant switching round at half time - try doing that nowadays. Alternatively we'd watch it all from the east terrace - or "The big side" as it was known then, again shifting along at half time. As for THAT goal, it wasn't until the next day it dawned on me how good a team goal it was, most games we used to have what seemed like 30 shots on goal and at the time we just thought "Standard Killer finish". Another thing worth pointing out is that in those days Charlton were on TV about as often Halleys comet is sighted, so its a bit of luck this gem was preserved for posterity.
  • Options
    They'd never get away with that scaffold supported TV gantry perched on the East Terrace now would they? Health and saftey would have a field day.

You normally got two games on a Saturday night on Match of the Day and then three on a Sunday afternoon for The Big Match. Only live stuff in those days was the cup final which we'd watch from 10.00am until the finish.

Jumpers for goalposts......... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GCL7Le77rd8&feature=related
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone remember who we played when Hunt was awarded a goal even tho he missed....I thought it was against Hull but looking at the scorers for this match it's wasn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]weegie u aint an oldie r u ?

You don't know me at all, do you, GH? Not only a woman, but been going to football since the early 70s...not many can say that! ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Anyone remember who we played when Hunt was awarded a goal even tho he missed....I thought it was against Hull but looking at the scorers for this match it's wasn't.[/quote]

Oldham - who we used to always beat down here in those days, just like we always lost at Bolton Luton, Sheff Utd, etc, etc
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone

You normally got two games on a Saturday night on Match of the Day and then three on a Sunday afternoon for The Big Match. Only live stuff in those days was the cup final which we'd watch from 10.00am until the finish.[/quote]

Cup final Mastermind, Cup final It's a knockout......Now you'd have Cup final big brother I suppose
  • Options
    the game Hunt scored but the ball missed hit the wall and then went in via the side of the net was Oldham. was there with my dad that day, we won 4 v 2
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited October 2008
    Funny how some games stick in your mind....like somebody else said, Im pretty sure Im in some of the footage too...ued to stand on the right side of the covered end.....anybody remember when the right side, the middle and the left side used have a bit of a to do?
  • Options
    My memories of that game written last year on my blog. I was corrected that Powell's storming run was actually down the left wing.

http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2007/12/memories-of-hull-city.html
  • Options
    KILLER!
  • Options
    They had a tiger club on the pitch before the game from a circus, that was on Blackheath at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at this game and as the camera panned down the east terrace at half time on thetelly you could see me looking back up it. I was so excited as a 10 year old lad.

• Options
    DA1 said:

I was so excited as a 10 year old lad.

Yeah right :-)

• Options
    In the days when we could walk to the other end of the ground at half-time,which is what I did that day and treasured the memories of a rare Charlton hat-trick.And it was on The Big Match next day.We need some recognition for Halesy at The Valley---we can see Colin Powell at any old home game!
  • Options
    Not olden, GOLDEN !
  • Options
    Just watched this on BT sport classics. Good god - the quality of football was atrocious. 

Ground looked relatively well occupied for only a 10k crowd. 
  • Options
    Just watched this on BT sport classics. Good god - the quality of football was atrocious. 

Ground looked relatively well occupied for only a 10k crowd. 
    I got there really early that day  - 1pmish. There were about 50 hull fans in the Jimmy Seed. About 100 Charlton fans in the Covered End started singing Hull songs to "pretend" Hull had taken it. They made their way triumphantly round to the Covered End and then got run out again! Well it made me laugh on the day..

Watched some cup quarter final highlights from over the years with my son. The game from the 90s (Wendies v Rams) was appalling. What surprised me was how good the seventies game was with a lot more passing round the back than I thought there would be.