Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

formation away from home.

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
I am very much of a 4-4-2 man myself , but I can understand there are times when you must go away from home and play 4-5-1.

Old Trafford for example - Stamford Bridge. The Emirtaes (oh, sorry -forgot Hull went there and played 3 up front and won)

not to b****y Forest (bottom) Donny (3rd from bottom) and Palace (6th from bottom)

PARDEW - SORT IT OUT.

Comments

• I find myself, for once, agreeing with you. Thanks for the lift home btw !!
  • 4-5-1 wouldn't be too bad, if Gray was up top and Semedo in a holding role. Two physical players you need if we insist on playing hoof it.
  • totally agree golfy the master curbs knew how to work that;-)

donny forest and palace tough teams and places to go and eek out a result with free flowing football in this competitive exciting league
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]totally agree golfy the master curbs knew how to work that;-)

donny forest and palace tough teams and places to go and eek out a result with free flowing football in this competitive exciting league

three away games, what five efforts at goal in total, what more can you ask for. Isn't that free flowing enough for you ??
  • yeah you're right large much better than i should expect ;-)
  • Was going to post something similar myself to Golfie's post. 4-5-1 only works when either playing at a club where 0-0 would be a great result (i.e. at the top clubs) or where you have the players who can quickly support the 1 so it quickly becomes 4-3-3. Also the 1 has to be extremely good at playing up front on his own. Am not knocking Varney but he isn't the type who can do that and not only that but it suffocates as he is not ble to roam out wide a bit more.
    I am certainly not a Pardew out man (yet) but he will get slated for playing that formation and should get even more stick for not changing it an awful lot earlier. It was only Crystal Palace for ffs.
  • 451 works with a target man not Varney - crazy just don't get it.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I am very much of a 4-4-2 man myself , but I can understand there are times when you must go away from home and play 4-5-1.

Old Trafford for example - Stamford Bridge. The Emirtaes (oh, sorry -forgot Hull went there and played 3 up front and won)

not to b****y Forest (bottom) Donny (3rd from bottom) and Palace (6th from bottom)

PARDEW - SORT IT OUT.

Agreed. Was saying the same thing myself. Take away the fact it was a local derby, and they were basically a rubbish team in the relegation zone. We should've gone there fired up to attack them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]451 works with a target man not Varney - crazy just don't get it.

Exactly. It works if the '1' is Drogba or Torres. With Varney it does not!!
  • Spot on these posts.

4-5-1 away from home is acceptable in the Premier League if you are up against Man U, Chelski or that ilk.

Away to a Palace side just out of the relegation zone it is not.

And if he is going to play that, even a Sunday U-9s manager could see that Varney can't be the 1.

What is Pardew on?????????
  • Sponsored links:

• The formation wasn't the problem, it was the method of play. Having watched Varney struggle to win high balls or hold it up at Forest I can't understand why he repeat the experiment. His game is ball to feet and running at lumbering defenders (ike Paddy). The wingers were too far away from Varney, the odd time he did get a knock down, as was Ambrose. We either need to play free flowing, passing football OR get a big target man in (someone in the Adebola mould - I know people will piss and moand about this suggestion, but they generally don't understand the game or the reality of the Championship). Personally I'd go for the latter approach, Stoke and Hull played a lot of lumpy football last year, I think it's the best way to prosper in this league, on a budget. Whatever, if your game plan is hoofing the ball at a small, slight, isolated front man, we'll get what we got yesterday.
  • I don't have a problem with the formation, and the players last night should have been good enough to make it work, but the problem wasn't the 5 in midfield, it was the 30 yard gap between Bailey/Holland and Bou/Ambrose/Sam which was filled by Derry and Watson.

That was the real problem with the way we played last night
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't have a problem with the formation, and the players last night should have been good enough to make it work, but the problem wasn't the 5 in midfield, it was the 30 yard gap between Bailey/Holland and Bou/Ambrose/Sam which was filled by Derry and Watson.

But who gets the blame the manager or the players for not getting it right???
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't have a problem with the formation, and the players last night should have been good enough to make it work, but the problem wasn't the 5 in midfield, it was the 30 yard gap between Bailey/Holland and Bou/Ambrose/Sam which was filled by Derry and Watson.

But who gets the blame the manager or the players for not getting it right???

A bit of both, the manager should spot it, but someone in the midfield should take some personal responisblity on the pitch to deal with it to.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The formation wasn't the problem, it was the method of play. Having watched Varney struggle to win high balls or hold it up at Forest I can't understand why he repeat the experiment. His game is ball to feet and running at lumbering defenders (ike Paddy). The wingers were too far away from Varney, the odd time he did get a knock down, as was Ambrose. We either need to play free flowing, passing football OR get a big target man in (someone in the Adebola mould - I know people will piss and moand about this suggestion, but they generally don't understand the game or the reality of the Championship). Personally I'd go for the latter approach, Stoke and Hull played a lot of lumpy football last year, I think it's the best way to prosper in this league, on a budget. Whatever, if your game plan is hoofing the ball at a small, slight, isolated front man, we'll get what we got yesterday.[/quote]

I have no problem with us hoofing our way out of the division as a means to an end.

However, if we are going to do that then 2 things. 1) bring in players that are able to play that way and 2) don't give it the big un about trying to "play" you way out of the division.

Similar to last season Pardew doesn't seem to know whether to stick or twist. He has put together a side which looks capable of playing some decent stuff but doesn't have the bottle to do it and seemingly instructs them to knock it long.

imo Pardew has to have courage in his convictions, pick his best 11 players, get them playing the way he wants in a formation that suits them (4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or whatever) and then stick with it.